Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Great product thru and thru. Had mine installed 18 months ago. Came off once cus the guy installed it didn't apply any loctite. So I had to torgue it down n Loctited it.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
OMFG, soooo much better. Easy install, even without instructions. I bought it from a member and it was already assembled with the parts you need to switch over from the stock unit, if I had known how the adjuster piece came off the cable total install time would have been about 10-15 minutes but I had to fuss with it and learn it the hardway so my install time came out to be about 20-30min.

The most dificult part of the entire install was actually getting the new zip tie into the shifter boot.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just finished installing my B&M sts last night. I dont know bout the rest of you but a few of the instructions were a little flawed. Like the very first one and a litle later on through the install, it says to pull off the shift knob, and the later part says to "carefully" use a rubber mallet to remove the stock shifter.
This is very wrong cuz all you have to do is pop off the top of the shifter with a flat and and remove a phillips head screw underneath and walla, it comes off.

I had other issues with the instructions to but nothing i couldn't figure out for myself.

As for the build quality of the shifter pieces? It is some of the best looking highest quality aluminum pieces I've ever seen, and was about to hang them on the wall in my bedroom so I could admire the work, but it does just as well installed in my car.

Install overall took about 2 and a half hours but it was freakin cold out and some of the parts were being stubburn for me.

Overall very happy with the product, the shifts are slightly shorter, but more importantly to me is that the shifter doesnt feel like the stock one in that in gears like 2nd it doesnt feel like its barely engaged, and that goes for all the gears. All shifts are predictable but will take a few short trips to get used to the new shifter.

I would recommend this to anyone!

·
....Just A Saturn My Ass
1,222 Posts
welllllll.... I installed my b&m short shifter last night. Overall the product is really nice, top notch aluminum. Not the biggest fan of the plastic threaded b&m shift knob, I please to tap my factory out and use it on the setup. Over all it works perfect. The instructions supplied from b&m were crap, when it told me to use a 12mm socket..it would actually be a 13mm, if it said a #40 torx.. it wouldn't be. Little annoying things like this. Over all it went well except our stock shifter is crazy hard to get off.

I shortened the shaft about a 1.5" when I received it to make it shorter. So far shifts feel great and definitely closer. Plus less play/movement when sitting in gear. I found the factory had a lot of play.

Just my 2 cents on this setup.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yeah, I had to take my factory shift knob off this week to replace the leather boot that was flaking to pieces. After all the complaints with the knobs popping off, I expected mine to come right off after I removed the screw but it didn't. Lord, it was a b-i-t-c-h to get off! Had to jam a couple screw drivers under it and then twist it to break the adhesive loose. At least, if I ever have to remove it again, it shouldn't be so difficult!

·
....Just A Saturn My Ass
1,222 Posts
hahaha I was hoping mine wasn't like that....and it wasn't. I guess I got lucky....I've heard horror stories. just knocked mine off with my ratchet...lol. kicks ass though huh???
Crazy, took out the top screw under the cap and then had to use a adjustable wrench to go on it and smash that fucker with a hammer for about 20mins. This was after I tried everything else. It was hell!

But yeah it is nice. I havent really driven it much since. I finished last night past 12am and got up for work today at 7am and came in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
04 short shifter?

My RL is an '04 so do I just need to search for a B&M short shifter and hope that they have one for my year or do any of you guys know for sure that they do or don't? I really hope they have one :mecry:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts