Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
does anyone but k & n have a cold air intake out yet...i mean out not in production...im personally wating for other cold air intakes to come out to see which has the best power gains and prices to come down...and no short ram because the gains arent nearly as good...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
look at AEM's site, they've got the short ram, and that's it. i guess weapon R has a cold air kit, but i'd go with K&N as they actually did R&D on theirs, AEM did the R&D on their short ram. weapon R's was out a little quick for my tastes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,787 Posts
Yes. AEM's website says that it will be ready "soon", it also says under 50 state legal "pending" which is why i think it is at the "soon" stage. Since I have a local automotive store which carries AEM products, I will probably buy this item...they also have a dyno showing a 4hp gain with a max of 6.7 at 4700rpm and 4ft/lbs with a max of 8.4 at 2500rpm. under the FAQ section it says "AEM only offers SRS (short ram system) in some cases because there was no advantage to using the CAS (cold air system)".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
XeroState said:
"AEM only offers SRS (short ram system) in some cases because there was no advantage to using the CAS (cold air system)".
which is what makes me wonder if they did enough R&D on it, sicne the K&N gains more (supposedly), i think they wanted to keep it simple and keep costs down because of 1) the maf mounting, and 2) removing the airbox, even though K&N's runs through the box
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
Vita said:
which is what makes me wonder if they did enough R&D on it, sicne the K&N gains more (supposedly), i think they wanted to keep it simple and keep costs down because of 1) the maf mounting, and 2) removing the airbox, even though K&N's runs through the box
Yes the k&n showed a larger gain but there baseline hp was 10 hp below the aem baseline according to there dynos. the final hp number was only 1 hp difference.the kn base was 195 the aem base was 204.5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,787 Posts
Well, if I have the money when it becomes available to purchase at my local dealer (to much effort to fill out forms online...just tell my bro to order it in, I walk in, pay, walk out with the product) I shall let you guys know how it is (granted, the only dyno shop close to me is open 1 day a week which i normally work).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
John said:
Yes the k&n showed a larger gain but there baseline hp was 10 hp below the aem baseline according to there dynos. the final hp number was only 1 hp difference.the kn base was 195 the aem base was 204.5.
good point, but different baslines on different dynos with different gains can't truly be compared until someone independently gets a baseline, and tests both on the same dyno, same day, with the same time between runs. until then, K&N showed more of a GAIN than AEM, regardless of the end results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
Vita said:
good point, but different baslines on different dynos with different gains can't truly be compared until someone independently gets a baseline, and tests both on the same dyno, same day, with the same time between runs. until then, K&N showed more of a GAIN than AEM, regardless of the end results.
Very true, but for me living in the flood capitol of the us ( Houston tx.) Ill opt for the short ram and take a couple horse power less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,787 Posts
John said:
Very true, but for me living in the flood capitol of the us ( Houston tx.) Ill opt for the short ram and take a couple horse power less.
Ya, Imma opt for the short ram too. I mean the..what extra 6hp from a cold air I'd never notice and since this is my year round daily driving car, I need it to be able to drive through winter (sadly, no Psi-Fi stuff for me...all that power is great, but when you deal with 3-5 feet of snow...to much power is a bad bad thing :( ).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
John said:
Very true, but for me living in the flood capitol of the us ( Houston tx.) Ill opt for the short ram and take a couple horse power less.
probobly a good thing then, i don't really have to worry about it so i'm not going to

and this car pretty much already has too much power for snow, but if you've got some good snows on, it'll help a LOT. hell, i couldn't get out of my parking lot this past winter once with no more than 3-4 inches on the ground. worst part is saturn didn't even know what to do about it, so i rode with them the whole winter (poor wheels), and if i have my car this coming winter, you better believe i'm getting snows...

on a side note, those arene't the right part numbers for the intake anyways, or so i believe. if you guys are interested, and we can get at least 10 or more people, i can see what a group buy price would be on the AEM once it's released. PM me to let me know as i may not be back in this thread
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.performancepartswholesale.com/performance/buy.php?make=sn&year=2004&model=ion&part_name=cold_air_intake&brand=aem&skipped=true

I called the website and the manager said to me that the Intake advertised is a Cold Air Intake (Long) For The Redline 2.0 Supercharged. And The Other one, get this is a SHORT COLD AIR INTAKE for the Redline. He said it himself. Im thinking about trying it the guy told me if I order over the phone that he wouldnt charge a restocking fee if i have to send it back. I also explained to him about the long tube being to close to the ground. He responded with that is why they have the shorter Cold Air Intake for our car so it doesnt suck up water and dirt into the Supercharger. He sounded like he knew our cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
mspro19 said:
http://www.performancepartswholesale.com/performance/buy.php?make=sn&year=2004&model=ion&part_name=cold_air_intake&brand=aem&skipped=true

I called the website and the manager said to me that the Intake advertised is a Cold Air Intake (Long) For The Redline 2.0 Supercharged. And The Other one, get this is a SHORT COLD AIR INTAKE for the Redline. He said it himself. Im thinking about trying it the guy told me if I order over the phone that he wouldnt charge a restocking fee if i have to send it back. I also explained to him about the long tube being to close to the ground. He responded with that is why they have the shorter Cold Air Intake for our car so it doesnt suck up water and dirt into the Supercharger. He sounded like he knew our cars.
i'd contact AEM if i were you, there's no way to be sure unless they say it's available, as of yet i haven't heard otherwise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scratch That

I just contacted AEM they relesed their SHORT RAM THE WEBSITE HASNT BEEN UPDATED YET. BUT YOU HAVE TO CALL YOU DEALERSHIP TO ORDER THE INTAKE BECAUSE THERE IS LIMITED QUANITIES. ONLY BLUE AND RED I BELEIVE. IF YOU DONT BELEIVE ME CALL YOURSELF. BUT DONT ORDER FROM THE WEBSITE I POSTED EARLIER. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
yes im interested in the group buy for a decent price let me know, vita
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
i'll find out what i can, i'll start with an order of 10, if one of you wants to start a thread in the for sale section to guage interest, it would be really helpfull
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
I made my short ram intake yesterday....the sensor bracket is def getting made on Saturday.... I bet i can beat AEM's price ill make a topic later about mine with pics.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top