Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if AEM is working on a stand alone? EVOs make huge gains with some better tuning, I am betting our cars respond with similar results. I asked them along time ago about ecotecs(2.2L) and got no where which is the main reason I abondond my ION/Cavalier turbo project. I like the AEMs because they come with a factory base tune(I think?), so that you could just modify it and add N2O an other controls.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
not sure but im working on using the universal one on my redline ill let you know how it works out

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've only heard talks about people using stand alones but no ones actually done it I don't believe.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
wiring things up as we speak. i bought a new factory harness so i can put mine back if i dont like it.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
mine is the universal aem ems. it IS NOT MADE for our car and needs extensive wiring. i own a car audio shop i wire for a living. to me this is not that complicated. DO NOT attempt this if you are not experienced in wiring you can and most likely will damage something or have problems with the vehicle. this for me is complicated. i am a master certified mecp tech. i used to work at ibm om the robots in the clean room. just a word of caution. sorry of you thought i meant that i had one for our car. aem offers these in a "universal" application. these require much more work than a plug in type. i highly doubt aem will be producing one of those for a while now. that is why i said i bought an extra engine harness for the car in case i want to revert back to the way it was.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I've currently got the Megasquirt MSnS-E working on an ECOTEC in an ION3 QC ,including DIS ignition with full "on the fly" 12x12 maps.(both fuel and timing) and tuned with either a laptop or a Palm Pilot.
MS also does boost control, water injection, and an adjustable timing retarded rev limiter (ie NOT fuel cut which is disaterous under boost)
BUT you gotta be able to work in full DIY mode with very limited direct support.

HOWEVER I havnt been able to figure out how to make the MS ignition control work with the COP on the RL.
I initially thought I could convert it to DIS like I did on the ION3, but the crankshaft trigger wheel is different and I had to scrap those plans. But would like to try to figure something out though, as the MS is SO SWEET and a "fully loaded" MS is only about $200 and thats one less "zero" than the AEM or MOTEC standalones.

IMO a Megasquirt COULD be made to work on a RedLine with one of those ECOTEC MSD "race" distributors that run off the end of the cam though. (ie where the cam sensor mounts) Once I get this ION3 done I plan to take a closer look at adapting the MegaSquirt to the LSJ.
(and this since I've pretty much given up on being able to "hack" the RL ECM via BDM- GM just buttons this stuff down so well with security measures, IMO getting it to work would be impossible without some sort of internal "leak"- Anyone speak Romulan?? )

WOT

·
Registered
762 Posts
I didn't think so, this is what I thought you were doing.......I wonder if we can get AEM to actually MAKE US one :)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
ill call ryan over there and ask. that cool??? cant promise anything but we can only see right. like i have said before i know to many people!!! let you all know just like all the other stuff i have been calling in on. it may just take a short while but all this stuff should be coming sooner than later.
the gm computer system is not all that complicated as some may think. it kinda like doing power windows and remote start and keyless in these. i do them all the time for my local two saturn dealers. they have called everyone else in the area and were either told no way your nuts, or the shops tols them it would take like 8 hours to do keyless. which is garbage to cause yes they are more complicated than some others but by no means that bad. once i get my aem stand alone done im gonna start playing with the factory ecu and see what we can figure out there. i got a few friends that i could squeeze for some info ;) and i dont think it will be bad once i get the :cough: schematic :cough: from a few friends.

·
the HepKitty
2,127 Posts
AEM has so many markets just waiting for their product. They are a good company.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
talked to my buddy over there today. he said he would bring it up in the meeting later on today and call me tonight to see how it went. if they do release this piece it could take a few months though for r&d to make sure its just right aem is a good company and will not release it otherwise, he has some good pull over there so we may get what we want.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
zfactor said:
talked to my buddy over there today. he said he would bring it up in the meeting later on today and call me tonight to see how it went. if they do release this piece it could take a few months though for r&d to make sure its just right aem is a good company and will not release it otherwise, he has some good pull over there so we may get what we want.
Man if they can get this to work it will make upgrades like twincharging and bigger boost pulleys much easier to add on. The only downfall is you will want to know someone with a eddy current dyno or can tune on the fly.

·
Registered
762 Posts
w0000 I'll be online ALL NIGHT so you better update us tonight, atleast me :)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
may not know definately tonight but he will be calling me around 2:00am eastern time ill post them talk to you all later

·
Registered
762 Posts
LoL I work till 6am this morning so yea I'll be on

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would sell my other car for the purchase price...In fact the girls ring would get put on hold for an aem ems, I hope she doesn’t read this....It would make me contemplate crazy modifications that the warranty is currently forbidding

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
okay got the low down today from my buddy at aem. this has been handed to the r&d departed officially today. they will begin work soon. cant say exactly when but he said they will do it. now this info was not to be leaked out so this is for the people here on the board and no one else please do not post this all over the place. he really didnt even want me to say yes or no to you guys. i am a redline owner , i understand. he said okay finally. keep it low for now though please dont go buck wild posting all over the place. also if anyone decides to call aem, dont bother. they will give no info to ANYONE and DENY all claims of this to everyone. this is done so people DONT HARASS them. but they will be doing one. may take a bit of time to get it all right with the base maps and all the wiring etc... but should be right around or just after summer. keep you all posted

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
zfactor said:
okay got the low down today from my buddy at aem. this has been handed to the r&d departed officially today. they will begin work soon. cant say exactly when but he said they will do it. now this info was not to be leaked out so this is for the people here on the board and no one else please do not post this all over the place. he really didnt even want me to say yes or no to you guys. i am a redline owner , i understand. he said okay finally. keep it low for now though please dont go buck wild posting all over the place. also if anyone decides to call aem, dont bother. they will give no info to ANYONE and DENY all claims of this to everyone. this is done so people DONT HARASS them. but they will be doing one. may take a bit of time to get it all right with the base maps and all the wiring etc... but should be right around or just after summer. keep you all posted
MAN THIS IS AWSOME!!! I spoke to AEM about three months ago at a dealer show here in Washington at Comp specialties show they actually said they where looking into products but they told me the same thing about not saying anything. I just figured they wanted me to move on to another booth.

I hope everybody understands exactly what this means for us. It is going to open doors for all sorts of mods due to the ease of tuning TWINCHARGE HERE I COME, and yes I understand some people dont like this idea but I do. :D :D

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
yes this is a very good thing. i personally know people there. so i can say this is true. dc is also "probably" going to be doing a full exhaust and header as well. if you dont know they are the same company as aem. hopefully we will see this sooner than projected. although i am wiring a universal one now. so it wolnt do me much good except maybe to get the harness and be able to clean things up a little.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts