Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed recently that I've been losing about 2 MPG on average on my fuel economy. And the performance of my car has been less than stellar lately. I'm wondering if it has something to do with my air filter. From what I was told the last time I went to get my oil changed was that the Service Agreement I purchased a year ago did NOT include air-filter replacement thus its been a year since I've had the air filter replaced. Their contention is that I only paid for oil changes and NOT complete regular maintenance. I find this to be yet another disappointment with the level of service that I have been receiving from my local Saturn retailer. Anyone else having this type of issue? Also I need some opinions, Are the Intake kits available out there worth the money or am I better off replacing the air-filter with OEM and waiting a few more months/years for the aftermarket to be better? As far as the service agreement is concerned I'm considering making Saturn reimburst me for the service contract since they haven't lived up to their end of the agreement.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If routine maintenance is included, it's usually only oil changes. I'm sure that they've lived up to their contract, check out the requirements and services provided. Things like air filters, fuel filters, PCV Valves, etc aren't covered in most factory maintenance plans. If these items are, they're covered at a big interval, like replacing the air filter at 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you've still got the OEM airbox, consider the K&N E-1009 filter. It is lower restriction than the OEM filter, and is designed to be washed and re-used (comes with a million :eek: mile warranty). I got an E-1009 at www.ajusa.com for around $50-55 shipped, and also got the 'cleaning kit" (includes the detergent and the oil needed to re-prep the filter).

K&N literature claims their filters can add a 1-2% boost in HP (not something I noticed) but there is a wee bit more 'growl' as the supercharger spools up, and I have seen about a 0.5-1.0 mpg gain in mileage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts