Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the faux brake coolers. Im really not to sure about it though. The mesh is a little too big for them. It was hard to cut it to fit. Lemme know what you guys think.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I made a grill for one side but I didnt' have a good way to secure it to the black piece. I'm not so sure I'm going to finish though, I put the one side in there and compaired it to the stock side and I think I like them black more.

I was thinking of a way to open them up also, I think it would be awesome since with it open it would direct air towards the K&N Intake

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
You could secure it with epoxy.... I wanna open mine up as well, and put mesh in there.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
if you open up those extra vents, won't it also allow a whole lot of extra dirt, water, and debris to get at the brakes and the k&n?

isn't the k&n supposed to stay dry?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The brakes are still isolated, they get plenty or water and dirt anyway you look at it. You MIGHT have a point with the K&N though, not sure. It does come with a Drycharger to put around it, and the stocker would be worse about pulling that kind of stuff in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I secured the mesh on the brake duct inserts by punching tiny holes in the black plastic and looping thin wire and tying it behind. I started to use epoxy, but too messy. The wire holds it securely and isn't noticable unless you're closely inspecting. The other trick to making it look good is to make sure the mesh does't hang over the edge, overlapping the body. I had to trim it with a dremel 3 or 4 times to get it just right. Also on the front side openings, i positioned the diamond mesh in a slightly offset vertical pattern to contrast the horizontal pattern of the center opening. It looks really nice as it matches the curves of the bumper and headlights. No digital camera or i'd post some pictures.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Didn't really need a template... just layed mesh over the hole an marked a rough outline with a sharpie. It get's installed behind the opening so no one will ever see the edges... that is unless you are planning to mesh over the factory plastic. I used a dremel with a tile cutter and sanding drum to hog out all the plastic.

·
Registered
141 Posts
SWCRedline said:
Didn't really need a template... just layed mesh over the hole an marked a rough outline with a sharpie. It get's installed behind the opening so no one will ever see the edges... that is unless you are planning to mesh over the factory plastic. I used a dremel with a tile cutter and sanding drum to hog out all the plastic.
I was hoping to use something a little stronger than mesh. Since I can get the material for free I just can't stomach the cost of the aftermarket options. If I had a template I could extend my laziness and have the lazer cut it for me.

I guess I'm not lazy as much as I'm busy working, moving, starting a business and watching my wife raise a family.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts