Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the AEM intake and installed it with the airbox lid on? I'd like to know what the sound difference is. I'm not real concerned about the performance issue, mainly the sound part.

Later,
Chrome...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
Chrome said:
I'm not real concerned about the performance issue, mainly the sound part.
:confused: You could save your self some money and just open up the stock air box and drop in a K&N filter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,327 Posts
if you just drop in a K&N filter in the box you would still have the same sound as before right? you wouldnt have the sound of the s/c as you would with the cai right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
pclear9061 said:
if you just drop in a K&N filter in the box you would still have the same sound as before right? you wouldnt have the sound of the s/c as you would with the cai right?
Sorry, I should have been a little more specific with what I posted above.

open up = cut many holes in stock air box. You get more sound but not quiet as much as totally removing it and having either a short ram or a CIA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
i have it and its no louder or different sounding than cutting holes in or removing your stock airbox and replacing the filter with a k&n.

instead of spending 180 bucks to sound good, just spend 50 and drill some holes in your airbox.

its k&n part # e-1009, i believe.......unless you want to buy mine, 25 bucks shipped to your door...its a bit beat up but in perfect working order. and by beat up, i mean the same amount of beat up yours will be after a day of using a new one....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Im real happy with the sound with AEM. I was like you and only wanted it for the sound. It defidently woke up the supercharger! But I was expecting alittle more...metal I guess for $180. All it is is an elbow with a filter on the end of it. I was kinda disappointed with that, and my car doesnt idle worth shit with the A/C on. If you live in a hot area, I would just take everyone elses suggestion and cut holes in the air box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,327 Posts
with cutting holes in the box would that cause a better chance for water to get it?? also what if you cut a hole in the side of the box put a K&N insert in there and then took some of that air flex tube and hooked it to the side of the box with the hole in it and then took the other end and put it either in the ""fake air duct" (i guess thats what you can call the black plastic piece next to the mouth in the front bumper and drill holes in the plastic piece) and put the end of the hose there to get some cold air in? just a crazy idea so i dunno if thatll work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
it would BARELY risk getting water in it. yes, it would be more of a risk, but itd be a risk so small itd be almost impossible. in short, you still would next to never get water in the intake....only time you would would be if you went through a 2 foot deep puddle. get my drift?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,976 Posts
Alright, so whats everybodys verdict?

Get the AEM Cold Air for the cool sound and power,

or get the K&N for just the power?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
If you want sound, get a tape recorder and record a really sweet blower spinning and let it play through an amped up loudspeaker under your hood. Sorry, I'm a dick and most likely the resident post whore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
IONredlineRACER said:
Alright, so whats everybodys verdict?

Get the AEM Cold Air for the cool sound and power,

or get the K&N for just the power?

no man, both are going to give you the same sound.....but different power, thats what i was trying to say.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
AEM is a short ram....

It's really personal preference... again, I'd vote for the K&N... either the filter change with mods to the air box, or the CAI.

Other people will suggest AEM so......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,327 Posts
pclear9061 said:
also what if you cut a hole in the side of the box put a K&N insert in there and then took some of that air flex tube and hooked it to the side of the box with the hole in it and then took the other end and put it either in the ""fake air duct" (i guess thats what you can call the black plastic piece next to the mouth in the front bumper and drill holes in the plastic piece) and put the end of the hose there to get some cold air in? just a crazy idea so i dunno if thatll work.
wouldnt this bee doing the same as cutting holes but 1) you only cut one hole & 2) you can hook up the line to whereever it would bring the coldest air plus a little bit more of a force. right? just a thought
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
get Korax's intake before the AEM, you get more for less. if all you want is sound, REMOVE the airbox and strap on a K&N filter, that way you can go back to stock if the service department wonders where it went. likely you want the looks with the sound if you're going to show off what's making the sound, so get Korax's intake. if you want an intake that is as close to stock as possible, yet get the sound and look, spend the extra couple $$$ on the K&N, it's more than worth it for 250 shipped compared to anything else on the market...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top