Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to see AutoXing for the first time Sunday

I went and watched this type of auto event and it was a very entertaining day.

Things that I noticed:
  1. Corvettes are lumbering pigs in the hands of the inexperienced
  2. 2002 Camaro LS1s - SERIOUS Thunder and one fast car!
  3. Honda Civic Hatchbacks are FAST at AutoX
  4. Subaru WRXs can and do spin out of control
  5. Old boxy BMWs can haul some serious AutoX ass
  6. As a whole, the fastest group of cars are Mazda Miatas
  7. The fasted Corvette (Z06) was slower than the fastest Miata (all veteran SOLO II drivers)
  8. Nissan 350Zs can either be slow or fast, depending on driver

·
Registered
220 Posts
I autoxed for the second time in the Redline this past Sunday (Have only had the car 3 weeks. I toyed around with some left foot braking and it seemed to help control wheelspin coming out of the corners (Keeps the front end planted) I ran my fastest time right footed so I'm still working on the technique. I finished dead last in Dstock to Integras and WRX's on R compounds versus the Dunlops (which are chunking nicely after two events) Hopefully STX and some Falkens will make me more competitive. Either way I figure it'll take half the summer to really get a feel for the new car, definately an upgrade from the SC2.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well I did my first one last weekend to. Its alot of fun and rocks. I don't think replacing the intake will knock you of of D class thou. I will have to read the rule book again to be sure. Anyways great job!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
Things that I noticed:
  1. Corvettes are lumbering pigs
  2. 2002 Camaro LS1s - SERIOUS Thunder and one fast car!
  3. Honda Civic Hatchbacks are FAST at AutoX
  4. Subaru WRXs can and so spin out of control
  5. Old boxy BMWs can haul some serious AutoX ass
  6. As a whole, the fastest group of cars are Mazda Miatas
  7. The fasted Corvette (Z06) was slower than the slowest Miata (all veteran SOLO II drivers)
  8. Nissan 350Zs can either be slow or fast, depending on driver
  9. ION Red Line will smoke the tire(s) on the straights between corners
  10. ION Red Line NEVER felt like the ass end was trying to come around
  11. ION Red Line ABS brakes are AWESOME
I'm suprised the Vettes didn't do better than the Camaros, anyway, I can see a Vette having a hard time on an AutoX track, totally out of their element. Without an AMAZING driver, I bet it's REAL hard in one of those...

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you mod the car with basic bolt ons and stay on street tires, you will be in the STX class. If you're serious about autocrossing, I'd modify the nut behind the wheel (you) before you mod the car. That's my $.02.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll be at the same AutoX as MrCleanY0 on Sat... and mine is Stock.. Any one else want to Meetup, this is in Hershey, PA.

Xau

·
Registered
135 Posts
I went to one this weekend and there was a Noble :D there that was fast as hell.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
there are a lot of clubs hosting events from what I am learning, that and a lot of venues have been lost due to liability concerns or lack of upkeep. How big of an area do you draw from?

From my drag racing experience, smaller is way better. Norwalk Raceway was a lot of fun when only 150 cars showd up on a Sat. (all classes combined) now that the average Sat has over 700 cars, the TT are down to 1 guaranteed and maybe 1 more with a your guaranteed 1st run maybe only getting you 3 total runs in a day (averages 10am to midnight - 4 am if in the money)

92 cars seemed just about right, we got 5 runs per heat, 4 heats. The racing started at 10 am and the last run was around 3pm and everyone was gone by 4 pm. 300 cars in an autocross would remind me too much of sitting all day at the drag races @ NRP. :eek:
Don't know what I'm talking about. :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Just went these past 2 days for Auto-X in Hershey. The RL did FANTASTIC in the corners except when it came to leaving them. NOthing but burning rubber from these stock Dunlops and no LSD. I think I'm gonna try and find a cheap set of wheels and some sort of drag radials for the next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts