Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
OK, for everyone who only has a blank button where regularly there would be the "TC" (traction control), I NEED to know the gauge or size of the drill bit to use to drill a hole out through that same blank button, to put a Male to Female 1.5' audio jack cable in there. Obviously the Female end would be going where the button is so I can plug in other sources for listening (iPod, Zune, WHATEVER....), but I need to know the size of the drill bit I need to use in order for the female end to snugly wedge itself into the button hole that I was to make. Any pointers or "hey dumbass its in another thread" 's are fully acceptable and wanted/taken. I appreciate the help if you got it....... thanks.....

FWIW I bought the audio cable from Radio Shack (RS), that was 6' (too long), returned. I went to The Dollar Store for some random shit like silverware or something I don't remember, but anyways I found a 1.5' M--->F audio jack. So if you don't want to spend 20 dollars on one from RS and get a cable that is WAAAAAY too long to begin with, go to "The Dollar Store" and look at their crappy electronics section, its next to the fake brand name flashlights........... hahahaha not to bash on the store, but it DOES have SOME prices that are fuckin' awesome.............. I love that store, and was super surprised that they had something i was ACTUALLY looking for/could be used for something useful...... BUT, that's neither here nor there.

Digress..............

Help with knowing a good sized drill bit would help with the button and in the end, my day. Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Drill Size

It's hard to say what size bit will work. Each stereo jack could be different. Mine actually had 2 pieces that screwed together and I used that to hold it in place. Yours could be larger/smaller since you got it at the dollar tree. I would just stat undersizing your hole. with a~1/8" bit and step up sizes until you have your press fit. Just make sure that you know which is your matng srface on the jack and not to oversize your hole. I believe the final hole is ~1/4, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, I was very excited.... was being the operative word. Was looking for an adapter for my daughter's 2004 Ion, came across this thread. Alas, her car only has the single CD player, with no mention on the window sticker of XM availability.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
I previously bought an XM unit, which I still have laying around for sale, and attampted to install that to support the aux input written here. I didn't wire everything on the XM only what connected to the back of the radio, and PWR/GND. Then I even tried splicing the AUX jack into the XM in pins but that didn't work either. This could all be because I didn’t buy the correct XM or I have the wiring wrong, but I thought I was doing the correct thing..

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
mod not working - no sound

I cannot get this to work. I know this is old but someone has to resurrect it :)

I have an 04, 6 cd player and have a current Sirius subscription. I found the brown/white and green/white wires, scraped 'em off and wired up to the aux plug. The two bottom connections go to the two wires and the side one to ground - same frame the radio is mounted to. I haven't soldered anything for about 45 years but the wires all seem solid on the aux port connections. Could I have gotten the tabs too hot when I soldered the wires to them? It is only a cheap RS aux port - bought it right before they went out of business!

XM radio tuned to channel 0, phone is playing music right up until I plug the cable in. Nuthin'. The cable is brand new out of the package. What are the first steps to troubleshoot this? I have one more aux port ... maybe new wires and just connect them up to see if anything different happens? Other ideas??

Thanks!

Doug

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I cannot get this to work. I know this is old but someone has to resurrect it :)

I have an 04, 6 cd player and have a current Sirius subscription. I found the brown/white and green/white wires, scraped 'em off and wired up to the aux plug. The two bottom connections go to the two wires and the side one to ground - same frame the radio is mounted to. I haven't soldered anything for about 45 years but the wires all seem solid on the aux port connections. Could I have gotten the tabs too hot when I soldered the wires to them? It is only a cheap RS aux port - bought it right before they went out of business!

XM radio tuned to channel 0, phone is playing music right up until I plug the cable in. Nuthin'. The cable is brand new out of the package. What are the first steps to troubleshoot this? I have one more aux port ... maybe new wires and just connect them up to see if anything different happens? Other ideas??

Thanks!

Doug

What tabs are you talking about. All ya had to do from what I can see is melt the casing off the wire and solder the aux wires to the open spots.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The tabs are on the bottom of the aux input. One for each wire going to the radio. You can see it here:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-1-8-stereo-panel-mount-audio-jack-2-pack

I am not sure how to test it - will those have continuity between each other or from the ground tab - on the side? It was a two-pack so I guess I can try the other one and just not solder anything until I see what happens. I am pretty sure I got the wires connected on the radio side. I wrapped it around the bare spots and taped 'em both up. I can get back in there easy enough and play with them a little I suppose.

This hack seemed pretty simple but apparently so am I :(
My cheap 6 mo Sirius plan expires this month and I have no interest in continuing. The signal is spotty and even $30 for 6 months is pricey considering there are only three channels I ever listen to.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
The tabs are on the bottom of the aux input. One for each wire going to the radio. You can see it here:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-1-8-stereo-panel-mount-audio-jack-2-pack

I am not sure how to test it - will those have continuity between each other or from the ground tab - on the side? It was a two-pack so I guess I can try the other one and just not solder anything until I see what happens. I am pretty sure I got the wires connected on the radio side. I wrapped it around the bare spots and taped 'em both up. I can get back in there easy enough and play with them a little I suppose.

This hack seemed pretty simple but apparently so am I :(
My cheap 6 mo Sirius plan expires this month and I have no interest in continuing. The signal is spotty and even $30 for 6 months is pricey considering there are only three channels I ever listen to.
Should have continuity yes, trick is hitting the correct tab down in the plug. You could test it with a small speaker hook the wires to a speaker black ground one of the others positive and run a powered signal in like your phone threw headphone jack to see if it is flowing. If you think it could be the plug you can do like I did and get a Bluetooth receiver and wire that in instead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fixed...

OK, problem solved. Apparently the frame I thought was ground was not. I just grounded it to the braided radio ground and sound happens now! Little bit of whine in it but that is supposedly something not grounded? HUH - go figure the radio ground is not ground?? Anyway it works pretty well. My only complaint now is the volume - it won't go anywhere the level Pantera should be played at. And some songs are noticeably softer - Judas Priest 'Victim of Changes' is really low. Could it just be IHeartRadio or maybe my android just doesn't push enough through? When I play regular radio I get plenty of volume. Unfortunately I get plenty of yakking, commercials, etc.:surprise:

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
OK, problem solved. Apparently the frame I thought was ground was not. I just grounded it to the braided radio ground and sound happens now! Little bit of whine in it but that is supposedly something not grounded? HUH - go figure the radio ground is not ground?? Anyway it works pretty well. My only complaint now is the volume - it won't go anywhere the level Pantera should be played at. And some songs are noticeably softer - Judas Priest 'Victim of Changes' is really low. Could it just be IHeartRadio or maybe my android just doesn't push enough through? When I play regular radio I get plenty of volume. Unfortunately I get plenty of yakking, commercials, etc.:surprise:
Turn the volume up on yer phone

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK. For all of my fellow '04 owners, you know just how much it sucks to not have an aux input on your factory radio. After a ton of searching and some figuring of my own, here it is, an aux input for your factory radio. Best of all it only cost me 3 bucks. Note, you must have the 6 disc with xm on it.

Required Materials:

Panel popper or flathead screwdriver
Phillips head screw driver
7mm socket
Wire cutters/strippers
Small gauge wire (16 or 20 will do)
Aux input port ($2.99 for 2 at Radio Shack/Only thing I had to buy)
Electrical tape

Prep:

1. Cut 3 pieces of wire to equal length (appx. 2-3 feet) and strip both ends of all 3 wires.

2. Attach all 3 wires to aux port and tape it up. Note, the 2 on the bottom are Left and Right sound and the 1 coming out the side is Ground. It also helps to mark so you know which is which. Mostly so you don't get the ground mixed up with the other two.

Installation:

1. Use flat screwdriver or panel popper to remove radio bezel.

2. Use 7mm socket to remove both retaining bolts for radio.

3. Unclip the smaller wire harness from back. It should have 4 wires. They are Green, Green & White, Brown & White, Black & White. The audio inputs are the Green & White and the Brown & White.

4. Splice the audio inputs from your aux port into the Green & White and the Brown & White. Easiest way is to use the wire strippers to separate the coating in the middle of the wires but don't cut them. Then take your screwdriver and separate some of the exposed copper and feed your new wires in there. After this is done, wrap it up with electrical tape. Now you can plug the harness back into the radio.

5 Ground your aux port by using the ground wire and taping it to the ground coming out of the back of the radio. It is an exposed braided wire that attaches to a prong sticking out.

6. Everything is now wired, I gave it a test before putting everything back in. Turn on the radio and press aux until you are on XM. If you have a subscription put it on channel 0, if not, don't worry about it. You should now have a working aux input.

7. Install your input wherever you please. I did mine on the dummy switch by the hazard lights. When I did this in my wife's old CX-7 I put it in the glove box. It's really up to you.

8. Close everything up and enjoy.

I do not have the gray connector on my radio, it is the Satelite Aux model, do you have the pinout of the connector on the radio so i can wire directly?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts