Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at a light and I see this old TA pull up a few cars behind me in the left lane. I take off from the light in a very spirited manner to try and get his attention.

Well, it worked. He followed me for about a mile but there was no good oppurtunity to race so I hit the next turn around because the opposite direction was damn near trafficless and whataya know....he follows.

I know what's gonna happen as I turn left and wait. He doesn't line up with me from my slow roll. He just punches it as soon as I'm out of his way. This gave him about a half a car jump on me so I get on it!!!! Well, he never pulled and I never gained all the way to 90 or so. It stayed at half a car.

He slows down and I roll down my window. He says, "that little thing is fast!" I told him it was a factory super charger, header and exhaust.

I said, you wanna go on the third honk? He said yeah. We were doing about 45. I honk 3 times and slammed her into second. We're off!!!!

He pulls on me in the low end and gets about a fender on me. As I go into third he has a little less than half a car. Once we hit about 100 I started to pull on him. He was not letting off either. I could hear the loud ass V8 exhaust rumbling and screaming still. I ended up with a little over half a car length on him by 125 and then I shut it down. He slowed down and said, "Holy shit, man that little car boogies!!!!" I just smiled and we gave a respectful thumbs up and I turned off at the next street.

Getting a little respect from the classic car crowd too. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
That must been one modded trans am cuz normally u wouldnt have any trouble at all taking him his year!! Good run!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mbhmustang98 said:
That must been one modded trans am cuz normally u wouldnt have any trouble at all taking him his year!! Good run!

I asked him what all he had and he said, "Too much to name". Plus, we never met at a light were we could talk. It was more like cruising at 60 or so and yelling out the window at each other. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Hi Im New, But I Like The RL I Just Dont Own One Yet, Im Friends With Little RED, He Lives In My Area, So I Plan On Getting One Here Shortly, Also Im A Female, Any Other Ladys On Here.:) I Think That Avatar Is Hilarious!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome POOGER!!!

Yeah, we have a few other ladies on here. Everyone here is very respectful to them. Don't worry, if anyone disrespects you, we'll quickly intervene and put the verbal smackdown on 'em. :)

I found that avatar on the net a while back and thought it was pretty cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,868 Posts
Well that's a good race, it'd have to be a modded '72, cuz if it were stock you'd just destroy it, they started getting real slow into the 70's (and I've hung with a stock 69 Camaro SS).

On the topic of POOGER,

(sic)
Is It Necessary To Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word In Your Posts? What Is The Point Of That? And How Do You Even Stand To Do That? It's Irritating Me!
(/sic)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
Well that's a good race, it'd have to be a modded '72, cuz if it were stock you'd just destroy it, they started getting real slow into the 70's (and I've hung with a stock 69 Camaro SS).

On the topic of POOGER,

(sic)
Is It Necessary To Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word In Your Posts? What Is The Point Of That? And How Do You Even Stand To Do That? It's Irritating Me!
(/sic)
That's a whole lot of shift button work there.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9 Posts
2004 Saturn Ion Redline- $19,000
K&N Filter- $59
Removing Stock Airbox- Free
Magnaflow Muffler installed- $149
SCdyne Header- $350

The look on the other guy's face as you hand him his ass in a Saturn- PRICELESS

Last dyno:
216.72 HP
191.21 TQ
Before header
Need I long for the red blood of the line?

No.

For the red blood of the line is nothing but a pebble in the road.

I hereby challenge you, as to all other redlines who portray themselves as "fast".

Zhuge Liang, shall wipe the forums of redlines, with the legendary civic of 9's.

Yes he shall...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
You are the biggest douche tard to grace this board in a while. Spread your gay ass ancient chinese proverbs elsewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
What a ***, Keep up the good ban work guys.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
How do you know it was a 72? That's believable because Pontiac lost about 100 hp between 71 and 72. And 300 hp in that hunk of metal is probably pretty comparable to 200 in a saturn.

I've always been a muscle car fan and I drive a 2003 Mustang GT. For some reason, though, I can't stop thinking about these dang redlines. There's something appealing about them that I can't place.

2 questions. I test drove one and I noticed an excess of wheelspin. I'm not used to the lesser grip of FWD, especially since I've never driven a light FWD car with high torque. How can you launch with all that spin? I'm probably just not used to dealing with it. My second question is what kind of gas the redline uses. Does it require high octane?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
Peachman said:
How do you know it was a 72? That's believable because Pontiac lost about 100 hp between 71 and 72. And 300 hp in that hunk of metal is probably pretty comparable to 200 in a saturn.

I've always been a muscle car fan and I drive a 2003 Mustang GT. For some reason, though, I can't stop thinking about these dang redlines. There's something appealing about them that I can't place.

2 questions. I test drove one and I noticed an excess of wheelspin. I'm not used to the lesser grip of FWD, especially since I've never driven a light FWD car with high torque. How can you launch with all that spin? I'm probably just not used to dealing with it. My second question is what kind of gas the redline uses. Does it require high octane?
lets see I'll answer all THREE of your questions..........1st question, the appeal of the Saturn is challenging cars that are supposed to beat you and surprising the owners with a "close" race. If you lose to a big V-8 or a quick luxury car there's no shame because you are in a sub 22K car. I enjoy the look of disgust from expensive car owners that I've "killed" on the road. I sometimes wonder if the owner thinks something is wrong w/their car when a "lowly saturn" keeps up with them. 2nd question, Wheelspin is somewhat difficult on these FWD cars. Best thing I can recommend is practice. I've somewhat managed with it but the throttle appears to be rather touchy. I believe the 05s are better in this regard. And your 3rd question, you can use regular unleaded but the manual suggests atleast 91 octane. The Engine Controle Module (on board computer) will tweak engine output to match the fuel used. The only thing I'd recommend with this is that you actually DO get the added performance if you use premium fuel. It comes out to about maybe $1.00-$3.00 per tank and I find its worth the extra $$$ spent. Hope this was helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
yeah but you beat a car that is over 30 years old...

technology has changed... I'm not hating on the redline, I'm a big fan of them, but I wouldn't go around bragging about beating a 72' trans am, that would be like me going around bragging about beating you guys...
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
ThatChevyGuy said:
yeah but you beat a car that is over 30 years old...

technology has changed... I'm not hating on the redline, I'm a big fan of them, but I wouldn't go around bragging about beating a 72' trans am, that would be like me going around bragging about beating you guys...
People do that all the time too, so..... He could also have tried to take one with a big block and got killed. I had a '76 that looked like shit from the outside, and had a nearly race ready Olds 455 under the hood.
 

·
the HepKitty
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
ThatChevyGuy said:
yeah but you beat a car that is over 30 years old...

technology has changed... I'm not hating on the redline, I'm a big fan of them, but I wouldn't go around bragging about beating a 72' trans am, that would be like me going around bragging about beating you guys...
Aren't you the clever one. Cars that are over 30 years old, cannot possibly be fast, you have made me see the light.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
LittleMT said:
Aren't you the clever one. Cars that are over 30 years old, cannot possibly be fast, you have made me see the light.
Thanks LittleMT.

The Saturn owners that think they are fast... get quickly passed by a 1969 Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500, and just about any other good muscle car from that year as well, not to mention some killer 1967 rides...
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top