Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't know, I have taken mine back to saturn every time. I buy my own oil and take it in. Then it only cost about $20 at the dealer. Which isn't bad since they check over everything else and wash the car.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
If you can reach the plug, you don't need to lift it at all, I didn't. Have you found the oil filter yet? :D

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
i havent even looked at my car, isnt the filter where the 2.2 ecotec is at?
oh shit the s\c charger is there.

i'll check it out after work

keith-

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Not sure if it's in the same place on those, haven't seen one, but it's to the right (driver's side) of the supercharger, kinda under and behind the throttle body, in a small crevice. It blew my mind the first time I went to do it, I looked at it for 10 min, and just said 'I'll wait'. Went out and did it the next weekend, and it's alot easier than it looks...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
BluStreak said:
Don't know, I have taken mine back to saturn every time. I buy my own oil and take it in. Then it only cost about $20 at the dealer. Which isn't bad since they check over everything else and wash the car.
I just don't like another man touching my car, it's like some guy feelin up my girl at the bar... ;)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
spooner i did mine the same way, slide under it on the ground in the parking lot and unbolt the oil plug, the rest it done above the car, and yes the oil filter is in the same place as the 2.2L and the supercharger is there haha tricky right

·
Registered
135 Posts
navymitch12 said:
spooner i did mine the same way, slide under it on the ground in the parking lot and unbolt the oil plug, the rest it done above the car, and yes the oil filter is in the same place as the 2.2L and the supercharger is there haha tricky right
You guys either have long arms or I'm really wide to not fit under the car. :(

·
Registered
943 Posts
I put mine up on stands, but that was to take off the wheels and clean them while I was changing the oil. Easiest is to have a long extension for a ratchet to reach the filter cap from top.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yup, I used a 1 1/4" socket, and two 4" extensions to get down in there... I almost didn't have a big enough socket. I almost had to put the oil back in there, drive to the store, and then change the filter. That would have sucked...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
This was a huge argument actually... was never resolved to any real degree... the best idea is to go with what makes you comfortable....

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Oh my, my first oil change took me 2 hours. I had a hell of a time getting the filter out and I scratched the hell out of my arms doing it. Longest oil change in my life. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th time was alot easier, takes me about 20-30minutes.

I think I changed the oil at 500miles, 1500miles, 3000miles, 5000 miles, and then 7500 miles. I wont go more than 2500 miles on my car.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Exactly, everyone has their own idea and suggestions, and reasons as to why they do it the way they do. I go in the area of 3,000-ish. If it hit 4,000, no biggie, 5,000... eh? who cares. After that I start to get real twitchy about it. I feel like I'm being lazy about it. I'm gonna aim for the same area this time too.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Here's the method I use for changing the oil. Obviously you just jack the car up and unscrew the oil pan plug and let 'er drain. Easy part complete....Now the easiest way I've found to get to that freakin oil filter is to take a very large socket (1.25") and stand at the left fender (driver side) Maneuver your hand with the socket underneath the supercharger and find the bit cap for the filter. Monkey the socket on and pull your hand out. Now get very long extension for it and slide it down onto the socket. You should be able to glimpse it from the top if you look around. Unscrew it and then remove the extension and the socket wrench. Put your hand back under and pull the thing out. Install same way only reverse directions. Let me know if you have questions.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
for the DIYers out there
If you pull the filter FIRST you will get a better drain out the oil cooler etc
Also inspect the old filter to make sure the little "tit" on the end you insert into the block (with the 0-ring seal for the bypass) hasnt broken off.
AND
Make sure you keep your oil/filter receipts in an envelope in your glove box and mark your DIY changes in your maintenance book with date and mileage. This will insure your warranty is preserved should the service ever be questioned. Finally don't forget to reset your Oil Life Index by pressing and holding the button on your IP until it reads RESET and the chime sounds.
WOT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.