Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work at 4:00 a.m. on SB 15 and get cut off by some guy in a vette. SO being the ******* that I am I get behind him, I hear him down shift (auto) so I do the same, anyways longstory short, from about an 85mph 4th gear roll on I stay exactally the same distance beside him all the way till 140. Granted the car is 14 years old and has god knows how many miles on it, or how it was tsken care of. It was totally stock as far as I could tell (rims, ride height, exhaust etc.) Funny later on he got stuck behind some traffiec then pulled in behind me, and all I could think is "yeah . . . a Saturn" I got a good laugh when the guy looked at me in disbelief.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
Most vettes are collected so they dont see too many miles. So it was probably in great running condition. My gf's dad has an 88 vette with only 55,000 miles on it. My stang has 60k so..lol. I think 91 was still the l88 engine or sumthen like that so your story isnt hard to believe. 92 was the first year of the lt-1 i think and then thats a 14 flat car or less. i could be wrong. anyways good show!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
If I remeber correctly, the 91 would have about 250 HP at the crank (unless it was a ZR1 then it was 350). The car weighs nearly 3300 lbs. So yeah, I think you could hold your own against a 91 Vette (non ZR1) from any speed to redline in 5th gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
I did it too today LOL!!!!

I read your thread this morning Hero and when I was on the freeway this afternoon I spotted a Vette around the same year (89-91?). As soon as I caught up with him, I put it in third and punched it. I watched him in my rearview and he followed suit. It took him a while to even catch up with me.

Then we had to slow down for traffic ahead. He exited on to the same cross freeway as me and was a couple of cars in front of me. When we got on, I quickly caught up to him and was on his ass. He punched it and tried to lose me by doing some "spirited manuevers" around traffic. Not a chance. I stayed with him the ENTIRE time. He got caught behind a truck so I made my move and blasted right by him on the left. The look on this dudes face was PRICELESS!!!! He was pissed that a Saturn was keeping up. :D

Traffic cleared and I took her up to about 125 and he couldn't catch me at that point.


I realize that the newer Vettes will hand us our ass but the fact that our little cars can hold their own against ANY Vette, period, is pretty damn impressive to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
Nero said:
If I remeber correctly, the 91 would have about 250 HP at the crank (unless it was a ZR1 then it was 350). The car weighs nearly 3300 lbs. So yeah, I think you could hold your own against a 91 Vette (non ZR1) from any speed to redline in 5th gear.
91 was the last year of the L-98 TPI motor and were rated at 245 hp. The 1992 model year was the first to get the LT1 and they were rated at 300 hp.

The ZR1's LT5 motor was 375 (way underrated) hp from 91 to 92 and bumped up to 405 (again underrated) hp in 1993.

245 hp with an auto behind it is not going to much of a challange for our cars to keep up with. You probably would have taken him at lower speeds but the vette is a little better at cutting through the wind than our cars are at high speeds.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Yea, older Vettes are not fast compared to new cars or especially new Corvettes. I have a '77 and the max horsepower from the factory was 195 if you got the high compression model of the 350, I think it was the L-88(?), not sure, mine came with the 180hp which I THINK was the L-48. Damn emissions and gas crisis, you should see what happens once you start opening up the exhaust and tossing the emissions crap. Dosen't even work worth a shit when it was new. Just trashing the emissions, and adding a dual 2.5" exhaust, headers, and intake manifold, changed the engine from bogging down when I stomped on it to ripping both tires loose, and that's not easy with a posi-rear. I'm not sure where I'm at yet, I need to make a serious dyno trip with my Redline and the Vette, but I can't find a reasonably priced one around here.

Just remember, keeping up with the car that has been the leader of American sports cars since 1958 is VERY impressive, older, newer, don't matter. Those Vette's are loaded with go-fast stuff, my '77 with the still original suspension and rubber bushings, cuts a corner so hard that I'm not sure my Redline could stay with it in the corners, and the brakes on it... VERY nice for a 30yr old car, and they're not new either.

Good run, good times...



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,574 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Just remember, keeping up with the car that has been the leader of American sports cars since 1958 is VERY impressive, older, newer, don't matter.

That's what I'm saying bro!!!!

I was really suprised and so was the Vette driver today. :D :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
MotorMouth said:
91 was the last year of the L-98 TPI motor and were rated at 245 hp. The 1992 model year was the first to get the LT1 and they were rated at 300 hp.

The ZR1's LT5 motor was 375 (way underrated) hp from 91 to 92 and bumped up to 405 (again underrated) hp in 1993.

245 hp with an auto behind it is not going to much of a challange for our cars to keep up with. You probably would have taken him at lower speeds but the vette is a little better at cutting through the wind than our cars are at high speeds.

Ok its the l-98. My gf's dad has a 88 auto. Very nice car tho but i looked up the stats and it was like 14.6 stock in the quarter. So u are right, had it been at a lower speed it might have been the RL's race. My ex friend had an auto 92 vette...fast as hell!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Yea, older Vettes are not fast compared to new cars or especially new Corvettes. I have a '77 and the max horsepower from the factory was 195 if you got the high compression model of the 350, I think it was the L-88(?), not sure, mine came with the 180hp which I THINK was the L-48. Damn emissions and gas crisis, you should see what happens once you start opening up the exhaust and tossing the emissions crap. Dosen't even work worth a shit when it was new. Just trashing the emissions, and adding a dual 2.5" exhaust, headers, and intake manifold, changed the engine from bogging down when I stomped on it to ripping both tires loose, and that's not easy with a posi-rear. I'm not sure where I'm at yet, I need to make a serious dyno trip with my Redline and the Vette, but I can't find a reasonably priced one around here.

Just remember, keeping up with the car that has been the leader of American sports cars since 1958 is VERY impressive, older, newer, don't matter. Those Vette's are loaded with go-fast stuff, my '77 with the still original suspension and rubber bushings, cuts a corner so hard that I'm not sure my Redline could stay with it in the corners, and the brakes on it... VERY nice for a 30yr old car, and they're not new either.

Good run, good times...
Yeah when they started adding that shit to the muscle cars in the 70's and went from gross horsepower to net horsepower their egos took a hit. The 79 5.0 mustang only had 145 horses...but now car makers are better at making the horses and still being clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
THE late 70s throught the early 80s ( up to 81) vettes a dogs. i have a 78 vette with an l-82(225 hp) with 25,000 miles on it. anyway it is SLOW. i have not been to the track with it but it has to be runnin like a 16 second 1/4 mile. as for the tbi moters and the tpi moters they run strong. my father had a jaguar xjs that we put a tpi in and it was pretty fast......mid 14s stock except headers and exaust. i think it was about 260 hp. as for lhe lt1 vettes they are fast, i have the lt1 in my car(an impala ss) and it ran a 14.86 stock, which isnt to shabby considering it weighs over 4300 lbs with me in it. idont know what the lt1 vettes weight but the abuse my car pretty bad. i dont know if the redline could keep up with any of them.....but you guys should be pullin on the tpi vettes, and abusing anything from like 75 -81 those are so slow, but they are buetiful cars at the least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
IMPALASS96 said:
THE late 70s throught the early 80s ( up to 81) vettes a dogs. i have a 78 vette with an l-82(225 hp) with 25,000 miles on it. anyway it is SLOW. i have not been to the track with it but it has to be runnin like a 16 second 1/4 mile. as for the tbi moters and the tpi moters they run strong. my father had a jaguar xjs that we put a tpi in and it was pretty fast......mid 14s stock except headers and exaust. i think it was about 260 hp. as for lhe lt1 vettes they are fast, i have the lt1 in my car(an impala ss) and it ran a 14.86 stock, which isnt to shabby considering it weighs over 4300 lbs with me in it. idont know what the lt1 vettes weight but the abuse my car pretty bad. i dont know if the redline could keep up with any of them.....but you guys should be pullin on the tpi vettes, and abusing anything from like 75 -81 those are so slow, but they are buetiful cars at the least.

Yes they are plus..i am sure they are easy and cheap to mod..none of this computer tuning crap!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
prior to fuel injection, the moters were fairly easy to modify......there is not to much to them. there is not spending 200 bucks on a ecu flash, or a chip and all that shit. for the most part if you were doing any performance work ......such as changing the heads, this yeilded huge gains in performance, not just 10 hp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
IMPALASS96 said:
prior to fuel injection, the moters were fairly easy to modify......there is not to much to them. there is not spending 200 bucks on a ecu flash, or a chip and all that shit. for the most part if you were doing any performance work ......such as changing the heads, this yeilded huge gains in performance, not just 10 hp

Thats what i am saying, they may be factory slugs compared to newer cars but modding them be so much easier and far less complicated to push their power over out factory ratings.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Yea, my Vette took about $600 in parts, and I can out run a newer Maxima from the line all the way past 100. Not sure what that is running horsepower wise, but it's gotta be pretty good. Better than $750 to get 50 horsepower.

Yeah i know. Thats why i laugh when u get imports or something saying how they beat this 5.0 or that 5.0. Of course you new Lancer EVO is gonna beat over a 10 year old car. But u can pick one of them up for like 3k and spend another 3 k on it and it will be smashing your 25K+ lancer evoltion shit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Word, I had a 85 K5 Blaser which was built, 383 to start with through 4.26 gears and everything In between, gave alot of cars one hell of a run up to about 90 mph It was awesome to see some guy in a new GT mustang looking up at me while a truck on 44's and 12" of lift was walking his ass.
ON another note My exhaust exited on the passenger side right where a cars window would be, just a little rev and they are deaf and hacking up a lung. Man I miss my truck :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Spooner, What Kinda Mods Did You Do To The Vette......because Mine Is A Dog!!!!! Im Selling It After This Summer But I Want To Put A Set Of Headers On And I Already Have A Exaust System For It. I Know The Power Loss In These Cars Was Due To Polution Control....there For The Cars Dont "breath". Did The Exaust Make A Noticable Difference?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top