Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took me a cool 20 minutes since i had already had the stock box removed.....so that was a plus.

anyway, it seems like i can defnitely feel an increase in power, as well as a MUCH MUCH smoother ride and shift. why? i have no clue, but thats how it seems to me.

i had the monster k&n filter on there, and it didnt seem to give me nearly as much performance gain as this does, id definitely recomment the aem short ram....im mucho pleased with it, and a pretty color of blue too!!

also, i bought a set of the pedals from sps for the ion, they werent too bad to install...and look very purdy, except the gas pedal does not cover the entire stock one, but thats ok.

ill get pics up if anyone requests em. ill probly make a visual mod thread once i get pics as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
ya man some pics would be sweet...i was thinking of getting the typhoon but id love to be convinced otherwise!!!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alrite no problem guys, ill get some pics up tomorrow hopefully. if its not storming or raining ill clean up my engine bay and snap some pics. im happy to help, if it can be considered helping, haha.

my engine is real dirty and i dont like that, im just too lazy to do it....but ill get it done tomorrow.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Pics Pics Picss Where They At Bro!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, lemme go out and snap a few before it gets dark......engine bay is dirty and its getting dark so they wont be professional

they'll be posted in 15 minutes, ok? then this weekend ill get some good quality ones that i can put on my cardomain site.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here are the pics, mostly to prove that i actually have the intake, if u guys want some better pics, just let me know and ill take em after i clean my engine this weekend.

the pedals are sweet, the brake pedal is kinda messed up, the drill bits didnt seem to wanna go into it so i ended up gluing it to the pedal and i guess it's shifted. ill fix that sometime, not too worried about it yet.

anyway here u go guys

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
honestly? 4 reasons off the top of my head, some superficial, some not so.

1. Performance gain is basically the exact same.
2. Cheaper
3. Pretty blue color!!!
4. Easier to install (laziness took over) I'd already had my box taken out though, so it only took me a tops of 15-20 minutes once I had all the tools set out. Thats from popping my hood to closing my hood, including all adjusting and testing tightness.

and as far as it using the stock lid for the maf sensor, i was disappointed too, but its not a big deal. i opened the box and saw it only had the nipple and was like "stupid asses they sent me the wrong intake!!!" haha......then i thought about it and figured it out. its really no biggie, only thing is its still kinda hard to maneuver in there, but u can do it without removing any wires or the ecu, etc. also, the instructions say you can keep the stock air box....but of course mine was gone and i prefer it that way.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
xtremesc2 said:
honestly? 4 reasons off the top of my head, some superficial, some not so.

1. Performance gain is basically the exact same.
2. Cheaper
3. Pretty blue color!!!
4. Easier to install (laziness took over) I'd already had my box taken out though, so it only took me a tops of 15-20 minutes once I had all the tools set out. Thats from popping my hood to closing my hood, including all adjusting and testing tightness.

and as far as it using the stock lid for the maf sensor, i was disappointed too, but its not a big deal. i opened the box and saw it only had the nipple and was like "stupid asses they sent me the wrong intake!!!" haha......then i thought about it and figured it out. its really no biggie, only thing is its still kinda hard to maneuver in there, but u can do it without removing any wires or the ecu, etc. also, the instructions say you can keep the stock air box....but of course mine was gone and i prefer it that way.
When i did mine, I didnt disconnect anything at all. I cut the box out and really wish I didnt, but oh well. How did you route your air inlet tube? I ran mine behind the ECU. Is that the way you went? I am asking because I am trying to figure out if I have an vaccuum leak, my car whistles like a turbo when I accelerate. I was wondering if yours did too. I have asked others and they said theres kinda did, but mine seems to be getting louder everyday. Plus my car wont idle with air on. The only thing I was upset with was how small the tube was. I was thinking, I paid $179 for an elbow? Im thinking I should have gone K&N

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha, i understand what ur saying. yes, mine whines very loudly, not like a turbo but like a supercharger. i dont think im getting a vacuum leak, everything is pretty tight. it sounds pretty much the same as it did when i had simply the k&n filter on it, except more powerful.

my car didnt idle well with the air on even before i put the intake on, so i know that wasnt the cause of it. im not sure what to say about that, im sure itll be addressed somewhere.

as far as acceleration, my car sounds very healthy, i know that much....no weird whistles or anything.

by air inlet tube, you mean the rubber hose that connects to the nipple of the intake? i just kept it going the same way it did stock, i tried to set everything up in the intake so itd be as easy to access as possible.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no, the aem base horsepower was just higher than the base horsepower for k&n was....if both base horsepowers were the same for both cars, the hp increase would have been just about the same, give or take maybe 1-2 hp, which i feel is not worth a $50 plus price tag, with a tougher (not hard, just tougher) install.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Wow i was going to try and make the same intake setup and sell it for $75 without a filter. Do you have any pics of the filter they sent u? To me for whatever you payed (185 or around there?) AEM is making a kiling off these cause they didn't even have to make a bracket for the sensor.

The short rams i have now i am going to put my air-box back in and test fit it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry i dont have any pics of the filter, if i get the urge to take it off sometime ill snap a few for you..

yeah, i feel it was a bit expensive, but worth it in my opinion.....im very pleased with it, and id spend it again if i had to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts