Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want start a discussion, if possible about the ABS. I am pretty sure that my ABS has not been working since I got my redline 7 years ago. At first the ABS light would come on for a few days per year

then

the next year or two ABS would come on a few days per month

now it is on more often then not

it still turns off but only for a few miles otherwise it is constanly on

Any input reagrding the ABS would help

thanks

Super Moderator
Brakes working? Could be wheel bearings or module

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brakes are working better than average -

I have almost brand new powerstop extremes - only a few thousand miles on them

at the time of install, also new brake fluid

calipers in the rear are newer - 2017 new from chevy

what could be wrong with the bearings ?

where is the module ?

Registered
The sensor is integrated in to the wheel hub.
If you live in an area where they salt the roads and your having issues with the sensor I would replace the guns as well.. just my opinion.. if the bearings are bad you will hear a humming noise when you turn

Registered
I had the same problem. Right front speed sensor circuit DTC. I tapped the wire at the ABS module and had continuity, getting voltage when I spun the wheel. Changed out both front hub assemblies, but didn't fix it. Changed out the ABS module, didn't fix it. I finally found out that there is a separate wire connector between the speed sensor connector and the module connector. it pokes its way through the fender apron and the connector on the other side is hidden under everything (especially on the driver's side). that wire connector is so thin, after years of hot and cold and turning and bouncing, the wire strands (remember, they are super thin) start breaking. You will still have continuity, but as you move the wire the Ohms will fluctuate. That is why the ABS module throws the code and turns on the light. They no longer make those thin wire connectors, so I bought a pair of "GM ABS Speed Sensor Wire Harness" connectors on eBay for $14 or $15. I cut, spliced, and soldered, and haven't had my ABS light come on since. Hope that helps you out.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thank you everyone . .these are very good explanations and considering I can't troubleshoot or fix this myself because I have only one IRL , I will leave the light on - I am pretty sure the bearings and hubs are very good - no noise

if I had a spare IRL, I would take everything apart and try more troubleshooting, unfortunately this is a dream

--so the resistance is changing - I think that is why my advanced radio/stereo system
works better on hot humid days

the light stayed off the last time for 33 miles

But I think that it is the sunroof design that has gotten water over the years into the "system"
probably unlikely that the ABS is affected but it does go into a "spin" when a heavy rain fall
overwhelms the sunroof water irrigation system.

Registered
thank you everyone . .these are very good explanations and considering I can't troubleshoot or fix this myself because I have only one IRL , I will leave the light on - I am pretty sure the bearings and hubs are very good - no noise

if I had a spare IRL, I would take everything apart and try more troubleshooting, unfortunately this is a dream

--so the resistance is changing - I think that is why my advanced radio/stereo system
works better on hot humid days

the light stayed off the last time for 33 miles

But I think that it is the sunroof design that has gotten water over the years into the "system"
probably unlikely that the ABS is affected but it does go into a "spin" when a heavy rain fall
overwhelms the sunroof water irrigation system.
I've gotten water through my sunroof, too. I try to "regularly" clean the rubber seal w/ any rubber conditioner. I have had to replace the open-door switches because of the water.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was a real shocker to me when I got my IRL 7 years ago - water inside the car - what the ?

I actually read here on the forum about cleaning the tubes out under the wheels wells or near the front tires -this fixed the issue for 2 years - I had no more water - but last time it rained (like a waterfall) I parked the car up on a hill a bit and one side took all the water and overwhelmed the hole.

So I fogot to not leave the car uneven, lol

Reactions: EvEnSt3v3n
1 - 8 of 8 Posts