Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how to bleed a brake system? and on another note anyone every had a coolant message even through ur coolant is full?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Are you changing brakes? On the Redline?

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i had to replace a line and now the brake pedal has no resistance so.....i neeed to bleed it but everyone is trying to charge me 80 bucks

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yikes.... do you have a friend there with you?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
It's a complete pain in the ass... ok... are you familiar with the process at all? How have you been trying to do it? Which wheel is this?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Ok, here's how I used to do it. If you have the money to get it done, I would, but here goes...

You want your buddy to get in the car, have your hand/wrench on the bleeder valve. Have him pump the pedal a couple of times, and then put it to the floor and hold it. When he does that, you open the bleeder screw, and you'll get a mixture of fluid and air coming out. BEFORE he lets off the pedal, you must then tighten the bleeder valve so you don't suck the air right back in. You may have to do this MANY times to get it all out, like 5-10. I THINK on the Redlines, you should only have to do the wheel that you took off. Back in the day, you would have to do both sides of the front or rear.

I have never done it on the Redline in specific, or any newer car for that matter, but it should be the same process.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
If he has been pumping on it with the valve open he most likely pulled in all kinds of air. But Sp00ner has the right steps. Have fun.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
goofyguy said:
If he has been pumping on it with the valve open he most likely pulled in all kinds of air. But Sp00ner has the right steps. Have fun.
Pay attention to this right here! If you've had that valve open, or have been pumping with it sucking air... pay for the shop to do it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
here is an easy way and you can do it your self, but a partner makes it better. Get a large can of compatible brake fluid andfill the resevoir to the level mark. Get a piece of hose that is a tight fit over the bleeder screw and is long enough to go almost to the bottom of the can.. Place the hose into the can and open up the bleeder and slowly pump the brakes. You might need to add to the level of the resevoir every so often. The hose in the can eliminates the need to close the bleeder at the end of the stroke of the pedal as brake fluid from the can is sucked back into the line, not air. I did my Nova race car this way with virgin tolally clear brake lines and it was a quick easy operation. If you use a mason jar full of brake fluid, you can see the bubbles of air exiting the hose and can see when only a clear stream of fliid comes out of the hose.
HTH

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Doesn't ABS just sense when the wheel itself is 'locked-up'? So if thats true, it really has no effect on the brake lines as it just over powers the brake pedal and releases the brakes. I could be wrong though.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
XeroState said:
Doesn't ABS just sense when the wheel itself is 'locked-up'? So if thats true, it really has no effect on the brake lines as it just over powers the brake pedal and releases the brakes. I could be wrong though.
The only difference that I see, and it made me wonder as well, is the fact that the brake lines all run into a controller box. With a non-ABS car, there is nothing much beween the master cyl, and the calipers, so you can get an untampered flow through it. I was wondering if the ABS controller would make it harder to bleed as well, but I guess it didn't!

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nah it didnt worked the same way thnk the lord cause spending 80 bones on something i can do myself damn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts