Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around. Looks kinda grim. Does GM have anything to convert the RL to AWD? Anybody seen anything other than GM that will fit a RL? Is an AWD Redline a Myth?

·
=[ÜBER MODERATOR]=
9,519 Posts
OmegaRush said:
I've been looking around. Looks kinda grim. Does GM have anything to convert the RL to AWD? Anybody seen anything other than GM that will fit a RL? Is an AWD Redline a Myth?
Not really gonna happen with out A LOT of money and your own R&D

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
that's a sweet idea, but yeah that would be some custom & crazy expensive work

There's a guy on the SS site doing a RWD conversion I think...don't even know if it's legit. Never followed the thread...I just know he was parting out his car in plans for the RWD conversion

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Yeah, its a myth. Probably the easiest thing would be to adapt an Evo drivetrain, since its longitudinally mounted.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
its not a myth. GM made an awd ion rally car. theres pics around here somwhere, everybody wants the hood off the car LOL.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts

theres better pics around here somewhere, without being roped off and whatnot... and iirc there was a video too. that shit is hot.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What about a Saab 9-2x, I imagine there would be a lot less "engineering" using that, but I do not know how the engine aligment is setup

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Black_Indiana_RL said:
What about a Saab 9-2x, I imagine there would be a lot less "engineering" using that, but I do not know how the engine aligment is setup
Thats the same running gear as a WRX. The same boxer engine and everything.

Saab is coming out with an AWD 9-3, maybe the transmission would be adaptable. The next problem would be running a driveshaft and rear differential, which I don't really think there is room for without MAJOR fabrication.

·
=[ÜBER MODERATOR]=
9,519 Posts
handyjoe said:
Thats the same running gear as a WRX. The same boxer engine and everything.

Saab is coming out with an AWD 9-3, maybe the transmission would be adaptable. The next problem would be running a driveshaft and rear differential, which I don't really think there is room for without MAJOR fabrication.
Saab's 'black turbo' project....

XWD (they are breaking away from sub's awd, and going more advanced) and 300hp+

I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
handyjoe said:
The next problem would be running a driveshaft and rear differential, which I don't really think there is room for without MAJOR fabrication.
What's so major about fabricating a driveshaft tunnel? :)

·
SPARTA!!!
10,655 Posts
yeah, just make sure you brace the body so it dosent twist when you cut out the floorpan.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
uhhhhhh the fact that there is NO room under the car for the drive shaft .... and if you did run it either 1) cut big curve in bottom of car and reconfigure the exhaust 2) raise the car up and then put the shaft in and reconfigure the exhaust

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
you can go in swap in an AWD 4cyl vue tranny into the car.. only problem is all the AWD tranny's are automatic and most of them at VTI transmissions which can't hold power to save there life.. even stock they blow up every 30k.. but if you want AWD right now thats your best option

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Ahriman said:

theres better pics around here somewhere, without being roped off and whatnot... and iirc there was a video too. that shit is hot.
I've seen an ad with that car in before just with the wheel well part of it though, where can i get more pix of this car? i wanna copy some stuff from it

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ahriman said:

Wow where can i get thatg body kit

·
=[ÜBER MODERATOR]=
9,519 Posts
crazybrew609 said:
you can go in swap in an AWD 4cyl vue tranny into the car.. only problem is all the AWD tranny's are automatic and most of them at VTI transmissions which can't hold power to save there life.. even stock they blow up every 30k.. but if you want AWD right now thats your best option
Yea,... auto... and doesn't kick in AWD untill 10mph I think.

here is what I have always toyed with in my head:
2 electric motors in the trunk, tied into the VSS to match speed. That way you caould have a hybrid for gas milage, and INSTANT AWD TQ from rear electric traction motors. That would ROCK

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
my wifes v6 awd vue's RDM didnt break until a little over 72,000 ..... and they replaced it and we only paid $100 :D ... cost over 1,200 .....

heres the rally car pics ;)

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
the V6 RDM is more beefy then the 4cyl.. plus the tranny is the difference from the 4 to the 6.. the v6 trannys are great.. the 4cyl ones suck and blow up all the time

1 - 20 of 32 Posts