Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just finished replacing my air filter and I must say, GM should've thought of a better place to put it. I'm surprised they didn't put it on top of the gas tank :confused: There were quite a few small things that made it somewhat difficult to get into the Air Box housing. If anyone out there is thinking about changing out their filters and they've possibly thought about a performance after-market air-filter I would recommend getting the after-market air filter since you'll probably be doing about the same amount of work replacing the OEM air-filter (ok not the same but you'd might as well get one that won't need to be changed out as often as the OEM one). Also while removing the MAF sensor I noticed there was a bundle of wiring that was attached to a bracket but just like GM, it was just dangling freely near the top right side of the engine not attached to anything. I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer so they can see why this bracket is just sitting dangling freely but no telling what they'd tell me. Oh and incase anyone is curious I removed the big air intake at the supercharger and pulled the air filter from the top. The dealer service technician told me I could remove the filter from under the car but I'm not sure if they knew what they were talking about, either that or putting a car on a lift to work underneath it makes a huge difference. Well at any rate my next air filter is going to be an aftermarket one, possibly the K&N intake set-up.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Not to keep pimping Vita, but he said he has two left at just under 250 shipped. Mine is on its way. You might want to go with that one...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
one left as of now, none have been over 239 shipped...

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I still have one short ram intake in stock for $165 shipped....ask Navymitch about it he has one from me already and should be installing it today.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I finished replacing the air filter and swapping the wires discussed for the intercooler and I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes. I must say, I don't think its a mental thing because I actually broke the tires loose at 40MPH in 3rd gear. I don't recall having that happen before. I filled up my gas tank and did a quick check of my MPG, 23.6 so I'm hoping these two items will vastly increase my performance/fuel economy. I'm not sure which will help most but I'm sure they both will contribute. I'll post an updated MPG number in a few days.

·
Registered
810 Posts
so what two things did you do? You got a new filter? a k&n? Im going to be putting mine in soon...wondering if you had any tips

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GaRsNoW said:
so what two things did you do? You got a new filter? a k&n? Im going to be putting mine in soon...wondering if you had any tips

Not a K&N, just a stock Fram air filter. My old one was plenty dirty 20K miles w/out being changed. The other thing I did was I switched the polarity on the Intercooler to the correct polarity as recommended by Amishland. I'm not sure which one did it but my car feels a bit stronger because of one or both of these items.

·
Registered
679 Posts
broke loose in 3rd at 40mph??

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Colin said:
broke loose in 3rd at 40mph??
yeah, mine grab dropping it to second at that mph. only time i've broke them loose in third is about 60+ mph. must've been loose ground

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vita said:
yeah, mine grab dropping it to second at that mph. only time i've broke them loose in third is about 60+ mph. must've been loose ground

Well I DO need to look for some new tires........but I was quite surprised myself considering the speed I was at.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
TXRLU said:
Well I DO need to look for some new tires........but I was quite surprised myself considering the speed I was at.
I also found myself to be, 'trying' to break it loose. You're right though, you can feel it in the high revs, seems like it breathes just a bit better...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I ran through 2 gas tanks after swapping out the intercooler wires per Amishland's suggestion and after installing a new air filter (OEM Fram air filter) and I knew that the car initially felt stouter but now I have solid proof. Prior to the new air-filter/Amishland Swap (I think we need to name this technique in his honor since he found it) I ran 237.2 miles and used 10.029 gallons in doing so. That came out to a paltry 23.65 MPG, I used to manage atleast 26 MPG. After performing the swap (air filter and wire), and 2 gas tanks later, I ran 167.1 miles at 6.004 gallons. My total MPG jumped to an astounding 27.83 MPG a solid 4 MPG gain. And in all honesty the 27.83 was done in mostly rainy conditions which means less traction. I'm sure my MPG would've been over 28 MPG. I can't say this enough, Good find amishland! :D

*****Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary*************

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
wait, intercooler wires? someone fill me in here..

<-- lost

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Good lord man, how did you miss it? Search, search, search for it on this one, there is like 2 threads or so, bunch of posts. Summary: Most people's intercooler pumps were wired wrong. Backward spin = no flow....

·
Registered
411 Posts
TXRLU said:
Ok I ran through 2 gas tanks after swapping out the intercooler wires per Amishland's suggestion and after installing a new air filter (OEM Fram air filter) and I knew that the car initially felt stouter but now I have solid proof. Prior to the new air-filter/Amishland Swap (I think we need to name this technique in his honor since he found it) I ran 237.2 miles and used 10.029 gallons in doing so. That came out to a paltry 23.65 MPG, I used to manage atleast 26 MPG. After performing the swap (air filter and wire), and 2 gas tanks later, I ran 167.1 miles at 6.004 gallons. My total MPG jumped to an astounding 27.83 MPG a solid 4 MPG gain. And in all honesty the 27.83 was done in mostly rainy conditions which means less traction. I'm sure my MPG would've been over 28 MPG. I can't say this enough, Good find amishland! :D

*****Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary*************
I got 32 MPG in my SS/SC on the hiway with the cruise set to 65. It was pouring rain too. 5th gear is your friend, but I find myself using 4th gear most of the time on the hiway since you get better pick up.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ArrivalBlueSS said:
I got 32 MPG in my SS/SC on the hiway with the cruise set to 65. It was pouring rain too. 5th gear is your friend, but I find myself using 4th gear most of the time on the hiway since you get better pick up.

SS/SC.........? Cobalt SS? Super Sport/Super Charger? Super Sport/Sports Coupe? SC? Saturn Coupe? I'm guessing Cobalt SS but didn't want to assume.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yea, it's the SS Supercharged, since there should be another one, a 175hp Cobalt SS at some point.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I always get 25-26mpg with my intake on and when i was stock. The clean air filter prob helped your car out alot since you went 20k on yours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.