Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my RL no one told me I had to use 91 octane or higher. Its my first high performance car and I didn't know any better. Shame on me yes haha. But my question is... Because the lower than recommended octane fuel will ignite before its where it needs to be inside the engine, i know it decreases fuel economy, but can this affect engine temperature at all? Would my car be running hotter than it should? Thus drawing more coolant than normal? See, my car has been going through coolant like a mother effer and even the dealer can't tell me where its going. If I put the 91 octane in it, and fill the coolant up again should this solve my problem? The dealer ran compression tests, leak down tests, all kinds of tests to see where the coolant is going and they said that its not ending up anywhere it shouldn't be (oil, tranny, head gaskets). All answers to my problem are greatly appreciated as well as any other input. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Yea it will knock holes in your pistons.
Your coolant is going away not because its hot. You either A: Have a leak. B: your car is burning it..
Maybe you should buy a prius?

·
Boost get some.
3,261 Posts
Well you can run lower octane in your car seeing that you have a high and low timing table. It's not recommend but there is those Safty features in place to help save your car. Just a question are you looking at the coolent in the little filler neck or the big tank on the right? Also make sure your car doesn't smoke like its a cold winter out side. If it's steaming either you got head gasket or head or block problem. Even if you drive the car while it's loosing coolent run a higher octane so the car will be happier. Also does your car idle right or sound kind of funny and is the car al stock?

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
Also check the coolant tank itself for leaks. I remember a member here having the same type of problem, searched and searched for the problem for months upon months, many many trips to the dealer later, they finally found there was a hairline crack in the bottom of the reservoir that was leaking very very slowly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking at the big tank on the right not the skinny neck in the middle. The dealership would fill it up and then in a couple days it would be almost completely gone. No smoke out the pipe at all. My temp gauge reads normal all the time. It doesn't sound funny idling at all and its not stock, gm stage 2 kit and k&n typhoon on it. A hairline crack in the bottom of the reservoir eh? Whats the easiest way I can check for that?
Thanks all for the quick replies.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm looking at the big tank on the right not the skinny neck in the middle. The dealership would fill it up and then in a couple days it would be almost completely gone. No smoke out the pipe at all. My temp gauge reads normal all the time. It doesn't sound funny idling at all and its not stock, gm stage 2 kit and k&n typhoon on it. A hairline crack in the bottom of the reservoir eh? Whats the easiest way I can check for that?
Thanks all for the quick replies.
My car was going through coolant like there was no tommorow too, It was like that for months, without any signs of it leaking. Finally after 6 months head gasket went and i got milky oil. Turned out to be my head gasket and water pump was leaking! might wanna check those out! as far as compression test went it passed with flying colors, untill it just took a crap coming home from work.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
and the only other place it would go that isn't easily visible is a leaking heater core.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
And just for the record, this vehicle IS designed to run on 87 as well as long as it's a stock car. If you have any performance modifications and are running 87 you're more likely to have trouble and you should be using premium fuel. It's definitely safer to be running the premo fuel anyway but since saturn ok's it in the manual...shouldn't have any warranty issues if something happens.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I'm guessing the low octane caused it to detonate enough to loosen the head bolts loose, I've seen it before on tuned cars and stock head bolts. Your head probably isn't down tight now

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,890 Posts
And just for the record, this vehicle IS designed to run on 87 as well as long as it's a stock car.
Do you know how the PCM reconizes that their is low octane in the gas tank?

Or is "Low Octane" mode enabled after so much KR? I have always wondered that.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Do you know how the PCM reconizes that their is low octane in the gas tank?

Or is "Low Octane" mode enabled after so much KR? I have always wondered that.
I haven't the slightest clue. I can't imagine it would be done with KR because they'd probably be warrantying a lot of motors over that. I just remember reading the "87 is ok" in the manual.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I doubt very much there is a sensor that reads the octane in the gas. It has to some other set of sensors figures it's lower octane. I would have that knock sensor involved.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Where the hell's WOPOnTour when you need him?

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
When it starts knocking it reverts to the low octane map. As long as your stock, 87 is not going to cause those problems. Putting 91 is not just going to make the car stop eating up coolant. Are you sure it's not leaking out the overflow? Is there a leak anywhere in the system? A while back my overflow tank actually busted and caused it to leak. Sounds like you might have gotten someone elses POS that they messed up. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they cant find a leak anywhere and thats whats so confusing to me. good thing i bought the warranty so I'm not paying a dime for them to fix it. This is the only thing wrong with the car, I just want the damn coolant light to stop beeping at me. I just dont know where the coolants going...

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
have you changed the pressure cap?

·
Registered
578 Posts
i would look into billabongs theory and its possible that it could be the heater core i believe i read about a member havin that problem. best of luck man

1 - 20 of 22 Posts