Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure not everyone will believe this kill, but "its my story and I'm sticking to it"...........

I was going about 70 northbound on US 121 south of the Grapevine area when I saw this green Firebird with out of state license plates in the passing lane. There was another car in front of me that attempted to pass HER but for what I can only assume was some sort of passed-by-other-car-o-phobia she would not allow the car to pass her. I saw her on more than a few occasions speed up to keep cars from passing her. I positioned myself in the right lane dropped it in 4th gear and floored it. I'm guessing I took the Firebird off guard because when I looked back I was a good 6-8 car lengths ahead of her. She tried desperately to catch up but looking into my rear-view mirror I never really saw that green little spec get any bigger. I know she was trying to catch me because she left all the other cars that were packed and trying to pass her in the dust. Now before the 20 questions and the nay-sayers start raising doubt, let me answer a few obvious questions. I don't believe the Firebird was a WS6 but I am almost positive it was a V-8. Also, since I had already downshifted and was charging ahead to pass her it is possible that either 1) her car was an automatic and thus didn't downshift immediately and 2) if it was Standard that she was still in a higher gear. At either rate the moral of the story is: Yes you may have a big bad V-8 but as soon as you let that power go to your head there will always be someone there to ground you. Gotta love the Saturn Sleeper :D

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Hey...what's up TXRLU??? I see you've made it to the "dark side" LOL!!! :D

When we gonna get together and cruise around for ricers to embarass?

There are already a couple of other DFW dudes on here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
JPK said:
Hey...what's up TXRLU??? I see you've made it to the "dark side" LOL!!! :D

When we gonna get together and cruise around for ricers to embarass?

There are already a couple of other DFW dudes on here.
oh man...you going to embarrass yourself?? You yourself drive a ricer!!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
LUKassZ said:
oh man...you going to embarrass yourself?? You yourself drive a ricer!!

Really? Have you ever seen my car? It has no gaudy aftermarket body kit. No tacky graphics or stickers. No high spoiler. My exhaust makes some noise but my car has the balls to back it up. Sounds nothing like the stereotypical ricer car to me.

Perhaps your definition of a "ricer car" differs from the norm.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ihave gotten a jump on some cars in traffic, that would easily eat the saturn. But hey, a kill is a kill. If you can get the jump, it may take a minute for them to catch up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
our cars dont stand a chance agianst LS1's plain an simple. i have an Lt1 Firebird that runs 11.90's and many of my other friends have Auto Lt1's. my only way of getting them is from a 40 roll, by 110 or so they pass me. Ls1's are a tottaly differnt story, hate to burst your bubble, but he probably wasnt really trying or it was a 3.8 which ive also owned. im not trying to be an ass, but i know Fbodies down to every nut and bolt, they are my life and i know how they perform.

Also at What MPH was this? cuz ive memorized all the automatic downshift points.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree, basically without a low 13 second car we'd get smoked by a late model v8 firebird

·
Registered
158 Posts
the best a stock LS1 has done is 12.8 at 109. this was a bone stock 98 Z28 6-speed. test was done by GM High Tech Performance. my 93 auto Lt1 went 13.5 at 104 stock and with just a catback and an intake 13.1 at 105.7 on stock tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haha u think stock for stock u can beat an LS1!

·
Registered
9 Posts
BlackJettaT said:
Haha u think stock for stock u can beat an LS1!
I'm not sure that's what he was saying. He said he was pretty sure it was a V8 but there seems to be some confusion about which models are which by non-fbody owners. He said he didn't think it was a WS6 which should clue anyone in that he's not overly familiar with the different Firebird models as the WS6 has those huge ram-air scoops on it. Anyone who knows fbodies can spot a WS6 from a mile away.

I have a V6 Firebird with the W68 and Y87 package on it that a lot of people mistake for a V8 so it's very possible that it was a 3.8 that he met on the road. I believe his story but it was either a V6 or the other driver wasn't giving it all she had.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
You can never argue street 'kills' it's too damn hard. I gave a great example of where I got smoked in my Redline by a teenage girl in a Toyota Echo. Yup, lined up with me, beat me be 3 car lengths to the exit ramp. Now, watch what happens when I add in all the information that anyone that was driving the Echo would keep quiet.

1.)I had owned my car for 3 days, I still had no idea how to launch without spinning through 1st and most of 2nd.

2.) It was wet, about 10 degrees outside, and that only made issue number one even worse.

3.) The exit ramp was about 1/8 mi, maybe less, so the instant I spun the tires for more than 1/2 second, it was all over, I never would have been able to catch her and pass her without running her off the road.

So the moral of the story, is that with careful retelling of the story, please note: I'm not saying anyone is lying!, you can make any race in which you stay ahead of the other car seem like a kill. I have said many times, that most of these 'kill' stories are just that. Not many people here have had the chance to line up, wait for the light, and then run to top end over a length limited course. Kinda like a fight, if someone is eyeing your woman, and you punch him in the back of the head while he's not looking, did you beat his ass? Depends on who you ask. Just like being in front of a faster car, he's on the ground bleeding, but are you gonna wait for him to get back up? Nope, you're gonna go to the next bar and tell your buddies how you (Insert country twang here -->) whupped this punks ass for lookin at your baby wrong.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahhhhh.............Gotta love it when people don't bother to read the ENTIRE post and automatically make assumptions and get a chip on their shoulder. Yes I'm aware that a V-8 Firebird is FASTER than the Red-Line, NO IT WAS NOT A V-6. Please read the ENTIRE passage before asking me such moronic questions as, "You think your redline is faster than.........?" The beauty of the Red Line, the SRT-4, and other cars like it is that they are sleepers, no one expects them to do anything. So when there is some guy (or girl in this instance) that looks over, sees a Saturn and figures "ehh its just a Saturn, I can make the pass in 6th gear" and then as you blow past em by the time they figure they should've downshifted its too late, that's what being a sleeper is all about. Oh I saw a bright orange Murcielago on my way to work yesterday, and that's all I'm saying with this crowd................I'm sure I'll get the stupid question.........."You think your redline can beat a Lambo?"

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ummmm the RAM air aniversary edition had hood scoops (I owned one) and IT WAS NOT A WS6.....couldn't afford it!!1

·
Registered
94 Posts
*cough* Bull **** *cough*...

You did not beat a Lt1/LS1 f-body in your stock Ion, and considering there is no aftermarker right now, you didn't beat one... Guys I can't wait until there is an aftermarket and the 2.0L is able to be let loose, but until then PLEASE stop posting this crap... Because unless you raced jimmy joe ass hat, you didn't beat a V8 f-body, unless it was 3rd gen 305, i'd buy that...

·
Registered
94 Posts
btw, I don't care if you keep the 4L60E(yeah thats the name of the kickass auto found in 4th gen f-bodies) in overdrive... Its still going to rape you, from any mph, in any gear...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ThatChevyGuy said:
btw, I don't care if you keep the 4L60E(yeah thats the name of the kickass auto found in 4th gen f-bodies) in overdrive... Its still going to rape you, from any mph, in any gear...

Well since you weren't there then your opinion really doesn't matter now does it? I posted what happened, how it happened. Whether you believe me or not is up to you but all I can say is its easy to be close minded when you have your head up your ass.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not saying you didn't "sneak" up on one, but remember ricer fly-bys don't count... Is that what you wanted? Becuase the only people I know who pull moves like that are ricers...

And considering I own an auto Ls1 f-body, I think I more than know what they are capable of... I know redlines are quick, hell I plan on buying a Cobalt SS, which is the same car(its like the Camaro and Trans Am)...

But there is a difference between 260rwhp(Lt1), 300rwhp(LS1), and 210fwhp(2.0 Ion)...

Sorry...

·
Registered
94 Posts
besides I can go from 65 to 130 very quickly.... Once an Ls1 hooks up its a force to be reckon with(which explains why Ls1s with slicks go in the low 13s-high 12s bone stock)...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts