Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I popped into my local stereo retailer yesterday to get some ideas on systems and whatnot...I wanted to upgrade the deck and the speakers, but keeping the XM radio capability for the "when/if" - don't use it currently, but nice to have. They told me it's impossible to keep the exisiting (factory installed) XM radio setup with an aftermarket deck, and that I'd have to buy and install a whole new XM setup if I wanted that feature.

Is this true? Why? Any other options?

And, if it comes to it - is XM even worth it?

·
Registered
366 Posts
it's true! the after market tuner/adapters aren't designed for factory stereos

$100 for pioneer tuner or and other brand $50 for tuner and $50 for adapter

so add $100 to any XM ready CD player

i prefer Sirius. Sirius is also $100 for the parts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Yeah Sirius is much better than XM. I had XM in my Ion sedan before I got my RL. Now I have Sirius hooked up to my Pioneer D1, it is much bettter!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
they are correct here the xm capability is part of the existing setup, once removed it is gone.....thats why i opted for no xm since i knew i was going to be only removing it anyway,.....

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, once I upgrade the deck, is the XM antenna on the roof still functional if I were to re-install a new XM setup? If not, should I remove it?

Also, anyone know the power on the amp that's in the trunk? It's just the stock upgraded radio setup or whatever...Actually, does anyone have ALL the specs on the stereo system we have factory installed?

·
Registered
366 Posts
mgm1979 said:
So, once I upgrade the deck, is the XM antenna on the roof still functional if I were to re-install a new XM setup? If not, should I remove it?

Also, anyone know the power on the amp that's in the trunk? It's just the stock upgraded radio setup or whatever...Actually, does anyone have ALL the specs on the stereo system we have factory installed?
i doubt the antenna is the same. i have seen a FEW cars that the sat. antenna was the same as the aftermarket. it's around 16rms for the Advanced audio system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's well worth the $100 bucks if you are going to spend $1500-$2000 and upgrade the hell out of the system. I don't see a difference to XM or Sirius. Mine is XM ready, but I love my CD's. Just my .02

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
im almost positive the antenna is different than and aftermarket one i have not had anyone ask to re-use the oem one yet so i have not checked but from what i remember the plug is a different style..

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
if its not already available it is coming ill check mon with my suppliers to see if they are shipping yet... they already made the kit and will have it available asap...

·
Registered
323 Posts
ok thanks man, i was looking on crutchfield and they list the same one for 06's as they do for 05's so i know it will be the wrong one. when you get them can i order one from you?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
as soon as i have them here ill put a new post up for them

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Keyser Soze said:
Yeah Sirius is much better than XM. I had XM in my Ion sedan before I got my RL. Now I have Sirius hooked up to my Pioneer D1, it is much bettter!
"Much Better" in what way??? Just the available station programming you mean? or sound quality? (should be identical SN ratio etc)
Just wondering
WopOnTour

·
Registered
323 Posts
zfactor, i was going to pm this to you but your pms are full, so im gonna put it here.

Just wondering the expected time frame for the dash kits.

Also i had an 05 red line with the K&N Intake on it but i wrecked the car. i took off the intake but i couldnt get the part off that extends the stud from the washer resevoir. its the piece with the rubber on it that screws to the bolt holding the resevoir on and has a threaded stud sticking out of it. im sure you know what im talking about but here is a picture of my installed intake and where it goes.

so im wondering if you have one laying around that i could buy from you, or if you could get one for me. or should i just call K&N. thanks for your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts