Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone putting their redline away for winter... I am going to try to as long as I can fit it in my garage. I hate the thought of trying to drive it in snow and get traction, and the thought of salt on my rims. This might be my last week driving her, then its back the daily driver jeep!

·
Registered
258 Posts
CLOWNHAIR

Given the summer nature of the stock tires, have you found a source for cheap snow tire/wheek combo? I live in Northwest IL, and plan on driving thru the winter too...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
BlackRedline04 said:
there is no such thing as winter where i live... :confused:

Yeah, we have already had a dusting of snow, and out on the west side of the state, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, they are getting snow already. sometimes i wish it was summer all year long, but I love the changing of the seasons

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Catshreds said:
CLOWNHAIR

Given the summer nature of the stock tires, have you found a source for cheap snow tire/wheek combo? I live in Northwest IL, and plan on driving thru the winter too...

Try www.ronalusa.com they will have what you're looking for.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Has anyone here actually DRIVEN in the snow? Everyone keeps saying how bad the car is going to be, etc. Which I have no doubt, especially with the amount of wheel spin we have. But my mechanic insists I should be able to get around fine, because although the tires are directional,the tread pattern seperates and is more of an angle in the tread pattern than most other high perf. tires?

Please someone go 1-wheeling in the snow!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I drove my mothers sc2 for awhile in the snow, its kinda fun having small front wheel drive car out in it, but as for the RL, I think the torque through 1st and second would be a bitch, its hard enough to keep traction when its raining out. but we might have snow here pretty soon, so if i get a chance before the salt is out, ill let you know how it is

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is anyone else storing their car for winter??

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
To answer some questions
Catshreds said:
CLOWNHAIR

I purchased some blizzaks, in fact I am going to get them mounted today. I am going to use the stock rims for now and hopefully there will be some rims available by next year.

paintedblack said:
clownhair what part of MI are you from??
I live 10 minutes north of Grand Rapids

HersheyRedLine said:
Has anyone here actually DRIVEN in the snow? Everyone keeps saying how bad the car is going to be, etc.
We got about 9 inches of snow last wednesday here. The redline would not even make it out of the driveway. It was the 2nd most riddiculous thing I have ever tried driving in the winter. My firebird is still number one.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well, it has been getting pretty cold here lately. So I'm thinking I might take my baby out of the garage and drive her in this nice weather. See I bought my RL to take the beating in the summer months when the weather sucks, and pull out my SC2 in the winter when the weather is nice, lol...

Tom

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
clownhair said:
I live 10 minutes north of Grand Rapids.

yeah, one of my friends lives outside of GR, she got 11 inches that day.. all we had by Detroit was a dusting. I think the car might see the garage this weekend. I gotta put an o2 sensor in my jeep.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
got the blizzaks on today. Took it out in the nice snow fall we are getting (3-6" expected) and alls I can say is night and day difference. Money very well spent.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
clownhair said:
got the blizzaks on today. Took it out in the nice snow fall we are getting (3-6" expected) and alls I can say is night and day difference. Money very well spent.
i hope they still have some, i think i'll need them too, took my RL out last night in the "snow" (not much, but the roads were slushy) and didn't have much traction at all, although i think it's drivable, i'd rather be safe than sorry

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have already parked my Silver Redline in my heated garages for the winter and also reduced the insurance on it. Winter can get pretty nasty around Pittsburgh, PA. The car is parked under a nice car cover. Car only has 502 miles on it. Bought it in September. I had a 1968 HEMI Roadrunner that I bought new in 1968 and it was always parked and covered in the winter and also on rainy days. Sold it several years ago with 9128 actual miles on it. It was in MINT condition. I want to keep my Redline in the same condition. Been over the paint with a fine tooth comb and I can not find any flaws with it. No chips, scrapes or scratches and that is the way I want to keep it. I also park it on a large rubber mat. Some people say I'm nuts but I take very good care of my vehicles. My 1999 NOS fed Ford Ranger XLT is my second vehicle. I have 32,000 miles on it and it too is in excellent condition. I wash the truck in the garage every weekend during bad weather. The garage for it is also heated.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just put my winter wheel/tire set on today. I have Ronal 16" rims and Nokian WR tires. I haven't been able to test them in the snow yet, but as soon as we have our first real snow storm, I will post how it goes. The Nokian's are actually all season with a winter bias and are rated for snow. I've tried Blizzak's on another car, and they are simply awesome in the snow, but this time I wanted to try something that handles decent in the dry as well. We will see how it goes, but my initial run with them tonight showed that they handle very competently in the dry. I bought my set at http://ronalusa.com

·
Registered
125 Posts
OK, we have had our first real snow here in lower New York State.

I took my car out for a spin after an inch had fallen, and now I can state that the Nokian WR tires do very well in the snow. They aren't as awesome as Blizzak WS-50's in the snow, but the Blizzak's can't touch the dry performance of the Nokian WR's. The Nokian's, as I mentioned before, are All Season tires with a winter bias, and now I am a believer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts