Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this LSJ supercharged engine. I did a search about the intercooling system and I see that it uses its own coolant supply. But what I couldn't find was a post of anyone adding a second tank in line with the factory tank. Am I missing the design of the tank? What I'm thinking is a small 1 gal tank under the hood with the capability to add ice and reduce charge air temps. The pump is there the lines are there, it would be just like putting in second tranny cooler, no sweat! But I have to be missing something in the design of the intercooler system. Is it the traditional method of roots type intercooling?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
No one has tried anything like that yet. Everyones cars are still to new. Ive thought about a turbo/ front mounted innercooler set up after reworking the internals/ECU but thats about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,377 Posts
I think a front mount would work awsome. The stock IC is in the stupidest spot possible. I think, if anything, it should've been in front of the A/C condensor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A front mount air to air intercooler would require extensive fabribation being that the factory setup is integrated. The easiest route would be modifying the stock setup, or developing a larger intercooler to fit in the stock location like the 3800 guys. Roots type supercharging is completely different from turbocharging, sure they both produce boost but they go about it in different means. So what the turbo guys do doesn't always apply to the blown guys. I've seen the moroso tank used for fuel only, but I guess it would work. I was looking for something to increase the 2 quart capacity of the stock tank so when we do the pulley swap we can keep the heat down.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
DarricksZ28 said:
A front mount air to air intercooler would require extensive fabribation being that the factory setup is integrated. The easiest route would be modifying the stock setup, or developing a larger intercooler to fit in the stock location like the 3800 guys. Roots type supercharging is completely different from turbocharging, sure they both produce boost but they go about it in different means. So what the turbo guys do doesn't always apply to the blown guys. I've seen the moroso tank used for fuel only, but I guess it would work. I was looking for something to increase the 2 quart capacity of the stock tank so when we do the pulley swap we can keep the heat down.

PSI-FI Guys haven't had any problem with heat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
The laminova cores in the A2W intercooler in our cars has something like a 75% efficency. 18 pounds of boost should not be a problem. However an icebox can only help. Might have to have something custom made though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe they haven't, but we live in FL and the heat is definitely kicking in the summer time. I didn't say the intercooler isn't efficient, but adding ice to an already great intercooling system will net power gains. The closer you can get the charge air temp to ambient temp the better. Cool air makes more power. We'll give it a go even though no one has done it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
DarricksZ28 said:
Maybe they haven't, but we live in FL and the heat is definitely kicking in the summer time. I didn't say the intercooler isn't efficient, but adding ice to an already great intercooling system will net power gains. The closer you can get the charge air temp to ambient temp the better. Cool air makes more power. We'll give it a go even though no one has done it.
Sorry man, I made the last post before I was finished. An ice box can only help for coolant temps. I have thought about it but have not found any thing on the market I think will work. Might have to custom make something
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
MrCleanY0 said:
I think a front mount would work awsome. The stock IC is in the stupidest spot possible. I think, if anything, it should've been in front of the A/C condensor.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock IC, the ac condensor shouldnt really be a problem anyways, not likes its going to change much unless you are runing it, which you should be if you are racing anyways, right?
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
No one is saying there's a problem with the stock intercooler, just that reducing the temps inside of it can only make it better. It dosen't take much of a drop in intake temperature chage to make some more power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
All you need to do is find an oil cooler or trans cooler with 1" inlets and outlets. Disconnect the inlet tube to the stock intercooler (at the manifold) and connect it to the add on collector. Then out of the add on collector back into the intercooler. This will give the coolant more time to cool down to below engine temp before being pumped through the intake. In addition to just mounting it, there has to be some sort of air dam to force air through the collector or it will not reach maximum efficency.

Has anyone removed the intake or supercharger to see the actual size of the intercooler? Also does anyone know if coolant flows through the intake or supercharger?

Jerry De Francisco
DefVinative Solutions
Mundelein IL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
defvinativeION said:
Has anyone removed the intake or supercharger to see the actual size of the intercooler? Also does anyone know if coolant flows through the intake or supercharger?

Jerry De Francisco
DefVinative Solutions
Mundelein IL
The coolant flows through 4 laminova cores that are inside the intake.

This animation was posted a while back but shows very well how the Laminova A2W set up works on our cars.

http://www.usol.com/~cable/Video/Ecotec2.mpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Actually there might be something on the market that would work. It's made by JAZ Products. The 10.5 Outlaw Street guys use it all the time. They mount it under the hood and use it to supply fuel to their mult-stage nitrous systems. I was thinking of taking that tank and splicing into the lines running to the stock heat exchanger just like you would when adding a second tranny cooler to a stock cooler system. The cell is 6"X6"X12" in size. That's length, width and height respectively, and it has a 1 gallon capacity also. My friend's Cobalt SS has a ton of room under the hood on the passenger's side. Is the Redline the same way? That tank would probably fit perfectly there, but I haven't done any measurements. Putting that tank in the line on the return side of the heat exchanger would drop charge air temps significantly with ice added to the tank. The only thing is that in the winter time and your area is prone to freezing would have to have a coolant/water mixture, and you would dilute the mixture with every addition of ice. This would make it difficult to maintain the proper coolant water ratio. But we live in central Florida where it rarely freezes, so we don't have to worry about that. Also I was thinking of adding a drain valve to easily drain and fill the system. Water would be the ideal and primary cooling medium, but just in case he wanted to trek up north in the freezing cold his intercooler system wouldn't freeze and be completely ruined.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
i was thinking of a tank that just has piping inside it so the coolant/water mixture is separate from the ice. that way you never have to worry about changing the coolant. i think i have seen some like this for cooling down gasoline. just a box with piping in a circular shape inside it. i think someone posted that jaz tank that GTP boys use that looks like it would work also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The tank you're referring to is a Cool Can. Moroso makes them. They have two models. That would work for you guys in the states that have real winters. It's about the same price as the JAZ nitrous enrichment tank too. So either would work, but I think the JAZ would have a greater cooling effect. But is there enough room under the hood to mount either one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
i sure i can find some somewhere, we dont have a battery to deal with upfront...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
What about Water Wetter from Redline (got to love the name!), as it is supposed to reduce coolant temp by upto 30 degrees F? I don't know if that's alot in this partuicular application, but it would seem that any drop in temperature would be beneficial and it's certainly an inexpensive fix. I also live in South Florida and it gets damn hot down here!!!
 

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
Joined
·
4,432 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top