Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter went out about 3 weeks ago. I had to pop start it to get it home. I replaced the starter a week later and no issues starting now.
The problem now is, my abs and e-brake light are on constant every time I start my car. I have tried to read the code with no luck. I had the dealership look to read the codes as well, with no luck either. They are telling me my abs module (or EBCM) is not communicating with my ecm. They are trying to tell me to replace my abs module, which is right around $700 from them.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
If the light is on there is a code. You will not however be able to read this code without a good scan tool such as gm tech2, snap on, mac ect. The dealer may be right, but they should have been able to get a code explaining that replacement. Get a second opinion. A decent shop can plug in and let you know whats up, again, a standard code reader will not read abs or airbag codes. So Autozone and such other places are a waste of time generally

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
First, make sure you didn't pop any fuses when you were doing your starter. It would really suck to drop $700 on an EBCM and find a $.10 fuse blown.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was the first thing I checked, the fuses were all good. even fuses that weren't abs were still good.
I took my car to the Cadillac dealership, which being GM I would figure they would have the right code reader.
I have checked the brake fluid to make sure it was full and it is. I don't really know what else I should check before dropping that kind of crazy cash.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
You don't technically need ABS, though I understand how warning lights can be annoying.

I guess I'm suggesting that it wouldn't be a huge risk to put off any attempts at repair until it's more affordable.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
And if it is the module they can be had pretty cheap on carpart.com

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Do you have a wheel bearing that's starting to make noise or wobble at certain speeds? I've found with GM cars that's generally the ABS light issue. As for the e-brake light, I know I've seen a bunch of threads with people who've had the same issue. The cable stretches or something like that causing the light to stay on. What kind of mileage are we dealing with on your car?

Ben

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
^^ I would agree with that in general, except that in this specific case, there appears to be a communication issue with the EBCM, which would not be related to a bad wheel bearing or a bad caliper/e-brake.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
the issues appear to be related to changing the starter motor. There are power leads that go to the starter motor and and ground leads to related parts; there is a solenoid acutator lead with a small connector that fails sometimes. There is a large ground lead near the ABS module. I would retrace all work and cables near and related to the starter motor, seems like this problem may be more than a co inki dink.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
^^I assumed that if he got far enough at checking fuses and such that broken wires or an unpluged harness have been 100% ruled out by now, but you have a good point.

·
Banned
2 Posts
My starter went out about 3 weeks ago. I had to pop start it to get it home. I replaced the starter a week later and no issues starting now.
The problem now is, my abs and e-brake light are on constant every time I start my car. I have tried to read the code with no luck. I had the dealership look to read the codes as well, with no luck either. They are telling me my abs module (or EBCM) is not communicating with my ecm. They are trying to tell me to replace my abs module, which is right around $700 from them.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Hello
Might be better to have your original part repaired at upfix.com

Here is the service link

1 - 11 of 11 Posts