Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how exactly you went about removing the airbox and if you could use the stock filter when removed. Any info here would be great...

Bob

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
ive done the airbox mod.....if u need help with it sometime ill be happy to help u, its always better with 2 ppl.

i also did the vacuum line mod.....can try help u with that too if u want.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
MrCleanY0 said:
I was wondering how exactly you went about removing the airbox and if you could use the stock filter when removed. Any info here would be great...

Bob

get everything out you can (which won't include the bottom half).

once you're to that point, you'll need to loosen up the ABS module, the ECU, and all the ground and power wires right there.

with these things loose, you'll be able to get the bottom half out.

you can't use the stock filter as it doens't attach by any means, so you'll need to go out and get K&N filter no. E-1009 (it's sad that i know this by heart) which shouldn't be a problem, as it's used for a lot of GM trucks, they had it in stock by me. then just put it all together, you'll love it.

by the way, you'll need to take off the wheel well lining to get out the snorkel tube in the fender (you'll want to if you even plan to MAYBE get a Cold Air) and to reach some of the bolts on the bottom half of the airbox, it'll help some.

make sure to disconnect the battery, and please make sure that you're carefull when unplugging the connections to the ECU, and that you put it all back together right.

also, make sure that you have some proper coolant mix ready, as you'll be disconnecting the radiator hose and you'll need to refill it and burp the system, make sure to let it sit while you burp it and keep squeezing the line that goes into the passenger side of the engine until it's actually firm. it'll help to keep the defrost on high until this is done.

hope that helps,

Vita

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn....seems like a lot of work but I think I'll give it a try next weekend if the weather's nice.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
MrCleanY0 said:
damn....seems like a lot of work but I think I'll give it a try next weekend if the weather's nice.
it's not too bad, but i'd definitely wait until the weather is nice

·
Registered
767 Posts
MrCleanY0 said:
Or you could just do what I did. I didn't loosen or remove anything, I just moved the radiator hose over and cut the box apart with a sawzall. took about 20 minutes. :D

·
Registered
762 Posts
LoungeLizard said:
Or you could just do what I did. I didn't loosen or remove anything, I just moved the radiator hose over and cut the box apart with a sawzall. took about 20 minutes. :D
Wouldn't that look slooopy? I'm all about neatness yes it may take a little while to do but looking nice is more my cup of tea.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Same here, only I rotated the stock box as I cut it with a 4" cut off/grinder wheel.

No sloppy to it, because it's not there anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That air box was a pain and a half to take out. You would think the car was built around the freaking thing. After a hour of trying to maneuver it out I just gave up and took a reciprocating saw toward it, cut it right in half, then through it across the yard. Stupid looking bucket thing.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Saveferris said:
That air box was a pain and a half to take out. You would think the car was built around the freaking thing. After a hour of trying to maneuver it out I just gave up and took a reciprocating saw toward it, cut it right in half, then through it across the yard. Stupid looking bucket thing.

yeah, seems as though it was in there before any of the electronics were installed...

i think i'm about the only one who actually removed it without destroying it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
So once you get the airbox out, what do you do then? Get the K&N, but what about the sensor in the airbox tube and the vaccuum hose???? Please advise?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Rendog said:
So once you get the airbox out, what do you do then? Get the K&N, but what about the sensor in the airbox tube and the vaccuum hose???? Please advise?
i left the top of the box on, and just attached the K&N with the included hardware. i'd suggest finding a different filter (something that leaves plenty of room in the airbox), leaving in the airbox and removing the snorkel tube that leads into the fender. then fabricate another airtube that leads directly behind the false grill, and remove the grill piece alltogether and replace with something in the grill.

you won't have to worry about the vacuum hose (crankcase ventilation), as you'll be using that top tube still.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So what's so bad about the stock air pickup point, ie. in the fender? This would seem to be a good location for relatively cool air.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Rendog said:
So what's so bad about the stock air pickup point, ie. in the fender? This would seem to be a good location for relatively cool air.
Its not for those who race and spin tires cause it'll put nothing but smoke in there :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
D3XXFR said:
Its not for those who race and spin tires cause it'll put nothing but smoke in there :)
Excellent point....tomorrow I'm going to reroute my hose to where the false grill is and see how that does.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
MrCleanY0 said:
Excellent point....tomorrow I'm going to reroute my hose to where the false grill is and see how that does.
that's what i'm doing when it's nice out, but i want to make an air collector that covers the backside of that grill after i remove it and route it to the airbox, at high speeds that'll provide as much of a rush of air as i think we could possibly use

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
What if instead of remoiving the box or cutting it all to hell, what if you enlarged the opening for that tube, replaced it with something bigger, and did just what you're saying. Put a 'collector' of some sort in one of those vents in the front of the car. A 'ram-air' style setup. It could be kept as low as possible to the ground, and far enough front that it could be out of the engine bay? Any opinions? Or is hacking the air box just easier and will work just as good?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 33 Posts