Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know we all love our Ion Redlines here - but as my new user name suggests...I think I have a lemon. Here is the history:

Purchased the Ion redline in 2004 - new (probably the first mistake, I know). In the first couple years I had endless fit and finish problems - some of my favorites: shifter knob came off in my hand shifting from 1-2, drivers side rear door latch occasionally stops working, cruise control randomly stopped working during long drives - and then randomly would work again hours later....etc - mostly fit and finish issues. All of this led to me getting the extended warranty for 1/2 price - best deal I ever got.

Since the purchase of the extended they have replaced my radio (turn the car on and no sound comes out....turn the vehicle off and then on again and you get sound), both of my front wheel bearings (that was at about 42k miles) and currently my car is in the shop because apparently the 3rd gear synchro has decided to fail.

I don't race or abuse my car - I do my fair share of city driving, but it gets out on the highway pretty frequently.

The question is - my extended warranty which has covered these problems up until now expires in September.....do I love a Lemon? and if so - does anyone have any recommendations for a car that is as fun to drive as this one, but wont break all the time - and is on the market these days?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Honestly, you gotta look at it this way, it's still a saturn. You will get some problems, some you can live with and some not so much. The shifter is a common problem, happened to me.My solution. I replaced it with a B&m short throw. For some reason within the last 6-8 years gm has seem to have alot of wheel bearing issues, on multiple models. The sycro seems to happen to some around here.
The latch. ehh, replace it. If it hasn't been already. The radio. Happens, electronics get old, wear out( yours seems too soon though) replace it with a nice aftermarket. Maybe don't look at everything as a curse, but maybe as a reason to upgrade. Cheaper in alot of cases and functions better. cruise control... maybe the switch, I've heard plent of problems with those. Do you have a lemon or love a lemon........ simple no. You have a saturn. haha I bet you don't have a single door ding

:bananahum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I got over the fit and finish issues really (shifter knob was fixed, cruise control was the switch) - its this latest one with the synchro that is just driving me crazy, i mean really - a transmission issue at 52k miles?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
honestlly, I cant say it's normal, but it happens. I've heard of trans goin within 20k some last 220k never really know. I have 70k on mine with no problems, but I've treated my car to plenty of regular and maybe over maintance.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
My 04 has been a great car. My C.C. used to act up, then I figured out it doesn't like to be messed with a lot. If I set it, and leave it alone, it works flawlessly, if I keep pressing the buttons, it will shut off. I have almost 100k miles now, and haven't had anything major *knock on plastic* go wrong. I had the cat/flex pipe replaced under warranty, as well as the passlock sensor, and had to buy a lock cylinder just after my warranty ran out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my moaning about my transmission issues aside....

Has anyone found any cars that are as fun to drive as the ion redline? I haven't decided to abandon mine yet, because despite the failures I really like it, but I've also been casually looking around - the only thing that on paper even sounds like fun to drive is a Mini - and those are a price stretch for me.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
Well, the way I see it, the car irl was pretty cheap new. Sure I could have got a car like a sti for about nearly double the price, but I'll just take that $ and put it into this car. If my motor blows up, I'll gladly rebuild it better fairly easily. You will have things go wrong, but at least gm is usually cheaper and easier to fix than an import. I have owned 3 hondas, a mitsu, and a suburu, and the saturn is the best of all of them all around. The subie was great until it got over 100k miles and I had to start buying parts, I couldn't afford it. I know I can get parts cheap most of the time now.

But, for your last question, if I had to get a different car, I would get a turbo cobalt or sky/solstice.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Yeah, I got over the fit and finish issues really (shifter knob was fixed, cruise control was the switch) - its this latest one with the synchro that is just driving me crazy, i mean really - a transmission issue at 52k miles?
If your under warranty be greatful it happend now.

My 2nd gear died around that time and i had no warranty so i had it replaced out of my pocket.

·
THE LEGEND
2,603 Posts
The tranni's in the 04' suck balls. Mine blew up at about 55,000 miles. Downshifted into 3rd to put the smackdown on a WRX, ground like I didn't use the clutch, went into neutral, & never went into gear again. I installed an 05 cobalt lsd tranni. When me & my tranni guy took it apart, the clutch was in 10 pieces. Upon further inspection there was really nothing wrong w/ the tranni itself except there was just too much play in the gear tree's & our best guess is the tree w/ the gears on it moved a little, bound up, & the clutch was the weak point & gave. My tranni guy said I could actually put the tranni back in w/ a new clutch & it would work, but would prolly do the samething. He said the 05 redline tranni's have a number of revisions which probably was 1 correcting that problem. So while searching for a new tranni I found the chevy dealer was MUCH cheaper than the saturn dealer. So I went that route.:) But all in all I love my car & it's been fun modding it. It's had it's problems here & there, but thats life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts