Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the topic says would anyone be interested in a Short Ram intake??? I am already going to make a CAI im just having trouble finding a place around here that does mandrel bends. Anyways.....

I am going to make a WAI leaving the Bottom of the air box in for protection against dirt and other foreign objects plus it will be a lot easier to install.

Target price will be around $165 - $175 shipped.

When Product is made I will post pictures and dyno charts, and hopefully a video to.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I can do that for free using the stock tubing which is 3 inch inside diamater.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can you do it for free you still have to buy a filter...lol A metal tube is a little smoother inside and will look a lot cleaner. And it will be a direct bend down not a little left to right like it is now.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Show me a photo - I want a short ram. I can get my own filter (K&N), I have commercial accounts at three different parts shops. I just need the tubing, the small pipe for the air tube (attached at the back of the stock tube), and a platform for the MAF. And a silicone piece to go from the throttle body to the new tubing.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Anyone running without a filter besides me? I mean, dirt and dust is really not going to hurt your engine for a long time, and you dont really have to worry about water because the SC runs so hot. The only thing I think you have to worry about is say a small rock or something...

·
Registered
674 Posts
IeatRice said:
Anyone running without a filter besides me?

:confused: :eek:

Please tell me you are kidding.......

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
IeatRice said:
Anyone running without a filter besides me? I mean, dirt and dust is really not going to hurt your engine for a long time, and you dont really have to worry about water because the SC runs so hot. The only thing I think you have to worry about is say a small rock or something...
Dear god, you are not serious are you????

·
Registered
416 Posts
IeatRice said:
Mother of mercy please tell me this is a joke. IN the name of all that is sacred make this post go away.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
whats the big deal? I AM serious. I mean you people act like its a big deal, but there are plenty who do the same. I know a guy with a turbo scion tc, 300 hp, who runs without a filter. Every car person I've spoken to has said the same thing. All I really need to do is put some material like mesh at the intake to prevent any large objects from getting sucked in.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Um, stop listening to those people. That's completely insane man. There is a reason that cars need air filters. Even particles of dust will destroy the inside of your engine. Have you even looked at an air filter when it's dirty?? All that sand and dirt in there, would be inside your cyl's or oil right now. If you think it's gonna help, go for it. I would NEVER do that.

Edited: Also, a material like mesh IS an air filter, my guess, is a quality air filter would flow more air...

·
Registered
416 Posts
IeatRice said:
whats the big deal? I AM serious. I mean you people act like its a big deal, but there are plenty who do the same. I know a guy with a turbo scion tc, 300 hp, who runs without a filter. Every car person I've spoken to has said the same thing. All I really need to do is put some material like mesh at the intake to prevent any large objects from getting sucked in.
I am now in the fetile position, rocking back and forth in the corner of my office.

MAKE IT STOP! MAKE IT STOP!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
LOL i know and i am getting a filter put on. Only reason I dont have one on right now is the intake has to be modified to hold one. My last one just fell out while I was driving. I really just havent had time. The filter has been off now for about 5 days, but I'm getting it put on today. But seriously, do you think any damage could have been caused in such a brief period?

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I am sort of new to the whole upgrading your engine/car thing, as with my cavi I really didn't want to spend money on a car I was going to sell. Anyways, I know what CAI is and how in winters here, it is basically death to the engine, -40C air isn't that good for an engine i assume from what I have seen my buddies cars do. Now with the WAI, will it have the same problem?
Thnx.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
XeroState said:
I am sort of new to the whole upgrading your engine/car thing, as with my cavi I really didn't want to spend money on a car I was going to sell. Anyways, I know what CAI is and how in winters here, it is basically death to the engine, -40C air isn't that good for an engine i assume from what I have seen my buddies cars do. Now with the WAI, will it have the same problem?
Thnx.
Is it really that bad up there? In terms of using a CAI? Wow, that's pretty F'kin cold there... what have their cars done?

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Most are just CAI and exhaust (can't lower cars to much when you get 1.5foot potholes every year), and other appearnce stuff. But for about a month we get -40C weather and colder without the wind (which RARELY happens). Now their cars could just really suck in winter, but it generally seems to be that cars with CAI on them have a harder time starting. I would get a WAI if I knew (or had more info on what they do) that it wouldn't hurt my engine on cold starts.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
XeroState said:
Most are just CAI and exhaust (can't lower cars to much when you get 1.5foot potholes every year), and other appearnce stuff. But for about a month we get -40C weather and colder without the wind (which RARELY happens). Now their cars could just really suck in winter, but it generally seems to be that cars with CAI on them have a harder time starting.
Ya know, when you read the instructions for the K&N intake, it almost seems to indicate that the CAI is a Short-Ram intake, with an extention. Perhaps you could switch from summer to winter? I would assume that it would be no different than running the stock intake in cold weather, the short ram that is.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Ya know, when you read the instructions for the K&N intake, it almost seems to indicate that the CAI is a Short-Ram intake, with an extention. Perhaps you could switch from summer to winter? I would assume that it would be no different than running the stock intake in cold weather, the short ram that is.
I guess that could work. After all, I don't know much about intake systems at all. If a short ram acts like our normal intake, then I am very interested as it does seem as if you can switch. Granted I am broke right now, but interested none the less. Thnx for trying to help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts