Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed this shifter in my RL a couple days ago. I wanted a Hurst (just because it looks better IMO) but didn't want all the problems it came with. So I went B&M. I'm glad I did. Only took about 45 mins to install and adjust.

The directions are perfect.....it's like installation for dummies!! I've never taken a shifter apart before and I was lookin like a pro doing so on this. Just follow them and don't skip around....everything goes flawlessly!

The shifts are much much much smoother than stock......at least 50% less play in the stick. Shifts are about 40% shorter. Also, the reverse lockout works great!!!! Looks really cool in my car too!! The shift knob gets getting used to because of it being so different than stock......but overall I like the feel of it much better.

If you want to have smoother, faster shifts......the B&M is the way to go!!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Dude i'm starting to hate you with all the new stuff on the car. LOL

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TWoods450 said:
Dude i'm starting to hate you with all the new stuff on the car. LOL
Told you dude....have kids....great for tax time and finishing your redline...hehehe

My exhaust is getting put on tomorrow.....the header/dp combo and springs are on backorder. I'll have to redyno after the header is on.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Well then I'm glad mine will be dropped off at my door tomorrow afternoon. I hope my installation goes as easy as yours did! I can't wait to put it on after class now lol...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Got mine from Speed Unlimited as well for $142. The order was placed on Monday morning and I had it on Tuesday afternoon. Very fast shipping, and great service.

Although, stock shift knobs FTMFL! OMG that thing was a pain in the ass to get off...I'm pretty sure the previous owner took it to the dealer, and they sealed it on with a gallon of epoxy. Turned my 40 minute install in to a good 3 hours lol. But other than that I'm extremely happy with it!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DBryden said:
Got mine from Speed Unlimited as well for $142. The order was placed on Monday morning and I had it on Tuesday afternoon. Very fast shipping, and great service.

Although, stock shift knobs FTMFL! OMG that thing was a pain in the ass to get off...I'm pretty sure the previous owner took it to the dealer, and they sealed it on with a gallon of epoxy. Turned my 40 minute install in to a good 3 hours lol. But other than that I'm extremely happy with it!
hahaha I was hoping mine wasn't like that....and it wasn't. I guess I got lucky....I've heard horror stories. just knocked mine off with my ratchet...lol. kicks ass though huh???

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
HondaHater said:
hahaha I was hoping mine wasn't like that....and it wasn't. I guess I got lucky....I've heard horror stories. just knocked mine off with my ratchet...lol. kicks ass though huh???
Lol yeah, let's just say that if I ever get rid of the car, the new shifter is staying on...because my old one is DEMOLISHED haha...

But yeah I love it. The actual up/down throw doesn't seem TOO much shorter (it's still noticeable though...), but 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th is a world of difference. Definitely worth the cash in my opinion.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Shifter

Yeah. I just installed mine a few hours ago ands it's great. My buddy has a Cobalt SS and he says that he wasn't very satisfied with his Hurst although it is more esthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm not too happy with my B&M. This is the 3rd one I've had, all with the same problem. After a few months of driving the shift knob will begin to loosen up as you go in and out of reverse. But if you put the knob on too tight to where it can't loosen up, you can't get the car into reverse because it runs out of room to pull up on the lever. I think I should have went Hurst this time around.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Street Dreamz said:
I'm not too happy with my B&M. This is the 3rd one I've had, all with the same problem. After a few months of driving the shift knob will begin to loosen up as you go in and out of reverse. But if you put the knob on too tight to where it can't loosen up, you can't get the car into reverse because it runs out of room to pull up on the lever. I think I should have went Hurst this time around.
put a tiny bit of loctite on the threads.....too much and you'll never get it off....a drop or 2 should do it

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
^^^ Try the Pink Loctite?

DBryden said:

Speed unlimited is right up the street from me. They sell much cheaper on the net than walk in. If you go there, they charge you retail or list if you don't complain and haggle. Thus why they have earned the nick name among locals "Speed Unreasonable" LOL. But they have been there for ever, and can come in very handy if we need something right away.

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
DBryden said:

mine was already loose and coming off (for about 6 months lol)
Shifts are solid, and there's a lot less play in the stick as already stated
Install was pretty easy, but the pictures were feckin horrible. They also forgot about the cables that were attached to the base, and the wrench size was 13 mm not 12 mm

other than that it rocks!

·
Registered
925 Posts
I installed my B & M shifter about a month ago and it feels the same to me. Is there something i need to do to adjust it, everything works fine going through all the gears. I would go back with my stock one but i tore it apart to get the pieces off of it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts