Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
MotorMouth said:
I'm wondering how they do that with the plastic pannels :confused:
I talked to a body shop manager once (not about the redline in general) and he said they would use an epoxy that they use for plastic. I am unsure if they would use something like that in this aplication or not. Of course there is always Bondo :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
JPK, if you come up to get the speaker boxes done, you can take a look at my rear doors. I'm starting the handle shaving when I get back. The material to use is made by duramix. I'd bet it's going to cost at least $500 to get all keyholes done including paint.

JOsh

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
yes they would use a special glue kind of like a seam sealer. fiberglass may not be the best choice here it tends to not like to stick to certain plastics very well.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have already shaved the doors on a couple of saturns and yes it is a epoxy that works best, not bondo. you can use either sem or duramix depends on whats available but they make several different mixes so be sure to use the structual adheasive. And as far as a filler peice I used a spare door and just cut out the shape and epoxied it in

·
Registered
155 Posts
zfactor said:
yes they would use a special glue kind of like a seam sealer. fiberglass may not be the best choice here it tends to not like to stick to certain plastics very well.
Exactly what Sinister said.

Fiberglass and bondo are huge NO's when it comes to Saturns. The plastic will expand and contract at different temps than the fiberglass and bondo and it will crack and fall off. There is actually a mix of things that I use, duramix 4040 is the main ingredient though.

Josh

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you guys are interested I could do these for you and I can do it for around 150 a door painted. I can also post some pics of the ones that I have already done. I do get a killer deal from my dealer on the door skins if you want to just have another set done.
PM me if your interested, By the way I am PPG and Dupont certified and own my own mixing rack and paint booth.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Something else if you guys did this in groups I could do it for lots cheaper.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'd be interested in getting my door handles shaved but then i'd need to get door poppers correct? So there for it'll jump the price up even more.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
not as much as you think I can get the kits with remotes for around 130 but if you already have an alarm and know some wiring skills ( like nunchuck skills ) than all you need is the actuators which are pretty cheap like 40 a pair for decent ones.
But stay away from the cheap ones they are pretty much door lock actuators and dont have the stregnth.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sinister redlines said:
If you guys are interested I could do these for you and I can do it for around 150 a door painted. I can also post some pics of the ones that I have already done. I do get a killer deal from my dealer on the door skins if you want to just have another set done.
PM me if your interested, By the way I am PPG and Dupont certified and own my own mixing rack and paint booth.
Man, where the hell have you been for the last 5 years? I want this done for my '01 SC2. I'm very interested if you can make this happen. PM me some details please...

Tom

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sinister redlines said:
Just let me know when your ready, If you want I can price new skins tomorrow for you.
Give me a price quote for two complete shaved doors, painted Saturn black. Car is an '01 SC2...

Tom

Your PM's are full.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Like $300 plus the cost of the skins unless you send me yours. However if I remember right the new skins where pretty cheap but I'll find out tomorrow. Just so happens we traded in my wifes 01 sc2 for her redline.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts