Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the 3 inch exhaust will fit on to the stock car or do I need to get the cated downpipe, or should I just get the 2 inch if it'll fit on the stock one. I also would like to know if zzp sells headers that would fit on the stock downpipe, I live in California that's why and the cated downpipe won't pass emissions

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
It will fit. 3in is an overkill unless youre planning tvs/turbo later on though.
Id personally go 2.5
And they do sell a shorty header that will fit the stock down pipe. I know California is strict. But they also sell mid length and lomg tube with catted down pipes. EPA got onto companies selling "off road" downpipes, so zzp no longer has a catless option

Reactions: nicmento

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will fit. 3in is an overkill unless youre planning tvs/turbo later on though.
Id personally go 2.5
And they do sell a shorty header that will fit the stock down pipe. I know California is strict. But they also sell mid length and lomg tube with catted down pipes. EPA got onto companies selling "off road" downpipes, so zzp no longer has a catless option
So if I understand correctly your saying the 3inch exhaust will fit the stock downpipe as is and the shorty header will aswell do you know if the shorty header will be able to pass Cali smog.

·
Registered
886 Posts
EPA got onto companies selling "off road" downpipes, so zzp no longer has a catless option
That's disappointing! I had my ZZP catless LT on for almost 10 years and 100,000 miles. In retrospect, I probably should have opted for the weld-in resonator as it was quite loud under full boost. However, I did love the "free-breathing" aspect of the header even despite the eye-watering exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So if I understand correctly your saying the 3inch exhaust will fit the stock downpipe as is and the shorty header will aswell do you know if the shorty header will be able to pass Cali smog.
3" will fit on the car just fine. You just have to make sure your inlet is 2.5" unless you are changing out the down pipe as well. Stock downpipe has a 2.5" outlet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Was going to say the same for the 2.5 vs the 3. I have the zzp 2.5 inch with the stock down pipe and manifold with the zzp resonator and the car sounds awesome. Nice rumble on acceleration without a terrible drone while driving on the freeway.
As for the down pipe and headers. Nothing they sell or anyone else does I know of exist for Cali. The downpipes are catted but not smog legal for Cali. The minute you take it to a star station here and they spot it car will fail regardless of how clean it’s running. Part of the reason I still have the stock intake too. But you keep the stock bits and swap them out after and before smog every couple years you can get away with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always recommend 2.5, I have 3 and it has so much drone (given I have a custom exhaust not ZZP's), and way tougher to make it actually sound good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts