Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know Saturn sunroofs leak. They made drain tubes to fix the problem. Those tubes do get clogged and can get inside the car. I recently had this experience. While the roof panel was still damp, my interior lights would not shut off when I locked the doors with my keyfob. Then the factory alarm would start honking at inappropriate times. What I found out was that the door switches were the culprit. Moisture gets down between the door and the dash endcaps and that is where the door switches reside. Here is a short tutorial on how to recondition them:

First, remove the dash endcap panel. If you have a trim tool, great. If not, a flat-blade screwdriver will work. there are 3 tension clips hold it in place. I always start from the bottom so that if you mark up the surface, no one will see it.
Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Second, disconnect the door switch. This is where a pick tool or small flat-head screwdriver comes in handy. Release the locking clip on the connector. Then press the locking tabs on the switch to release it a few millimeter. There are secondary locking "wings" that have to be folded down to pull the switch out of the panel.
Light Black Toy Automotive tire Gas

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Third, disassemble the switch. A pick tool or small flathead screwdriver will do the job. The plastic is somewhat forgiving. Get the tool between the cap (black) and the case (light gray) and pry the case away from the 4 clips ( 2 on each side). Once they separate, the contact points are on one side and the spring is on the other side. There is a nipple on the cap and a channel in side the case for the spring. the contact points are made of aluminum and copper. Aluminum oxide (rust) is white, copper oxide is green. if you see any of this, you may have found your culprit. The contact pins are held in place by narrow channels in the case (opposite the spring channel). Slide them out and clean any oxidation off, as well as any oxidation on the spring contacts on the button. It doesn't
Automotive lighting Auto part Font Cylinder Metal
hurt to clean out the case, too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slide the connector pins back into there channels (they're all the same size). Slide the spring back in its channel. Apply a little dielectric grease to the spring contacts on the button and reassemble. If you don't know what dielectric grease is, you can go down to any auto parts store and pick it up or any of these alternatives for about a buck and a half
Font Rectangle Commemorative plaque Metal Electric blue
. They're all dielectric grease.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snap the switch back in the endcap panel and reconnect it. Hold the button down and try to lock the doors with your keyfob. If the doors lock on the first try (without chiming) and the overhead lights go out, you just fixed it. You might have to clean both switches. Hopefully this thread will empower some people so that they aren't at the stealership's mercy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts