Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this while trolling around for dyno sheets of ION redlines tonight:

http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/22-633 2004 Saturn Ion Redline.pdf

This is a SHORT ram intake, not a cold air. I see no cold air intake listed. I assume there was a problem with developing a cold air intake. All the same, the short ram looks to produce power throughout the powerband.

Start the tongues wagging people ;)

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that sheet on the AEM site. I'm waiting to see what K&N comes out with and the numbers it produces before I decide which to buy. I'm just happy that the AM support is starting to develop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
nice cant wait for exhaust and header setup. looks promising. damn the rev limiter still building power, gm needs to hurry up and come out w/ stage 1 ecu upgrade to increase the damn rev limiter.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Eddie said:
nice cant wait for exhaust and header setup. looks promising. damn the rev limiter still building power, gm needs to hurry up and come out w/ stage 1 ecu upgrade to increase the damn rev limiter.
there is a solution in the works as we speak! (hopefully)

·
Registered
524 Posts
JPK said:
Yeah, I've seen that sheet on the AEM site. I'm waiting to see what K&N comes out with and the numbers it produces before I decide which to buy. I'm just happy that the AM support is starting to develop.
I could careless if K&N has a dyno sheet that shows more power. I'm still going to buy an AEM. K&N tends to fudge their numbers sometimes, but looking at the AEM dyno it seems really realistic.

Tom

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
linenoyz said:
Can someone post a pic of a different "short ram" intake? I'm wondering what they look like.
short ram

this was the first thing i got in google, basically if you've ever seen a cold air intake, its the same deal, but the filter is in the engine bay. i imagine a heat sheild for the aem one will bring power up some too if it can be diverted to draw air from the ground, but we'll see once the K&N cai comes out. i don't think a cai will be too beneficial though, as i'm sure aem would have a cai coming out if it made any significant gains

·
Registered
187 Posts
Vita, I've not been able to find any info on the K&N CAI! I've searched the site throughly, to no avail. Do you guys know of an other site where I might get some info? I've seen where I can get AEM's intake, but I don't knoe when that's coming out. Any suggestions :confused:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I called AEM yesterday and spoke with someone very breifly. He wouldn't give me any information on the Short Ram Intake, but he said it's still under development. Wether that means they haven't completed it, or it just hasn't been carb approved, I don't know. He was just a regular salesman though, so lets hope the second one.

·
Registered
487 Posts
from what I have seen looking under the hood, a short ram on this car would be JUST a filter, as if you go more than 3 inches down its where cold air intakes sit on most cars anyways, all it needs is a downturn to be almost too low ofr me to feel safe about driving in heavy rain

·
Registered
87 Posts
haunter said:
from what I have seen looking under the hood, a short ram on this car would be JUST a filter, as if you go more than 3 inches down its where cold air intakes sit on most cars anyways, all it needs is a downturn to be almost too low ofr me to feel safe about driving in heavy rain
you have a point. There is not much room to fit a short ram intake into the engine... hence "short". They will more than likely remove the stock air box, since they have to get the MAF out of it anyway. and position the filter there, hopefully with a heat shield around it. It's not the best place in the engine as far as air flow.

CAI on most cars position the filter outside the engine bay... into the fenderwell. This is where you get power gains, especially on FI applications.

I was hoping that the aem short ram woudl run from the tbi across the engine to behind the left headlight, but because of the abs doesn't look like that would work w/o repositioning.

I am curious as to where it's going to end up.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i would guess they'll replace the stock tubing with aluminum, then just stick the filter where the stock airbox goes.

i'll be replacing the K&N filter with one of them wire mesh filters you can get for WAY more airflow, usually only benifiting F/I applications

·
Registered
87 Posts
Vita said:
i'll be replacing the K&N filter with one of them wire mesh filters you can get for WAY more airflow, usually only benifiting F/I applications
The only ones I've seen are like cheapo brand name for 29.99 at the parts store. Do you know of a credible retailer who makes them?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
not exactly sure of the name, but they usually run around $200-300, usually from japan.

my buddy has one on his WRX, and on top of all his other mods, he's getting about 300hp to the wheels, VERY nice. i was going to get one before for my tiburon, but figured it'd really only benifit a F/I setup so i passed on it. i'll be holding off until my exhaust work is done to grab one though, as i'm sure the K&N is competent enough until i get hungry for more again (once all this is on)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to do some looking into that. I just like you, have order the header. I'm not sure How I'm going to go as far as the downpipe-back... more than Likely custom. It's cheaper and I can see what the other systems have to offer first. Probably 3" after the collector the whole way to end of the intermidiate pipe, then back to 2.75 or 2.5 for retaining some backpresure. (It was recommended to me by a couple guys who work with exhaust systems) Hard to tell what will really work for the redline though!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i think i'm going to go with a 2.5 all the way back, keeping the stock cat and running a straight through muffler possibly with a resonator, i figure that's enough backpressure for me, but then again i could be wrong!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Back pressure is bad, that is an old hot rod myth. I really don't want to get into it because it is like kicking a dead horse. I'm keeping the stock exhaust, my ears will thank me later. I can't believe I bought the Scdyne header, I told myself I wasn't going to soup up the RL...

Tom

1 - 20 of 36 Posts