Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently refilled my freon under the cold air intake and now when I turn on the fan with or without the A/C on the clutch on the air conditioner condenser keeps clicking on and off. (I don't know why). When I put the air on it puts out cold air and hot air when I flip the knob for the temperature respectively.

I don't understand why it will not stop trying to start itself or whatever its trying to do with it clicking on and off every 5 seconds. Why does it keep cranking over for 1 second? It jerks the belt around when it does this too, I can feel it while I'm driving, its a small little surge that is annoying enough for me to make a thread about it, and want to pull all of my hair out, again. Again.

I unplugged the relay while it was running with the A/C on and it stopped doing it obviously because the relay was for the A/C clutch, it also stopped the A/C too because well the relay was out....... Please tell me its a simple fix, not something that will cost me butt-tons of money which I obviously have lying around, since I AM a Saturn owner!!!!!

Does anyone have any ideas or comments or concerns or some fuckin' insight?!?!?! I am so lost........... Again, any and ALL help will be appreciated......

:shrug03:
:spineyes:
:weird:
:huh:

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
If you have the air direction knob set to defrost, or mixed with defrost in it, the AC turns on. My guess is you have some other problem with the AC unit that causes it to try to turn on then go off when "the problem" is encountered.

Try turning the control knob all the way counterclockwise to face. Let me know if it still cycles.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
the switch at the ac pump can give issues. But really you need to get it plugged in evacuated and leak checked etc. Its best that way up here it costs about 300 to do all that but its environmentally responsible to do it this way. And its one of the few things that a DIY'er should not fool with imho

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the switch at the ac pump can give issues. But really you need to get it plugged in evacuated and leak checked etc. Its best that way up here it costs about 300 to do all that but its environmentally responsible to do it this way. And its one of the few things that a DIY'er should not fool with imho
****. Well an experienced mechanic, would he have to take apart the whole motor just to get at the A/C or will he be a good little mechanic and not take apart the WHOLE fuckin' motor? God I hope not. I hate this fuckin car as of lately. Maybe he can wedge his old wrinkly nutsack hands into the engine bay and fix my fucking idle too................... maybe the engine just needs a touch of nutsack........

·
Registered
905 Posts
Doesn't have to be taken all apart, could be leaking anywhere. The compressor cycling like that usually means it's low on freon. (Comes on, pressure drops, cycles off, pressure comes back up, repeat.)
Harborfreight sells a leak detector which would let you locate the leak.
Should have a pro do it though if you haven't messed with a/c before and don't have the equipment.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Doesn't have to be taken all apart, could be leaking anywhere. The compressor cycling like that usually means it's low on freon. (Comes on, pressure drops, cycles off, pressure comes back up, repeat.)
Harborfreight sells a leak detector which would let you locate the leak.
Should have a pro do it though if you haven't messed with a/c before and don't have the equipment.
It could be the other way also.. To much pressure could do the same. If he over filled it the pressure switch will cause it to fast cycle. More is not always better in A/C world.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It could be the other way also.. To much pressure could do the same. If he over filled it the pressure switch will cause it to fast cycle. More is not always better in A/C world.
Tell me more!!! I put a couple cans into it. I think my problem arose after I filled it with a can and a half. It runs cold now, but the only thing is, is that it keeps trying to re-turn itself on with the AC (snowflake) depressed or not. So you think I should bleed the system a bit and see what happens and then if it doesn't work take it to a pro, OR just take it straight to a pro?
:cat: here's a picture of a pussy for you sir
FWIW, You cant really **** up fucked up.... yaknowwhatimean?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
In the way of what I'm speaking ^^^ I'm not gonna go take a hammer to it to the fucker...... I'm saying that if I went out to the car and bled the system it couldn't really hurt trying and seeing what happens......
the point of using the evacuation machine is so that refrigerant, which is harmful to the atmosphere and ...well it's COLD so there's a risk of frostbite for people who are simply venting it to atmosphere...is properly and safely contained.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Well, it's certainly cold. LOL
The whole reason they switched to the 134a and can sell it over the counter to people without a license is because it's not destructive to the ozone layer and has very little impact on global warming.
Still dangerous to inhale and will cause frostbite if you're not careful.
You will never know if it's over filled or under filled without a set of gauges.
If it's really just bothering you with the clicking on and off just unplug the compressor and it won't do that any more.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it's certainly cold. LOL
The whole reason they switched to the 134a and can sell it over the counter to people without a license is because it's not destructive to the ozone layer and has very little impact on global warming.
Still dangerous to inhale and will cause frostbite if you're not careful.
You will never know if it's over filled or under filled without a set of gauges.
If it's really just bothering you with the clicking on and off just unplug the compressor and it won't do that any more.

Yes but it will just cease to do anything but function as a knob on the dashboard! And yes I understand your urgency of taking it to a certified person with certified tools and equipment, I am not casting aside what you have said because most of you that have posted are some of the most knowledgeable people about the LSJ in general. I do take your words with highest importance, BUT if I could fix this problem myself at the only cost stopping at maybe a cut on my hand from getting to the A/C fill nipple then so be it. I will be off to get my A/C fixed. Thank you for your kind and tough-love words. Hows that for putting the lips up to the butthole and suckin'? Am I doing a good job tooting all of yours horns? JKJKJK.......

I had a question that was sparked from taking the A/C relay out, can those go bad out or be blown like a regular fuse? Just curious.

They call me whiskers because I'm curious like a cat. Its a simple question Rob, would you eat the moon if it were made of ribs??! I know I would, hell Id even polish it off with nice can of Budweiser. Probably help myself to seconds............

Yeah feelin' pretty weird from that Ambien I took about 15 minutes ago..................................................................:redblob:

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Tell me more!!! I put a couple cans into it. I think my problem arose after I filled it with a can and a half. It runs cold now, but the only thing is, is that it keeps trying to re-turn itself on with the AC (snowflake) depressed or not. So you think I should bleed the system a bit and see what happens and then if it doesn't work take it to a pro, OR just take it straight to a pro?
:cat: here's a picture of a pussy for you sir
FWIW, You cant really **** up fucked up.... yaknowwhatimean?
Your best bet is to go to your local auto store. you can buy the cans of freon (probably wrong spelling) but they have the gauge with them. The one I have has a blue area. You need to turn the A/C on high on the hottest part of the day when you do this. The hotter it is outside the higher the pressure. I over filled mine once and it fast cycled On the gauge you could see the pressure rise then the pressure switch would kill it. Its going to be getting Hotter and Hotter out so I would go on the lower end of normal.
MAX/recirculate windows down then test the pressure.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I do my own work, I don't have a recovery machine but I do have the rest.
You really can't diagnose what's wrong without a set of gauges. You need to know the high and the low side pressure to figure out what the problem is so you're not just wasting money. I think autozone or some parts stores will rent you a set of gauges for free.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RLNoob if I did overfill it, it would be fast cycling like it is now? It does it every 5 seconds and is pumping out cold air, so I know the A/C compressor is working but something is awry. I probably fucked something up, what else is new Edward?

AAAAAAAND
Wurd, Ill start on the cheap end first and if I get little, to no results, I guess I will be preparing my anus...... Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Yes, over filling would cause the high pressure switch to cycle just like the low pressure switch.
Correct. Getting a gauge from autozone would be a cheap start. Check the low pressure side under the TB. Two cans sound like a lot if you were just topping it off. It probably only needed a half a can.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts