Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems nobody makes a true race wheel in our poor Redline's bolt pattern, eh? Well, I'm working on that as well. Have a major manufacturer listening, need to show them someone would buy it.

Can't disclose the manufacturer (yet), but they're major. What I'm trying to talk them into is a 16x7 and 17x7 OR 16x6.5 and 17x7.5 (that extra 1/2 inch for you auto-x peeps) with the +42 mm offset and 5x110 mm bolt pattern (probably a +32mm if we get the wider version to put the extra width on the outside). They'd be a 5 spoke one piece forged unit, around 8 pounds for the 16 and 9 for the 17. That's a BIG gain there, folks....

Don't know pricing yet. Not cheap, but not outrageous. If they're reasonable, who's interested?

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
BigBrother said:
Seems nobody makes a true race wheel in our poor Redline's bolt pattern, eh? Well, I'm working on that as well. Have a major manufacturer listening, need to show them someone would buy it.

Can't disclose the manufacturer (yet), but they're major. What I'm trying to talk them into is a 16x7 and 17x7 OR 16x6.5 and 17x7.5 (that extra 1/2 inch for you auto-x peeps) with the +42 mm offset and 5x110 mm bolt pattern (probably a +32mm if we get the wider version to put the extra width on the outside). They'd be a 5 spoke one piece forged unit, around 8 pounds for the 16 and 9 for the 17. That's a BIG gain there, folks....

Don't know pricing yet. Not cheap, but not outrageous. If they're reasonable, who's interested?
Too bad our Stockers are 17x8. And how would they be that light? SSR rims aren't even that light and they use Semi-Solid Forging.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stockers are 17x8? Every source I have access to (and that's considerable, lol) says the stockers are 17x7. If they're 17x8, than so be it - I'll get these in an 8 or 8.5 inch width. As for the weight claims - there are numersous wheels on the market weighing well under 10 lbs in 16 to 17 inch sizes.

I know I'm new to these forums, but really - I'm trying to help here, not argue.... :(

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
BigBrother said:
Stockers are 17x8? Every source I have access to (and that's considerable, lol) says the stockers are 17x7. If they're 17x8, than so be it - I'll get these in an 8 or 8.5 inch width. As for the weight claims - there are numersous wheels on the market weighing well under 10 lbs in 16 to 17 inch sizes. I'm trying to help here, not argue.... :(

I've been looking and the lightest rims I've ever found were 13 lbs and they were SSR Competitions.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'll just say that the manufacturer I'm dealing with is saying under 10 lbs for the 16, and just under 10 for the 17. :shrug: If they can do it, who am I to argue? :p

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
BigBrother said:
Well, I'll just say that the manufacturer I'm dealing with is saying under 10 lbs for the 16, and just under 10 for the 17. :shrug: If they can do it, who am I to argue? :p
Yeah I agree. I'd Love to see some 17x9.

And BTW, I just ran outside and measured. They are 17x8inches.

Thanks for the info! I am excited.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indeed. Lightweight wheels are the single best performance mod you can do to any car - the only one that improves every aspect of the vehicles performance. Dropping 10 lbs from the wheels (total, both) can see over a 15 hp gain at the wheels, improves gas mileage, GREATLY improves braking performance and brake life, and the reduction in gyroscopic forces results in drastic imrovements in turn-in response and ultimate grip. I'd do 10 lb wheels before ANY other mod, on ANY car. :)

And as of right now, nobody makes one for the Redline, or even in the 5x110 at all. :(

·
Registered
674 Posts
Aeain said:
Too bad our Stockers are 17x8.
They are 17x7, it's stamped right on the inside of the wheel. Unless I read it wrong......

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
hey big i also have a few companies working on these for all of us here!! maybe we can get together on the phone poss?? and see what we both ahve in store here. pm me thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
17x9s won't fit - too wide for the front strut towers. Although the wheels are stamped 17x7, they're really about 7.5" wide - measured repeatedly on my cool balancing machines at the school where I teach. Our unique rim edge design (&*%(*%&%) keeps us from perfect inside wheel measurement for offset and diameter (on the balancer) and proper width measurement - VERY difficult to set up for balancing, and I've balanced literally thousands of tires.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just wondering if 17x7.5 rims would fit alright with no rub. Also will there be a few different patterns? Also what are they going to be? (Ex: Polished, Gunmetal, etc.)

But if they are under 10 Lbs you can count me in very very soon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the problem you will have with an 8" wide rim is you will have to purchase 225 size tires. the 215 will be to narrow and will slightly bow out.

·
Registered
487 Posts
SoCo Lime said:
the problem you will have with an 8" wide rim is you will have to purchase 225 size tires. the 215 will be to narrow and will slightly bow out.

yeah, so put meatier tires on it, thats sorta the point of going bigger :)

I am not sure btw that 16"s will clear the brakes...

and you can go 8" wide, you need to increase offset I think, put the wheel further out, you just might need to get fender flares

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
black with polished lip and i'm interested, 17's though, nothing bigger

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finishes - still up in the air, will let ya'll know when I do, lol.

As for width - by changing the ofset, you change the distance to center, so if we get the extra 1/2" (more than that and they ain't legal in SCCA stock catagories) of width, you subtract 10 or 12 mm's from the offset so that all the extra width goes to the outside.

235/40/17's are within 2 mm of the stock rolling radius, that's the optimum upsize for these cars.

I've tested and 16's will clear the calipers fine, but that's as small as you'll get - 15's are out.

Good to hear so much interest!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts