Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone in here hooked up an air to fuel ratio gauge b4. i just bought a air/fuel gauge and a boost gauge and i havent seen anything about this gauge up yet so i was also wondering if *** has any pretty pictures of it too. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Typically you need to run an O2 sensor to the A/F, depending on application. The next place that is going to make some headers shoult make 2 O2 bungs and throw a dummy plug in one so we can do this if we were so inclined.
Sorry got off track, now is this one you got a EGT or typical A/F?
Not too sure if you can splice into the existing one or since it uses such small voltage signals, that you could f somthing up. Someone help me out.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The mechanical boost gauge is pretty easy... the A/F ratio is new to me, but unless it's a wideband one, you just gonna get pretty lights. Not too telling.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I like the way they look... the A/F is just a narrow band one. The wideband ones run about $300 or so for just the gauge. I've heard that it can be spliced into the existing wires, I think. I'd double and triple check that before you listen to me though...

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know its prbo like a pos or something but i just needed something in there. 1) to look pretty and 2) to be a littl functional but if it does go out in the future then ill buy a top of the line one later but for now w/tight money this works for me. well maybe not functional but ya know what i mean.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
soooo wait a min i have no clue really what wires you are talkin about when it comes to the air fuel one when it comes to the boost i have some idea from the other threads but not the a/f

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I don't know on the A/F ones. I know that in the easiest case scenario, you could just splice into the O2 sensor, but I'm not sure it's that easy...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
we do have a wideband (i'm pretty sure, 3 wire or something), but i'm not sure how accurate it is. i figure it's pretty decent considering all the checks they put in (according to PSI), we even have a quality alternator for cryin' out loud.

hopefully someone that actually knows can chime in.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well in the other threads its worked so ill try here...............

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP where are you???????????????

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Vita said:
we do have a wideband (i'm pretty sure, 3 wire or something), but i'm not sure how accurate it is. i figure it's pretty decent considering all the checks they put in (according to PSI), we even have a quality alternator for cryin' out loud.

hopefully someone that actually knows can chime in.
I've heard that as well, but in terms of an in-car gauge, I'm not sure what it would require to tap that info. Maybe if you have the Aeroforce...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The LSJ DOES NOT use a wide-band O2 (too bad)
If your A:F kit includes a wideband O2, you will have to have a muffler shop add another bung, in beteween the flange and the cat (keep it as far away from the cat as possible)

As far as a narrow band AF guage IMO- dont waste your time . ALL they can tell you is that you are RICHER or LEANER than a soichiometric ratio of 14.7:1, they CANNOT tell you your actual A:F (hence the existance of WBO2 technology that CAN)

But if you must, I couldnt recommend tapping into the O2 sensor TOO close to the sensor itself- maybe up the harness a ways (after the connector) would be OK. This because the atmospheric O2 sample used by the O2 sensor is "drawn in" along the wires of the sensor. This is the reason why OEMs do not recommend you ever attempt to solder or repair and O2 sensoor wire- replace only. So anywhere in the PURPLE wire between the ECM and the O2 sensor connector should be OK. You wouldnt want the AF gauge to affect the normal voltage being produced by the sensor though- hopefully it's something they (the makers of the gauge) have done.
Good Luck
WOT

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
see i knew it would work just like ppl in need of help called their supperhero ....... anyways, so did you see the link on the first page that is the set that i just bought and waiting to install. the gauge just reads a, i dunno what you call it but a bunch of squares that leads from lean to rich, but the main idea behind that one for me is just for """"looks""""" not actually funtionally working that i would be taking samples from just to have somting moving that looks cool. the boost gauge is what i really wanted and i saw this set and said "hey 2 for a great price thats cool im gonna get it".

so what i need is the purple wire that leads from the o2 sensor that is b4 the cat and inbetween the ecu? ok im gonna have to look for that one. the closer to the ecu the better or what?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
WopOnTour said:
The LSJ DOES NOT use a wide-band O2 (too bad)
good to know, the guys at the shop i took my car to once said it looks like it had one, oh well

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i looked at the o2 senosr and it has 4 wires in it isnt that a wb o2? *** if you read this i also looked at my wires and i didnt see any purple wires help please anyone. i would really like to get this working. for looks of course.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
pclear9061 said:
i looked at the o2 senosr and it has 4 wires in it isnt that a wb o2? *** if you read this i also looked at my wires and i didnt see any purple wires help please anyone. i would really like to get this working. for looks of course.
No- the LSJ does NOT use a wide-band
2 wires are for the sensor signal, the other 2 are the heater
For the colors you need to look at the color of the wires on the harness side of the connector for the purple (O2 Signal). The color of the wires on the sesnor itself vary- so it's not an exact science.But the heater is usually 2 white wires and O2 signal (the one you want for your AF) is Black and the ground return to the ECM is Grey. But, I repeat, if you look at the color of the wires on the harness the signal line is purple - confirm it connects to the black. DO NOT tap into the BLACK wire (as it might affect the capilary O2 sample) make your tap at the terminal OR on the purple wire
HTH
WopOnTour

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok ill try looking again to make sure and ill post later tonight if i can if i found it. thanks again.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was wanting to add some gauges in my car but Im having trouble finding Autometer gauges that look like the boost gauge in my car? The gauge that Saturn put in there is silver with a black bezel. Any of you guys and gals know what kind of gauge that is?

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the o2 wire "is purple at the 02" but then it turns into brown which "i believe" winds up to be at the second plug at the ecu. i think that has worked but if *** can check me out and tell me if im wrong. but ****i do know that the purple wire does turn into brown*******

1 - 19 of 19 Posts