Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought 350z's were like G35's on steriods???????? i was goin down local main street and 350z a guy with his girl in it is following me so i go into showoff mode :p
any way he follows me for a while i ride second until 4 grand wait for him to get next to me then i floor it (to tell him im interested) then slow down. well this time he got close but then he just didnt wait and hit ghost :( so i caught up with him at light, truck in left llane so i get behind him. Then we take a turn, i took it normal but i knew the lane merges into one so i get next to him so we can settle this :rolleyes: and i floor it! he just gets behind me (im assuming stupid girl dont want him to race) then i get in left lane when it opens up and wait he finally gets anough balls to race im in second (4 grand) already waiting :cool: i pull for a second then shift (me a granny shifter :( ) then he pulls right back up to me then i run all the way to redline shift then he pulled a car and a half , then i ran all the way to redline again and he didnt start gaining no more his girl had a weird look on her face , then i got to light he is looking at me like WTF :) then he decided to put window down and said that thing is nice take care of it , and when ya get some stuff done to it ill race ya again :D

then i said thanx and went home!

these things are 280+ hp and torque im lost unless he had auto

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Weight of the car has something to do with it as well as how cranky his girl friend was sitting next to him. 350Zs are quick but they aren't as sporty as you'd expect.

·
Registered
416 Posts
cvenom2122 said:
o :eek: lol thanx man i like em and all but the are a waste of a back seat :p

G35's are alot better looking!!!!
In terms of straight-line speed, they are right around where we are. In terms of handling, I think we have the upper hand. They are heavy.

P.S.--the backseat is to make them cheaper to insure. That's why some guys get the infinity instead of the nissan.

·
Registered
710 Posts
G-35s

G-35s are bad-ass man. I'd take one over a 350Z anyday. They look so sweet especially a black one with one of those stock spoilers, looks like the bat mobile. But of course, I'm still loyal to my Redline.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Weight does play a BIG role in their speed. They're quick, but I mean, a 5.8 second run to 60 mph in a car that costs $10k more . . . that's a disproportionate number of $ to tenths of a second . . .

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
TXRLU said:
Weight of the car has something to do with it as well as how cranky his girl friend was sitting next to him. 350Zs are quick but they aren't as sporty as you'd expect.
There was one at the drags yesterday sporting a Veilside body kit that was in the mid 13's.

Shanethan said:
In terms of straight-line speed, they are right around where we are. In terms of handling, I think we have the upper hand. They are heavy.
Last time I checked there is nothing out there to get our cars in the mid 13's, so we are behind. Also at the last autoX I was at, the 350Zs were putting down mid to high 33 second course times, which puts them right where a Red Line should be - I do not see an advantage to us. OF course, I'm just speaking from personal observations on actiual race tracks under racing conditions, not from what I've read in a magazine or a manufacture's promo literature. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
There was one at the drags yesterday sporting a Veilside body kit that was in the mid 13's.

Well I'm talking about a stock 350Z. I figured the 350Z to be atleast a low 5 second car to 60 mph and a 13 second car in the 1/4 mile. Given the history of the Z car it has always been up there performance wise. I remember Z cars being more competitive with cars higher up in the food chain. Seems maybe its slipping in its "old" age?!?!

·
Registered
888 Posts
TXRLU said:
Well I'm talking about a stock 350Z. I figured the 350Z to be atleast a low 5 second car to 60 mph and a 13 second car in the 1/4 mile. Given the history of the Z car it has always been up there performance wise. I remember Z cars being more competitive with cars higher up in the food chain. Seems maybe its slipping in its "old" age?!?!
teh 300zx had a twin turbo 6 that put down i believe 300hp in the early 90s and 320 in the later, i could be wrong about the 320. Anyway the new 350Z puts down 280hp and its very heavy, they don't commonly break into the 13s stock, they are a low 14 second car.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
elohdaeh78 said:
teh 300zx had a twin turbo 6 that put down i believe 300hp in the early 90s and 320 in the later, i could be wrong about the 320. Anyway the new 350Z puts down 280hp and its very heavy, they don't commonly break into the 13s stock, they are a low 14 second car.
Yeah their weight is the only thing holding them back. Aren't they using the 350Z platform in Japan in place of the Skyline?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
what about the emission restrictions they have to follow when they're imported into the US? I bet they're a bitch on the cars performance

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
IeatRice said:
Yeah their weight is the only thing holding them back. Aren't they using the 350Z platform in Japan in place of the Skyline?
Yea those new "Skylines" are pretty disappointing if you ask me. They shouldn't look anything like the 350z's or G35. They're definetely not going to be anything like the old R32s or previous models that can be easily tuned into one killer car.

·
Registered
487 Posts
jpapa said:
Yea those new "Skylines" are pretty disappointing if you ask me. They shouldn't look anything like the 350z's or G35. They're definetely not going to be anything like the old R32s or previous models that can be easily tuned into one killer car.

so you are making that assumption based on the looks, or do you actually know ANYTHING about the powerplant.

ANd btw, the G35 is a skyline, they make regular old 4 door cars in Japan called skylines, just like the 350Z is a fairlady Z in japan.

And, the skylines were never THAT great in the first place :eek:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
haunter said:
so you are making that assumption based on the looks, or do you actually know ANYTHING about the powerplant.

ANd btw, the G35 is a skyline, they make regular old 4 door cars in Japan called skylines, just like the 350Z is a fairlady Z in japan.

And, the skylines were never THAT great in the first place :eek:
When I looked into the new Skylines before, I remember that their powerplant as well as looks weren't that impressive.
And the previous Skylines (namely the R34s) weren't that impressive stock. They only have like 260hp or something around there. But their twin turboed inline 6 engines make them very very tuneable, which they're supposed to be very very easy to tune and easily bump over 400hp without that expensive mods on there. Reasons for this is the computer in the car that you can use to monitor and control everything in them, and that computer comes stock.
So if you happened to see a Skyline over here (which there are very few, you have to get the specially imported), don't expect it to not be that impressive. I highly doubt that the people that import them over here are keeping them stock. They import them for a reason: to tune the shit out of them and destroy anything and everything. If they are importing them, then you can assume they have the money to put anything they want on that car.

If you get a chance, download the Top Gear episode that they drive an R34 in. You'll see what I'm talking about.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.