Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyways it was just another day driving home from work (75 miles) and usually it is pretty packed, everyone moving around 80, but packed none the less. Today it was nice and open. I happen to look in my rear view and saw this awesome looking Cobra fly past me, Black Convertible, Brembo brake kit all the way around, cowl induciton hood, exhaust and well just pretty hooked up. I get behind him and he gets in an open lane. I follow suit and he takes off, I pop into 3rd and lay on it, His exhaust is deafening. Anyways I keep having to let up because I am pulling somthing awfull. I let off and so does he, then we line up and roll from about 60 3rd again and off we go, right off the bat I am pulling, by the time I hit 130 I was about 2.5 bussses ahead, and not the short bus, but the big old greyhound. I slow down and he catches up, rolls down his window, and just says "damn that car is fast" then he shook his head and said "I can't believe i got beat by a saturn" funny as hell. I am almost positive it was N/A it should have put up a better fight, but funny as hell. I couldnt believe it. That car looked awesome.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I keep having this dicussion with one of my best friends - he's a Lt Col in the Air Force, now stationed in Dallas, and has a mildly hopped up (all my work) '94 Mustang GT. He drove my car and freaked that it was so quick. I told him to do the math - his car dynos, stock, at 195 whp. He's got a few mods, March ram intake, gutted cats, Flowmasters, and 3.55 gears, so he's probably around 225-230 at the wheels. In a 3300 lb car....

He didn't like doing the math...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
I keep having this dicussion with one of my best friends - he's a Lt Col in the Air Force, now stationed in Dallas, and has a mildly hopped up (all my work) '94 Mustang GT. He drove my car and freaked that it was so quick. I told him to do the math - his car dynos, stock, at 195 whp. He's got a few mods, March ram intake, gutted cats, Flowmasters, and 3.55 gears, so he's probably around 225-230 at the wheels. In a 3300 lb car....

He didn't like doing the math...

if he dynoed that before he is prolly only gonna put down 210 now if he is lucky. Those mods dont do a whole lot. One good thing about his car..there are TONS of mods for 5.0's and cheap as hell and EASY to work on. Still pick one of them up for like 5-7k good condition and u dont gotta spend a WHOLE lot if its a manual and u will see 12's easy.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mbhmustang98 said:
if he dynoed that before he is prolly only gonna put down 210 now if he is lucky. Those mods dont do a whole lot. One good thing about his car..there are TONS of mods for 5.0's and cheap as hell and EASY to work on. Still pick one of them up for like 5-7k good condition and u dont gotta spend a WHOLE lot if its a manual and u will see 12's easy.
No kidding, those 5.0's have infinate upgrade capability. I got WALKED in my srt-4 by one, it was so sad.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I know, I've owned 8 of them (5.0 Mustangs/Cobras)....actually considered (strongly) a 2004 Cobra, along with an GTO, STi, and EVO before buying the Redline, but since I want to buy another bike this Spring, it's easier to sell the wife on a spendy bike when I bought a car for half of what I was planning....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There you go. I was also consiering the cobra. I drove a Mach-1 and it was pretty impressive. The one thing I didnt like was the Gear Shifter, that twisty turney little thing. I know it could be changed but like Jim, a cheap(er) car and a bike was a wiser purchase.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yep -

Like a Mastercard commercial:

2004 Cobra - $35,000

2004 Redline - $17,500

2005 Suzuki Huyabusa - $9,600

Coming in $7900 under the budget my wife already agreed to and getting TWO toys - priceless....

·
Registered
595 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
Yep -

Like a Mastercard commercial:

2004 Cobra - $35,000

2004 Redline - $17,500

2005 Suzuki Huyabusa - $9,600

Coming in $7900 under the budget my wife already agreed to and getting TWO toys - priceless....
Yeah maybe when my stang is paid off in 3 years i could get an 03-04 cobra...but i want a brand new car and hopefully the RL will be around then so ill get one of them. Plus by then ill be in due for a new daily driver..and stang will be full time weekend duty..pretty much is now tho. My sl2 has 109k highway miles and i drive like 25k a year, mostly on the highway, so it should be good. My 92 Sl1 i am selling now has 208k and it is a poorer design IMO but it still runs so this sl2 should too. Plus i am taking care of it since i am the second owner..the 92 was a company car and they never did crap to it except to keep it going.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Were the 95'ish Cobras N/A???

I know my buddy I used to work with had an '04 Cobra and it was S/C from the factory. He used to wax my ass every night on the way home.

Good kill regardless though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Only the 2003-2004 Cobras were supercharged from the factory - anything before was NA.

·
Registered
681 Posts
yep - 390 hp stock, a chip, exhaust and a smaller pulley for the Eaton usually makes around 440 hp. At the wheels.

·
Registered
595 Posts
JPK said:
Were the 95'ish Cobras N/A???

I know my buddy I used to work with had an '04 Cobra and it was S/C from the factory. He used to wax my ass every night on the way home.

Good kill regardless though.
A stock 94-95 cobra is a 5.0 and is like a 14.5-14.7 second car stock. they are 245 horses and like 300 lbs of torque. But they come with mild cams and tunes from the factory. Its supposed to be easy to get them up there pretty quick. the 96-98 cobra is the DOHC 4.6 rated at 305 horses..300 lbs torque and is like a high 13 second car. The 99 is around 320 horses and same for 01. Then the 03-04 came with the factory supercharger..eaton of course.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
mbhmustang98 said:
A stock 94-95 cobra is a 5.0 and is like a 14.5-14.7 second car stock. they are 245 horses and like 300 lbs of torque. But they come with mild cams and tunes from the factory. Its supposed to be easy to get them up there pretty quick. the 96-98 cobra is the DOHC 4.6 rated at 305 horses..300 lbs torque and is like a high 13 second car. The 99 is around 320 horses and same for 01. Then the 03-04 came with the factory supercharger..eaton of course.

All I know is that my buddy's '04 is a BAD MUTHA and it's all stock too at this point. :eek:

·
Registered
681 Posts
A stock '03-04 Cobra is a 13.7-13.9 car, and 4.8-4.9 0-60...I won't be picking on those for a while.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
A stock '03-04 Cobra is a 13.7-13.9 car, and 4.8-4.9 0-60...I won't be picking on those for a while.
We used to just screw around and race and play cat and mouse and stuff. Very fast car. He took his to the track and ran a 13.5XX if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
Umm a stock 96-98 N/A cobra are like a 13.7-13.9 car. The 99s and 01's a little better. A mach1 is like a mid 13's and an 03-04 cobra is a 12.8-13.1 car. Not trying to be an ass...just saying a 03-04 cobra is much quicker then what was stated. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
mbhmustang98 said:
Umm a stock 96-98 N/A cobra are like a 13.7-13.9 car. The 99s and 01's a little better. A mach1 is like a mid 13's and an 03-04 cobra is a 12.8-13.1 car. Not trying to be an ass...just saying a 03-04 cobra is much quicker then what was stated. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with that to. I drove my friends 99gt with a shifter,cold air, and subframes and got a 13.8 in the quarter. Iv'e seen a stock 03 cobra vert run a 13.3.

·
Registered
595 Posts
BOOSTED said:
I have to agree with that to. I drove my friends 99gt with a shifter,cold air, and subframes and got a 13.8 in the quarter. Iv'e seen a stock 03 cobra vert run a 13.3.
That sounds right for a heavier vert.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts