Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
sunfirejoe said:
wooo hooooo, im gonna have a crazy motor for this year, :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D and even crazier the year afterwards

did you buy the stroker crank or somthing????

and do you drive a sunfire? or is that just your handle.

·
=[ÜBER MODERATOR]=
9,520 Posts
socalsilverRL said:
thats the plan...i thought you needed a blast furnace to melt the aluminum..... im thinking of making a foam mold of the intake mani so it'll fit to a **** *****...lol
Foam works for aluminum quite well, but it'll be harder than you think. 1) you'll have to do it a few times because it's gonna shrink and form weird at that size of casting (youll keep having to remake the foam, but you can melt the aluminum down again)

You'll also need to do a SHIT load of polishing. The finish from lost foeam casting is less than desirable.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
^^^yea...i made a few lost foam molds in HS (mostly bricks and slugs with imprints on them)...havent really tried to tackle an intake manifold. Im going to be working closely with a metal fabricator. And im going to take his advice on how to make the manifold..
we'll see...i gotta work on freeing up some $$ for this project...it that dont work...im goin to the bottle (of Jameson's).

·
=[ÜBER MODERATOR]=
9,520 Posts
socalsilverRL said:
^^^yea...i made a few lost foam molds in HS (mostly bricks and slugs with imprints on them...havent really tried to tackle an intake manifold. Im going to be working closely with a metal fabricator. And im going to take his advice on how to make the manifold..
we'll see...i gotta work on freeing up some $$ for this project...it that dont work...im goin to the bottle (of Jameson's).
Your best bet is to just use sheet metal and parts you can buy inline and welding it. Cast intake manifold will not be pretty on the inside where you can't polish it. You can buy the little things that the fuel injectors site on, and weld them to alumnim tubing and such.

Just curious... what kinda manfold ya thinking? because i am sure your well awaer that the laminova goes bye bye, which means your thinking turbo?

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
sorry missed your response, brian. i plan on using the laminovas still thats why i was going with cast aluminum. that way i could still bolt up a S/C to it if possible, i mean, if that is too hard im gonna just see if I can machine some kind of adapter that will still use the bypass. My first idea, was to just redo our manifold to include more laminovas, but cost v. gain called that one out...

(this is NOT for a m90 swap)...

·
=[ÜBER MODERATOR]=
9,520 Posts
socalsilverRL said:
sorry missed your response, brian. i plan on using the laminovas still thats why i was going with cast aluminum. that way i could still bolt up a S/C to it if possible, i mean, if that is too hard im gonna just see if I can machine some kind of adapter that will still use the bypass. My first idea, was to just redo our manifold to include more laminovas, but cost v. gain called that one out...

(this is NOT for a m90 swap)...
I see where your going with this.

Yea, your not going to be able to cast something that complex with readily available tools. And adapter is going to be your best bet. You mind PMing me what you have in mind?

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
lol...yea, im totally jacknig the thread...
hey at least its free bump for RandD...:D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I am not a hard core mechanic, and I don't pretend to be. Would putting a stroker crank on an otherwise stock LSJ make and easy gain? Would alot of tuning be required for something like that?

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
yea...you have to clearance the cylinders (so the rods clear the cylinder walls). and you will result in more displace ment, and it will raise compression. you will need new computer tuning.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
that is what I figured, but I thought I would ask anyway...

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
yea. im not a crazy mechanic, but i have worked (more like sat and watched other people) on stroked ls1's...
RandD makes great stuff for this engine. You oughta PM him if you are interested in any of this things. He helped make the fuel rail for the TwinCharged's RL...that and he has an adapter plate for scrapping the S/C and going turbo.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Mike I should stroke my engine HUH......

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
is the LE5 crank and rods forged?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
fullthrottle said:
is the LE5 crank and rods forged?
I am going to be selling the entire built and balanced 2.4 bottom end instead of just the crank. the internals consist of:

forged connectiing rods
forged 8.8/1 pistons with coated skirts
block bored .020 over and professionally bored, honed and balanced
head studs
high performance head gasket

the crank is the same mettalurgy as the lsj but the bottom end is strengthened over the LSJ with approx 4 lbs more casting in strategic spots as per GM information. all head studs and coolant/oil passages are in the same locations. this is my spare engine and I have an exact duplicate in my turbo solstice. LSJ owners would need to transfer required pulleys to this block for supercharger etc and possibly some sensors. Its a little over 20% increase in displacement with the overbore.:hungry:

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
RandD said:
I am going to be selling the entire built and balanced 2.4 bottom end instead of just the crank. the internals consist of:

forged connectiing rods
forged 8.8/1 pistons with coated skirts
block bored .020 over and professionally bored, honed and balanced
head studs
high performance head gasket

the crank is the same mettalurgy as the lsj but the bottom end is strengthened over the LSJ with approx 4 lbs more casting in strategic spots as per GM information. all head studs and coolant/oil passages are in the same locations. this is my spare engine and I have an exact duplicate in my turbo solstice. LSJ owners would need to transfer required pulleys to this block for supercharger etc and possibly some sensors. Its a little over 20% increase in displacement with the overbore.:hungry:
pm sent.........

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
I think ill pick this bad boy up.... randD did you get my second and third PM?

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
NoRemorse said:
I am seriously afraid for when this thing gets put back together...
huh????? im actually saving money by going this route.....

21 - 40 of 45 Posts