Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got autoweek this week. Didn't mention anything about the saturn ion redline on the cover from what I saw. However as I was reading it I came across a large 2 page spread on it.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101313

So they liked the lambo-like brakes, recaro seats, utilitarianism and torque.

Overall it's a good review marred by only one thing:
Track times.

Yet another magazine has condemned our ability to get any respect from other sport compact owners by giving us crappy magazine times.

So get this.
They run 6.75 seconds 0-60.
That's pretty respectable and would whoop the crap outta my spec v's 7.4 second 0-60 time.

Then you see the 15.33 @ 94.6mph.

This same magazine gave the se-r spec v a 7.35 second 0-60 and a 15.68 @ 87.9 mph.

I know track conditions vary from day to day, but how in god's name did they pull off 15.33 @ 94.6 mph! Any other car pulling 94.6 mph in the quarter will pull 14's all day long. So how is it yet another magazine damns us to another 10 months of listening to srt-4 owners talk about our "15 second car"?

·
Registered
524 Posts
The probably side step the clutch like the do in the WRX's, lol. I wish one of these magazines would get an impressive time...

Tom

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom01SC2 said:
The probably side step the clutch like the do in the WRX's, lol. I wish one of these magazines would get an impressive time...

Tom
Funny thing is they specifically state they did not side step the clutch in the article. And also, the 0-60 time doesn't reflect tons of wheelspin. Maybe they let off the gas halfway down the track for a smoke break or something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
yeah i read that article and kinda got me mad, looks like redline owners have some respect to gain, you guys need to go out and hit some consistant 14.5 times like the claimed sales guy from illinios did. but provide some time slips. i personally believe the car is capable of 14.5 times consistantly w/o the lsd. but you guys need to prove it.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Eddie said:
yeah i read that article and kinda got me mad, looks like redline owners have some respect to gain, you guys need to go out and hit some consistant 14.5 times like the claimed sales guy from illinios did. but provide some time slips. i personally believe the car is capable of 14.5 times consistantly w/o the lsd. but you guys need to prove it.
give me until spring, no tracks open here in the winter ;)

it's ok though, the magazines can keep ignoring the domestics (srt aside) until we get up to pace. it's not like the car has been out for years either way, so we'll start to see some people that have let their car break in get to the track and start working on their times (come on now all you down south rl drivers)

·
Registered
524 Posts
garland said:
Funny thing is they specifically state they did not side step the clutch in the article. And also, the 0-60 time doesn't reflect tons of wheelspin. Maybe they let off the gas halfway down the track for a smoke break or something.
Hahaha, yeah I read the article after I posted. Hopefully I'll see better times then them...

Tom

·
Registered
92 Posts
garland said:
I know track conditions vary from day to day, but how in god's name did they pull off 15.33 @ 94.6 mph! Any other car pulling 94.6 mph in the quarter will pull 14's all day long. So how is it yet another magazine damns us to another 10 months of listening to srt-4 owners talk about our "15 second car"?
Same thing happens with the SRT4...Road and Track ran a 14.5 LOL LOL, its more than likely a shitty track prep and poor conditions in general that has happened here :(.

I have seen a best time of 14.5 from good Redline drivers (no slip) and I have seen a 13.7 from a bunch of good SRT4 drivers but no magazines have ever gotten those times.

Chances are the average times for both cars will be a few tenths higher in general though right?

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
You know, what they so freely give to the Japanese and Euros, WE HAVE TO TAKE!! We've got a good car with plenty of potential let's burn 'em up guys & girls! As far as I'm concerned the line has been drawn!

Peace!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about what a magazine time says. I honestly feel this car is a good platform and will a vast array of mods to pick from a bit on down the road. I bet we will see these things running 13's with about 500 bucks in mods. Think of it this way, 1st gen dsm's mag times are also low 15's but how many of them are extremely faster than that. Another good example is the fox body mustang also turning a low 15 mag time. When people ask me what my car runs I just tell them I will let them know in the spring.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah no doubt, I'm not worried about that, I had enough trouble getting people to take my 95 sc1 serious, let alone this thing.

It's just annoying to see all the trolls on here since they do such a shoddy job of moderating this board. The less ammo they have the better, you know?

·
Registered
187 Posts
BlackRedline04 said:
how did you guys get quotes in there?
Autoweek sent me a pm regarding writing an overall review on the RL, I just followed their directions on what they wanted and sent it back to them.

I figured everyone got the PM or am i wrong?

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
BlackRedline04 said:
how did you guys get quotes in there?

oh yea, and who said they need auto RLs? :mad:
Ok I'm sorry that was me. I'll even let you stamp STUPID on my forehead. But they would sell more.

·
Registered
187 Posts
are these reviews going to be on news stands or is it some online review for autoweek?

·
Registered
187 Posts
hey what store did you buy the mag at... i checked like 4 different stores today and no one carries auto week??? wtf?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts