Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was 1 year ago today that I took delivery of my Redline. I'm almost at 20,000 miles and I thought I'd take time to reflect on my car thus far. Its hard to believe that its been a year since I received the call from Saturn of Hurst asking me to guess what they had just received from TN.

For easier reading (unless you are one of those young trolls lurking in which case I might suggest having a parental unit read this aloud to you) I have broken down my experiences as positive and negative. Although the last time I posted something negative on a thread I think the whole thread was deleted :confused:

First the negatives: My first negative experience came from the Dealer surprisingly enough. I was given "spot financing" which means they take your credit information and claim that you've been approved at a certain APR and you are under the assumption that the price has been set. I was called back a week after purchasing my Red Line and told that GMAC did not approve my APR nor the incentives that the dealer gave me on the Red Line. At the time the incentives for the Red Line I received were unheard of, totaling about $2500 off MSRP. After talking to some GMAC representatives I was told that they do not control what incentives the dealer gives you thus I figured they were just blowing smoke. I faxed a letter to the people at Saturn of Hurst informing them that I would sooner return the car to them, reclaim my trade-in (which was already sold by the way) than to re-sign a contract so they could charge me an extra $10 a month or they could speak to my lawyer who would help me enforce the contract that was signed. They eventually decided to honor the contract. My second negative experience also came from the dealership, this time their service department (2nd surprise). I purchased a Service Contract where all service would be performed for 30K miles on my car. I thought it to be a good investment considering the Red Line recommends full synthetic for the oil changes. When I took my car in, they initially would not honor the oil change. They said that the contract was for "regular" ions and not the Red Line. About 30 minutes of discussing this with the service manager AND the sales manager my car was finally serviced. After being serviced I notice they put in a synthetic BLEND per the oil change sticker. The service manager assured me that they used synthetic but it still did not sit well with me. Other issues that I've experienced were Clutch issue (sometimes the engine spins and the car does nothing, did it new and it still does it when I'm at WOT trying to merge w/traffic), Bucking Bronco in 1st, 2nd, gears where for whatever reason the car hessitates during acceleration. I've had a few shakes and rattles that were hard initially to identify. Saturn of Irving actually used some duct tape on the rear seat pass-through hinges which I found kind of dubious. There was an initial problem inside the door trim that was scratching the window tinting I had installed by the dealer (best advice I can give someone buying a Red Line is to have the dealer install the window tint because they won't cover the tint if its damaged by the window trim unless they installed it) Service Department dropped the ball recently. I noticed the front tires had been worn considerably more than the rear tires because the service dept at Saturn of Hurst didn't bother to rotate the tires per my service agreement. I know this list seems rather long but mainly because I figured an explaination of each negative was warranted. For the most part I have been satisfied with how each of these incidents have been handled (with exception of the clutch issue that still hasn't been resolved).

Positive experiences: This part may appear shorter than the negatives only because I feel they don't really require much of an explaination. The very first positive experience I had with the Red Line was trying to merge on the highway for the very first time. I was in 3rd gear trying to merge onto Loop 12 and gave it WOT. I wasn't expecting the power to come on as fiercely as it did, because I almost rear ended someone when I looked down and surprisingly noticed I was at over 80 still in 3rd gear. At the time I took delivery of my Red Line, I was working at a location that had a very nice twisty service road. I had to always gun it in order to pass traffic in order to get onto the highway on-ramp. Taking those winding roads while accelerating was quite a rush. Another pleasant experience was when I took my cousin for a test drive and gave it WOT, I still remember his exclaimation, "Wow I've never been in a Saturn that will throw you back in your seat!" On the trip back, I was surprised to find that I was averaging about 29 MPG. I've also had various other positive experiences from people in general wondering what kind of car it is. One day at work I overheard some guy asking another guy, "Is that your blue Saturn outside? Its a very nice looking car". I felt like piping in but I didn't want to seem like I was gushing about it. After having this car for a year to date, I still get looks from people wondering what kind of car I drive. The anonymity is probably one of the best features of this car. Sure its not going to get the recognition as a Mustang, but I've already seen so many Mustangs out there that its only a matter of time before everyone and their neighbor owns one. All in all I have been extremely surprised with the Red Line. One year down, and looking forward to a few more good years. :)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Good, long post; it's no good to hear about dealer experiences like that; I'm really surprised by that in all honesty, my Saturn dealership has been nothing but friendly, helpful, & honest. Have a good 2nd year in her :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good post. I have had mine for 5 months, and have nothing but positive feedback. Good luck in the upcoming next year, and keep Redlining!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts