Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening, I'm looking to buy myself an '05 Redline with an unknown issue. Car is clean, but has 200k on the clock. My plan is to pull the engine and completely rebuild, possibly go all out bulletproof. Go through and replace all suspension bushings, clutch, all the normal stuff on a high mileage car and then mod it into my toy. Paying $1,500 for the car. I just barely missed a highly modified one for 2k that I really wanted but this is the knly one I can find within 200 miles.

So, my question is this; is this a stupid plan? Is a 200k car too clapped out to make into a worthwhile and reliable toy? Am I just wasting money rebuilding it and should save that money to buy something already gtg? Planning to pull the trigger tonight unless I hear reasons not to. Also, anything Redline/LSJ specific I should be watchful for?

I think this will be fun project and I like making a car "mine" and the idea of having essentially a nearly fresh car. At least that's how it goes in my head. This is not my first rodeo with blown GM's, my previous addictions has been the superchargered 3800. Please, all y'all with some serious experience with this platform, share your wisdom. Much thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
Id rather start with a clean slate than buying one already modded. At least if you build it from the start, and something goes wrong, you know every detail of everything you have done. Where as with a modded car, you have know idea if something was a hack job or not.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car was totally trash, whole subframe was rotted out, brake lines cut and plugged with lag bolts, huge holes in the floor pan, transmission was junk, power steering toast, etc. Totally unmoved engine that seemed healthy though. Offered him $1,000 which I think was too much just because I want the engine that I'd rebuild and put in my other Ion. He foolishly refused. So, hunt continues.

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
Transmissions are generally the weak point in LSJs. Theyre not as stout as the base model ones. That car sounds like its destined for the junk yard if imma be honest.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guy claims someone is coming to buy it off of him tomorrow for 2k. If so, he's the luckiest guy I've ever met. When that likely falls through, I'm still going to try and get that engine. Absolutely no luck whatsoever finding a car worth buying in the tri-state area. There's one mint condition low milage one that's unmodded, but the guy has had it listed for months and refuses to engage in conversation with anything but two word replies and won't respond to a request to meet to buy the car at full asking price. Not sure what the deal is with these cars.

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
When it falls through, and says he will take that 1k, tell him youve got 800 and some mcnuggets now.

Reactions: NFLT!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welp, done did it. Pulling the old beast home now. Will pull all the needed parts to swap the blower onto the L61 in my daily driver. Also sway bar and any worthwhile suspension parts and front seats.

If I can ever figure out the sensor issue, particularly the crank reluctor wheel, and figure out if I can make a clean engine swap the I'll be building out the 2.0 long block over winter. Then swap engines probably come spring. I'm getting conflicting information, some say the triggers are clocked different,some say the 07-08 L61 trigger is exactly the same as LSJ.

I'm not swapping harnesses and modules soifan easy swap isn't viable then I'll sell the good LSJ bottom end and build out a junkyard L61. Hoping to avoid this though, much cheaper parts and clutches available for the LSJ.

Also, those looking for parts, feel free to shoot me a message.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Some badly rigged in injectors, lime green Seimens injectors. Can anyone ID? Also, ZZP duel pass end plate? I think so.
Also definitely a ZZP modular pulley.

Which means this this thing has definitely been modded. Engine sounds great, going to do a leakdown test on it and see what I find. If all good, I'm hoping to just skip all the steps in the middle and do the engine swap if I can get the needed info.

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
Those green injectors are stock. They SHOULD NOT of been ran with a smaller pulley. Silly boy didnt do his research.
If you end up needing an injector harness, holla at me. I have a box of em.

That is def a dual pass though.

I may take that engine harness off your hands if you still have it in a few weeks. Maybe the pcm, too. Havent fully decided what set up I am going with in my car yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those green injectors are stock. They SHOULD NOT of been ran with a smaller pulley. Silly boy didnt do his research.
If you end up needing an injector harness, holla at me. I have a box of em.

That is def a dual pass though.

I may take that engine harness off your hands if you still have it in a few weeks. Maybe the pcm, too. Havent fully decided what set up I am going with in my car yet.
That injector harness is a total abortion, so will absolutely take you up on that. And I doubt I have any use for the harness or pcm, I really don't want to be swapping the entire thing. So it's yours if you want it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are also black injectors sitting in the back seat. The kid was having problems with it. First he thought it was the clutch and so replaced it, then thought it was the supercharger when that didn't work and put new bearings in it. Perhaps he then bought new stock injectors thinking that would help and it had a harness for larger injectors that wouldn't plug up? Beats me, just a theory. Hopefully he didn't damage anything running stock injectors. Thankfully he never got it going, so it couldn't have been run hard if so.

Things are unbolted all over the engine bay and obvious hardware store replacement hardware holding down the blower and other random thing's. May need to strip everything just to uncover whatever shoddy work was done to this poor engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
post a pic of the injectors or a part number when you get a chance. They are probably 60s or 80s.
Damn so you got a new clutch and "rebuilt" blower on that masterpiece? sweeeet.

Come to think of it. Larger injectors take a different harness. They are def 60s or 80s. And he cheaped out and spliced new connectors on instead of spending the $20 on a harness.

Im pretty sure I have a stock harness. I know for sure I do not have a harness for aftermarket injectors.

Figure out a price for me. And I will try to make some extra cash appear. Havent flagged but 15 hours in the last 3 days. We ran out of cars at work, so now its a waiting game.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are also black injectors sitting in the back seat. The kid was having problems with it. First he thought it was the clutch and so replaced it, then thought it was the supercharger when that didn't work and put new bearings in it. Perhaps he then bought new stock injectors thinking that would help and it had a harness for larger injectors that wouldn't plug up? Beats me, just a theory. Hopefully he didn't damage anything running stock injectors. Thankfully he never got it going, so it couldn't have been run hard if so.

Things are unbolted all over the engine bay and obvious hardware store replacement hardware holding down the blower and other random thing's. May need to strip everything just to uncover whatever shoddy work was done to this poor engine.
FWIW, these are the 42’s in my R/L that I had sent out to Josh B.for cleaning. If they are black and look skinnier, they are probably 60’s. You would need that specific injector harness as the pigtails are different, if he didn’t already give you one.
Font Audio equipment Machine Auto part Titanium

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll post up those injectors soon
But here's the million dollar question; do I swap the big old aero spoiler onto my sedan? I'm thinking yes just because find the idea funny.

·
Super Moderator
1,869 Posts
It has the big wang? You can probably get what you paid for the car just selling that wing on ebay lmao people go crazy over it. Ive had a black one in the back of storage forever.
do it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There are two different kinds of injectors. Three say 0126, the fourth is can't make out but it's clearly a different injector. All are Seimens Deka and lime green. Any ideas?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It has the big wang? You can probably get what you paid for the car just selling that wing on ebay lmao people go crazy over it. Ive had a black one in the back of storage forever.
do it!
It does, yes. I'm not sure if it's factory or aftermarket. Would hate to sell it not knowing, don't want to screw anyone wanting an authentic part. The thing was held on by 6 lag bolts. Is that standard?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts