Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The AEM short ram intake is out officially as of a week or two ago. It gave the Redline an increase in horsepower of 6.7 hp. The K&N typhoon CAI gave only 7. Is the K&N really worth it??...especially considering around a $60-$40 price difference?
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Where did yo get those numbers from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
can't really compare until we've seen them on a dyno side by side, or back to back, whatever. for the price difference, you get more with the K&N, it's reallly personal preference. i believe it was stated that the blower will take in what it needs no matter what, no more, no less
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
Vita said:
...................................no more, no less

Sounding kinda Yoda-ish aren't we? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
I have the AEM - love it - easy to install, especially since my original airbox and piping in the fender were already removed. Sounds AWESOME.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
I have the AEM - love it - easy to install, especially since my original airbox and piping in the fender were already removed. Sounds AWESOME.

Is it easier than the K&N any worry about water getting into the filter?I cant find instructions online and can a novice do it.Yes I will admit it I am a novice at this sort of thing.Any pictures?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
jim, does it sound any different than when just the airbox was removed with a k&n filter before putting the aem in? thats a big question......not that it matters, just curious, really.


Chazb, it's going to be MUCH easier to put the aem intake in than the k&n, but you should still remove the airbox and piping, which is going to be just as hard with either of the intakes. once those are removed, the aem is going to be easier to put in, from what i can see of the k&n install guide anyway. i havent done either, yet, but from previous car experience, thats how it looks to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
spoke to aem and they are not doing a cold air at all because after extensive testing they saw no increase at all due to the supercharger. they say the k&n will not do any more than thiers will. i believe them. i own the k&n and the aem, and i am waiting for the weapon r and the injen. i have swapped back and forth a few times between the aem and k&n and i do not feel any difference at all. what does concern me is the placement of the filter with the short ram on our car. it is not likely to get water in there but the short ram does place the filter in a much more likely place for water to get in there. the k&n mounts up so high in the fender well it cant really be said that the filter is in a bad place. you would have to be in water up to the top of the tire before you get water in with the k&n. the only difference from what i could feel was the k&n fealt somewhat more ... refined i guess is what i want to say. the motor fealt smoother in a way. rpms seemed to rise more easily and smoothly. it seemed to feel like maybe it had a wider powerband. i cant confirm this yet of course this is just from driving experience i have. i have major seat time in cars and on bikes. the motor fealt i guess larger with the k&n than the aem in a way. i didnt really feel a real power difference upon acceleration with either one though just the overall smoothness of the k&n. once i get the others in i will be using our dynojet to do a comparison once and for all. with a baseline run and all of the intakes side by side. just waiting on injen now as they are behind slightly on the release date and asked me to wait till i get thiers as they are very interested in the results. i will keep everyone posted here. but this is my experience with both of these.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
zfactor said:
spoke to aem and they are not doing a cold air at all because after extensive testing they saw no increase at all due to the supercharger. they say the k&n will not do any more than thiers will. i believe them. i own the k&n and the aem, and i am waiting for the weapon r and the injen. i have swapped back and forth a few times between the aem and k&n and i do not feel any difference at all. what does concern me is the placement of the filter with the short ram on our car. it is not likely to get water in there but the short ram does place the filter in a much more likely place for water to get in there. the k&n mounts up so high in the fender well it cant really be said that the filter is in a bad place. you would have to be in water up to the top of the tire before you get water in with the k&n. the only difference from what i could feel was the k&n fealt somewhat more ... refined i guess is what i want to say. the motor fealt smoother in a way. rpms seemed to rise more easily and smoothly. it seemed to feel like maybe it had a wider powerband. i cant confirm this yet of course this is just from driving experience i have. i have major seat time in cars and on bikes. the motor fealt i guess larger with the k&n than the aem in a way. i didnt really feel a real power difference upon acceleration with either one though just the overall smoothness of the k&n. once i get the others in i will be using our dynojet to do a comparison once and for all. with a baseline run and all of the intakes side by side. just waiting on injen now as they are behind slightly on the release date and asked me to wait till i get thiers as they are very interested in the results. i will keep everyone posted here. but this is my experience with both of these.
You Da Man Z!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
xtremesc2 said:
jim, does it sound any different than when just the airbox was removed with a k&n filter before putting the aem in? thats a big question......not that it matters, just curious, really.


Chazb, it's going to be MUCH easier to put the aem intake in than the k&n, but you should still remove the airbox and piping, which is going to be just as hard with either of the intakes. once those are removed, the aem is going to be easier to put in, from what i can see of the k&n install guide anyway. i havent done either, yet, but from previous car experience, thats how it looks to me.
It sounds the same as with an open element air cleaner, just a little louder and more metallic, I'm sure because of the metal piping versus that ribbed OEM plastic stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Chazb said:
Is it easier than the K&N any worry about water getting into the filter?I cant find instructions online and can a novice do it.Yes I will admit it I am a novice at this sort of thing.Any pictures?
Can't see really well, but I hope these will work for you.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
thank you... thank you....
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
I think you'll find that the AEM is around $50 or so, cheaper than the K&N. Best price to best price, at least that I've seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
$250 for my K&N shipped to my door. I think you can probably pick it up a little cheaper now. I bought mine as soon as they came out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I figured as much but was more just wondering how much people were actually shelling out.....I am only 17 and paying for this car is a feat on its own. I originally had an sc2 but then bought a Talon Tsi AWD for a project....then next minute you know the damn dsm is burning oil like a mofo. So then to make matters worse the fricken quill bearing in the sc2 tranny goes and im leaking oil out of the tranny (not good at all). So i sold the talon and the only place that i would give me a trade in on the sc2 was of course the local saturn dealer (Green Bay). So I had really no choice but to get my redline...it was teh only car i wanted from saturn. I guess it was fated.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
I paid about $220 for mine, but I didn't have to pay shipping...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
zfactor said:
i have swapped back and forth a few times between the aem and k&n and i do not feel any difference at all.

How much time did you give each filter before swapping them out? I'm thinking it takes atleast 1 maybe 2 full gas tanks worth of driving to notice any air filter swap. Let the ECU map out the correct Air/Fuel mixture for a few gas tanks I would say. I swapped out my filter for a new one (OEM Fram) and noticed a difference after 2 gas tanks. I'd like to see which air filter kit out there performs the best myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
the aem was on there for maybe a week and a half. then i drove on the k&n for about a week or maybe just over then went back to the aem for about another week. and the results posted are what i fealt. but the smoothness issue was pretty much immediate after changing them. i cant explain exactly what i fealt but as i said it just fealt smoother overall
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top