Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided that after reading all this re: air intake; that there had to be a cheaper and very effective way to do this. I would only do it if it was safe and in no way effected the warranties. Well, I did it. First you disconect all the factory clamps starting from the throttle body and work your way down to the top of the air box, bear in mind to disconect the MAF sensor. Once this is done all you should see is the top of air box w/the air inlet open. Now, you will see 2 screw heads....take them out completley. Next lift the radiator hose to you left untill you see another screw...take it out as well and move the radiator hose to your right just enough where you can start to lift the top of the air box up. The filter will still be attached but you must twist the top of the box to your right and up and sideways until you can lift the entire assembly out. Now you can see the inside of the box. Next. take the top portion of the air box and unscrew the sensor. once the sensor is out, pull off the O ring by rolling it down over the sensor. Now locate the tit ( yes i said tit, now shut up and read ) where the tube connects from the top of the head to the factory air inlet hose. Just below the tit place the log part of the sensor to the hose and visualize, that is where you will be grinding a hole so that the sensor will will slide in and fit. This is trial and error and what you want is to be able to work the sensor in to where it is tight. This is the hardest part of the process. If you do it right the sensor will now fit snug over the area that you removed the O ring and will see that it is tight. Make sure of course that the arrow on the sensor is facing up in the direction of air flow. Next you may use any filter that has a cone . I bought them from Auto zone, st/st mesh.....24.95. This one was the only one that would fit into the factory air inlet tube....at the bottom of course. Once the sensor is in tight ( if your not sure use a twist tie, attach the cone filter. Make sure you clean out the oil residue and what ever shaving's are left from inside the tube. Once you done, carefully manage the filter down inside the top portion of the air box. You will need to once again move the radiator hose to you right so that the filter will drop down. As you see at his point your new filter sets at an angle. The cold air will push it's way up thru and around the new filter, while in motion the force of the air will not permit hot air into the filter and yet the box protects the filter. Befor you attach the tube to the throttle body reconnect the sensor conector and carefully reattach the oil emmision tube. Now you can attach the top of the factory air inlet to the throttle body. Check connection for fit and start car. Let it run for 5 mins. No need to disconect the battery for this. I did 4 cars in 4 hour's and no idiot light's ( service engine light) have appeared. Now Drive ! After your adventure check all for fit. To drill the the hole I used my Dremmel aprox 1-1 1/4 " diameter for the sensor. I will try to attach photo's to this thread. I was into it so much that I neglected to take pics as I went. So I do have after shot's ( if I can figuire out how to post on this forum ) When you see the pics it all look's factory from the top. This mod work's ! If I felt that this would not work...I wouldn't post it. P.S. this site says the pictures are too big....so I will post them in my gallery at Saturnfans.com Look for Barry.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
me too, i want to see what you did with the sensor, i just cannot picture it!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I'd like to see some pics as well. Your gallery at SF is like 1000 pages long. ;)

Although, it's a little too late for me, I've already destroyed my airbox while taking it completely off. :D

I'm still curious to see what you did though.

You can go to google and search "free JPEG resizer" and find hundreds of programs to change the pic size for free.

Also, www.IMGspot.com will host pics for free.

*edit* I see that IMGspot is down right now. I do prefer it, but you can also use this one as well http://www.afreeimagehost.com/ It's free to sign up for an account.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics are on Saturnfans.com now.

Thank's for the offer's. I've tried to email some of my pics before and outlook express almost crashed because of the size. I'll try that program for jpegs.....if I can figure it out. I'm good at some things and not others......IB Normal !

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
used freeware

thank's guy's. I just posted them, although it only allows 5 files on this thread and there are 7 pics

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
So basically, you just got rid of the top of the airbox and use the housing to protect the filter?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Pretty much remove the lid, drilled a new hole for the Air Flow Sensor directly under the PCV port, install the sensor the correct way, secure with ziptie for a lil extra protection, attach the air filter to the tube, drop it all in. Gotta admit he did them like he was doing this for a few years. Thanks Barry.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
easily hear and feal. The ass dyno noticed as well.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
that's a nice way to do it, and i'm sure it's as effective as any other way, but i'd be a little aprehensive about chopping up my stock stuff. either way, i like how you keep the airbox in to keep heat out!

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
the only thing we modified was the intake tube by drilling a hole in it. The lid is still in perfect condidtion and if you need to put it back the tube is 30 bucks?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
goofyguy said:
the only thing we modified was the intake tube by drilling a hole in it. The lid is still in perfect condidtion and if you need to put it back the tube is 30 bucks?
i didn't realize it was so cheap, but you are just as well leaving the top on and just putting a filter on the bottom of the airbox lid, i don't really see there being much of a difference

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
if you look at the tube that travels into the box its coragated and not very big. As well it makes lots of turns to make it to the fender. Where as with the lid off the air from down there is still coming up into the box. With the filter in the open it can pull in much much more air from all around where there is no breathing resistance.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i think you missed my point, if you just slap a filter on the bottom of the lid of the airbox, you don't need to mess with the hose, and if you take off the snorkel, you're getting colder air, and the filter can get as much air as it needs from within the box, essentially doing the exact same thing as this mod, without modifying the stock stuff, and actually having more of a sheild from the heat within the engine bay.

trust me, i'm not knocking what you guys have done, but you'll essentially be doing the same thing by just putting a filter on where the stock one goes. the tube through the lid isn't any smaller than the rest of the intake

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
also, you guys should remove the snorkel, it goes way up into the fender, if you remove it, you're drawing air from around the drivers side of the radiator essentially getting a cold air effect as air will rush in through that route, just a thought

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I will make a full how to next week on monday. Wont have time to get to it today. I will reassemble the whole thing and work backword for you non mechanical types

1 - 20 of 71 Posts