Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to a GM meet today. 4 dyno pulls for $40 or 2 pulls for $40. I'm just gonna do 2 (car really takes a beating). My last dyno was 200whp / 191 tq and that was with 90 degree weather + we left the A/C on by accident. Hopefully, i'll be able to pull 210whp / 200tq. =) I'll let you guys know :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
207 WHP / 191 Torque. Better than my last time (200whp / 191 torque)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bone stock sir

·
Registered
125 Posts
SilverBulletRL said:
bone stock sir
So the ION Redline really is under-rated by GM. You have to wonder though, being that the Redline's real crank HP is roughly 230, and the SRT-4's is 230, then why is the SRT-4 so much quicker? Could the SRT-4 also be under-rated?

From what I've seen driving my Redline, 60 mph isn't hit until shifting to third gear, so perhaps this is why the 0-60 time is off from the SRT-4? Does anyone know if the SRT-4 is able to hit 60 in second? If so, this might explain it, not to mention that we waste a lot of acceleration through wheel spin since we don't have a Limited Slip or Torque biasing differentail.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've hit 62Mph in 2nd gear....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, I just took a look at the specs and realized that the SRT-4 has 250 lb-ft of torque, so that would work out to 20 - 30 more lb-ft when taking account the under-rated Redline engine, and I suppose this could make the difference, not to mention that it has a torque biasing Quaife differential. I do think that our Redline's wold do better with a Quife differential and slight different gearing, and I'm confident that Saturn will provide this in the coming years.

·
Registered
125 Posts
SilverBulletRL said:
I've hit 62Mph in 2nd gear....
OK, I haven't actually redlined mine yet because I'm just finishing up the breakin period. That's cool to hear. I just had estimated that it wouldn't reach 60 in second based on where I stopped reving.

·
Registered
119 Posts
srt-4's dyno 227 hp and 250lb ft at the front wheels. according to s.c.c. so thats 20 more hp and 55 more lb ft of torque. thats why it owns the redline. no comparison and you paid more money. and the turbo is capable of more boost while your s/c is at the limit already.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i didnt know you could buy an srt4 for 15k, cause thats what you can get a redline for w/ the right connections, new, oh and last time i checked, since you know nothing about the design of the supercharger that gm used maybe you should shut up, the m62 is capable of making 32 lbs of boost, and only needs an intercooler upgrade to make it efficient enough to run off of less then 106 unleaded, i think someone beleives a little too much about what they read, since you have never built either car, or done any engineering for them maybe you should leave the limitations to people that have reached them to debate

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LD9poweredZ24 said:
srt-4's dyno 227 hp and 250lb ft at the front wheels. according to s.c.c. so thats 20 more hp and 55 more lb ft of torque. thats why it owns the redline. no comparison and you paid more money. and the turbo is capable of more boost while your s/c is at the limit already.
SRT-4 is an SRT-4, for about 6 months....

After that... it's a neon. mmmmk???

·
Registered
105 Posts
[/QUOTE]srt-4's dyno 227 hp and 250lb ft at the front wheels. according to s.c.c. so thats 20 more hp and 55 more lb ft of torque. thats why it owns the redline. no comparison and you paid more money. and the turbo is capable of more boost while your s/c is at the limit already.
What do they dyno at the wheels? If memory serves they are under rated as well.

The SC is at it's imit? Where did you dig that up?

I paid way less for my Redline than I would have for a SRT-4!

The only thing you said that makes sense is:
turbo is capable of more boost
I'd like to know where you read this:
the m62 is capable of making 32 lbs of boost
The Gen 5 M90 is making about 16PSI MAX.

·
Registered
125 Posts
LD9poweredZ24 said:
Sorry sucka! There is no rebate or insentive on the SRT-4. However, there is on the Redline. I paid A LOT less money. Be informed before you ramble...

·
Registered
125 Posts
mbhmustang98 said:
all the ones here going around 21,000 or 22,000. how much are they really going for?
First off Saturn is giving a $3,000 rebate on the 2004 Redline, and second, the dealer will give you a further incentive to buy. I know, I just bought mine two weeks ago. You are going to find crap on the Neon SRT-4, and might even encounter price gouging.

I could have easily bought the neon SRT-4, and I test drove it and could only describe the handling as "sloppy". With the rebate and incentives, the Redline was a much smarter buy being that I am biased toward a well handling car over brute straight line acceleration.

·
Registered
595 Posts
hmmm i am stang man and always have been. Id hate to give it up. If i had a 5.0 older stang sitting in the garage id try for a redline now. I like this car and i want a 5 speed over my auto but it will never sound the same. hmmm decisions decisions

·
Registered
125 Posts
mbhmustang98 said:
hmmm i am stang man and always have been. Id hate to give it up. If i had a 5.0 older stang sitting in the garage id try for a redline now. I like this car and i want a 5 speed over my auto but it will never sound the same. hmmm decisions decisions
There are benefits to a rear wheel drive car. I owned an Infiniti G35 coupe 6MT before the Redline, but I couldn't live with it because I viewed it as a rolling work of art, and therefore couldn't bring it anywhere without worrying about someone slamming their door into it or worse. I decided that I needed a car that 1: I could stand to see dinged up, or 2: Is impervious to dings. However, I still required some sort of good power and handling, which led me to the neon srt-4 and the ION Redline. The Redline happened to have a huge rebate and further incentives, and was impervious to dings, as well has handing much better than the neon srt-4. The choice was clear, and I made the right one.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah i just called my insurance company on an 02 gt and it be 25 bucks more a month to get one and 7 bucks more a month for a brand new redline!! Wow icouldnt believe it. Id do it now if i could afford the payments and had me a fox 5.0 to work on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
if the m62 spins any faster it will just creat more heat than the intercooler can put up with therefore causing detination. ther thing run at 12 psi stock and from what ive heard 14 is pushin it. and i'd still but a srt-4 over a redline in a heartbeat. dodge is on top of there game right now while gm and ford got there head up each others asses. the stage 3 will make 370fwhp for like 2500 bucks ther only way a redline will do that is if you get rid of the sc and slap on a turbo. and those gay ass center gauges total makes me not want one. gm failed with this and the cobalt and only time will reveal this. the shoulda stuck the 2.0 s/c in the sc2 sunfire and cav and they would actually have a srt-4 competitor.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts