Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To redline owners in michigan:
We require someone willing to put their car up on the dyno for a few hours of ecu adjustment and tuning. This is to prototype an aftermarket redline ECU upgrade.

A few requirements:
You must be willing to drive to midland, MI

You must be willing to subject your redline to SEVERAL hours of dyno time.

You must be over the 1500(preferably 3000) mile mark. We don't want people in the middle of their 500 mile break in trying to do this.

You must understand this is ecu TESTING... as such we cannot be responsible for the motor possibly incurring damage. Sure, I don't expect it but the possibility always exists. And no, it's not likely, these are highly skilled technicians who have done this for SEVERAL GM cars. But if on the off chance damage does occur, I'll do what I can to help but you will sign a waiver of liability prior to this. So understand we're not going to be obligated to help (I'm not a ***** though so don't expect me to say "naff off wanker")

IN RETURN FOR THIS
You get THE FIRST tuned ecu for a redline... FREE OF COST.
This will have a higher rev limit, more horsepower, more torque, tuned for 91+ octane gas. You will NOT be able to run less than 91 octane.

Be the first kid on YOUR block to have a performance tuned ecu for your redline :) fix that annoying built-in grandmother from GM by having the rev limit extended a few hundred RPM!

:)

All serious inquiries need to email me at [email protected]

I will consider all and make my decision on a primary and a backup within 2-4 weeks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xtremesc2 said:
why michigan? i thought u were in harrisburg, i can be in harrisburg this week! haha.
The guy with the 10,000 dollar equipment who cracked the ecu is in michigan.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds cool. I can't lend mine, but I will probably be a willing purchaser of the upgrade should it work out.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I know who this guy is and he is legit. I have one of the very few modified OBDII PCM's out there. I'd love to get one for my Redline just to get the extra 500 rpms that is needed. The car would be so much funner to drive if it had thoughs minor modifications. I really doubt someones engine would get damaged, but hell if it does don't go telling Saturn what you were trying to do and have it covered under warranty...

Tom

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah these are the same guys who broke the "uncrackable" 00-02 motorola-based saturn S-Series ECU and OBDII 97-99 S-Series ECU. They've got a good amount of experience with saturn ecus alone, let alone GM (to which they have made several for other vehicles as well, including the supercharged GTP).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gary Perez said:
Question. Is there any way that Saturn can tell that you have modified the ECU?
I don't know, but I know all they do is take the stock ecu and reprogram it with a higher rev limit and better fuel/spark tables.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i thought the problem was with the limiter being where it is was the fact that the blower spinning any faster will only create more heat, thus losing power, so to up it will not be benificial. just a thought.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Vita said:
i thought the problem was with the limiter being where it is was the fact that the blower spinning any faster will only create more heat, thus losing power, so to up it will not be benificial. just a thought.
I don't think so and here is why. According to some other sources "The supercharger is actually spinning fast enough to produce more boost, but the ECU opens the bypass valve slightly to keep peak cylinder pressures down at levels GM has already proven it can handle." The ecu actually even reduces boost in the higher rpm's.

So the m62 can actually make more power and still be safe, it's when you swap a pulley that you can actually do more harm than good because you are creating more heat. I think with the ecu hack everyone will be able to receive that little extra bit of boost that the s/c can supply. If you think about it GM isn't going to put on a pulley that is going to overstress the s/c and cause premature failure. I think it is pretty safe to say that there is a little more that it can offer before you start to actually hurt things...

Tom

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Tom01SC2 said:
I don't think so and here is why. According to some other sources "The supercharger is actually spinning fast enough to produce more boost, but the ECU opens the bypass valve slightly to keep peak cylinder pressures down at levels GM has already proven it can handle." The ecu actually even reduces boost in the higher rpm's.

So the m62 can actually make more power and still be safe, it's when you swap a pulley that you can actually do more harm than good because you are creating more heat. I think with the ecu hack everyone will be able to receive that little extra bit of boost that the s/c can supply. If you think about it GM isn't going to put on a pulley that is going to overstress the s/c and cause premature failure. I think it is pretty safe to say that there is a little more that it can offer before you start to actually hurt things...

Tom
the logic is there, i wish i knew the pulley ratio off the top of my head, as the m62 maximum RPM is 14000RPM, so i guess a small increase of the rev limiter would more than likely be ok, but a large jump probobly won't be the best thing in the world for it

·
Registered
355 Posts
I live in Ann Arbor. More than willing to be the guinea pig so that we can have so mods for our cars.
Please let me know.

Shawn

·
Registered
617 Posts
Please I hope someone does this!!! Tuned ECU = ROX

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got one, just need another as a backup. Any takers?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update.
This will take a week or so since they will need to go back and fine tune it with dyno runs like an hour or two a day for about a week.

Sorry about that, I was just informed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
the logic is there, i wish i knew the pulley ratio off the top of my head, as the m62 maximum RPM is 14000RPM
Pulley ratio is 1.85:1. So at the6500RPM the SC is at 12,065RPM. The company I am working with states the max RPM for the M62 is 16,000. They have done testing on the M62 before.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This guy knows a ton about this blower. Says he's run it in bursts above 14k all the time without problems. Not to mention being a forerunner in GTP performance they've basically beaten this eaton to death :) (heheh a pun)

He has the blower efficiency chart for the m62 sitting on his desk. He's also the editor for high performance pontiac magazine (amongst other mags).

He's not real fond of the m62 but we'll be sure to max it out without blowing it up.

:D

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just let me know when and where. If you want me to do it. I can't wait to get this car moving good.

Shawn

·
Registered
524 Posts
Glad you're still interested Shawn. I can't wait until we get things rolling on this...

Tom

1 - 20 of 103 Posts