Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Attn: GM Stage 3 owners

21K views 135 replies 22 participants last post by  tire burnin' 
#1 ·
So, there has been some talk about getting some of the tuning suppliers to unlock the Stage 3 PCM for tuning. While there are companies working on the project... it's a very low priority, with low interest.

Because I have a friend with a vast amount of software engineering know-how, I brought up the challenge of converting a GM Stage 3 file to a file with an attached VIN... allowing HPT to license it. As well, time pending, he might look into unlocking the AC algorithm, so we can make it street able.
He told me that he would take on the project... but would need some information first... namely reads from both stock and Stage 3 PCM's from various years and models (04, 05, and 06-07 PCM's, SS and RL).

If anyone with the Stage 3 kit has access to HPT, or vise versa, can you take a read and email it to me? I'd like to see something new opened up, with respect to toys for the LSJ.

#2 ·
hmmm...Y hasn't the A/C thing been messed with before? I mean that to me would be pretty easy to break....?...maybe i just don't know what im talking about....

Now that i look at it, its only a 9hp increase over stage 2....sooo unless ur gonna run nitrous it would be no real benefit for me.....

also seems that since teh stg3 is not emissions certified that it runs RICH! but i gues that would be the point of tuning it...

#3 ·
The reason why we're looking into the S3 calibration, is for the additional integrated features; high octane mode, rev limit adjust on demand, and the on-board nitrous controller.
Basically, this system is perfect for the guy who has an LSJ as a daily driver, but regularly takes it to the track.

#5 ·
good point....just thinking aloud here....

high octane...whats the octane of e85? isnt it close to 100?

rev limit....i thought ive read that these engines are close to useless after 7k.

the automatic nitro would be cool i guess....

#4 ·
I don't have a stage 3 pcm, but, if HPtuners could tune one, I would have bought one a long time ago. Very interested in hearing about any news on this.

I honestly can't believe GM thought it was ok to sell the Stage 3 kit without being able to modify the tune. Before it was released, the info I had seen made me assume that GM was going to have their own tuning software for the PCM. I was very disappointed that it did not materialize that way. They made the whole thing a joke, really.

#21 · (Edited)
I know what you mean... they haven't been returning my emails lately either.

On the note of your PCM... I doubt my friend could do anything for you. He's not really wanting to get into OBD2 protcols, boot loaders, or anything like that.
This particular case of the Stage 3 is just about changing the calibration file, and using HPT to do the grunt work on PCM side.

With that said, though... there was a time when some one was going to utilize the GTtuner as a flash device, and create a freeware program to disassemble the PCM calibration and edit it. However, that ended when the 2.2L G5/Cobalt guys got pissy and felt that it wasn't worth contributing to as a community.

#30 ·
I'm going to consider it dead.

After a month, I still haven't heard any interest from Stage 3 owners, and have not received any files to work with.
No files = no R&D = no unlock.
HPTs can read GMS3 but can not update it. Right?

#48 ·
Your foot has a much more relevant to your fuel economy compared to a couple degrees of timing at WOT.

Anyways, I'm talkin w/ GMRedline bout getting together with my S3 PCM so we will see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.