Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out what people think about oil filters in general. Some people swear by the Fram Ultraguards, some people only use OEM's, and I know people who LOVE Wick's. Recently I've heard very good things about Bosch oil filters and even wiper blades. What do you all think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
All cars that I have owned, I feel that the OEM filters are the best as well as cheap. A good oil filter will have a plastic cover over the top. Most OEM filters have this but most autozone filters do not including K&N.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
INNOVA said:
All cars that I have owned, I feel that the OEM filters are the best as well as cheap. A good oil filter will have a plastic cover over the top. Most OEM filters have this but most autozone filters do not including K&N.
You mean like a seal to keep dirt and dust out of the filter? Most GM and Mitsu filters DO NOT have that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Yep that's what I'm talking about.

Didn't know GM and Mitsu didn't do that.

Carry on! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
As far as a regular screw on filter. FRAMS SUCK!!. All of them, cardboard crushed core with shavings hanging off, and a leaf spring (that only lasts about 500 miles on a high output oil pump). Took one off my truck and it rattled like a maraca(sp?). Then my auto shop class took apart every filter we could get our grubby little hands on.
Best was napa gold, cartridge style filter, one piece core, coil spring and cheap!!
Next was Napa Silver and K&N, Nearly identical.
OEM after that (Chevy 350)
Rest we tested wsa almost all crap. Purolator, Fram, STP.

Napa gold 100% if you do your own filter. This doesnt apply to us RL guys, for this I just use OEM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
they are good filters but overpriced imo... i use the oem ones myself they work just fine for me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
unknownsuperhero said:
Napa gold 100% if you do your own filter. This doesnt apply to us RL guys, for this I just use OEM.
See, I've always seen issues with the regular Fram filters, but I've heard the ones that are in the sealed canistor were decent. Have you cut open a Bosch oil filter yet? My brother is going to be cutting open every filter at Autozone (extra money for the race car, lol) and reporting the results soon. I'll add it to this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,594 Posts
Shabodah said:
I've been trying to figure out what people think about oil filters in general. Some people swear by the Fram Ultraguards, some people only use OEM's, and I know people who LOVE Wick's. Recently I've heard very good things about Bosch oil filters and even wiper blades. What do you all think?
i had issues with the K&N oil filters on my srt4. I always go oem though. how much tech can there be on a filter i wonder.....
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top