Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My lovely wife just got herself a red Redline. She took it out on the track (Pacific Raceways, Kent, WA) last weekend and ran with the Porsches. As I'm sure you all know, the car is a monster. The Porsches found out when she passed them coming out of the corners and on the straight.

She's very pleased with the car, having learned her track skills in my BMW M3. In fact, she maintains that the Redline has less body roll than the BMW 330i with the Performance Package.

So here's a few questions we have.

Is it worth it to lower the car?
Is there an advantage to 18" wheels?
How do we adjust clutch pedal play? There is too much play between the bottom of the pedal and the release point. Is there a spring available for faster return?
Can the clutch pedal and gas pedal be adjusted for better heel/toe?
We need a dead pedal.
The gas pedal is a little mushy, is there a way to fine tune it?

There is a huge amount of aftermarket stuff available for my M3. Many companies specialize in BMW gear. Is it the same for the Redline? I copied the sticky list, so I'll start checking out the websites tomorrow.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Well, currently, only a few of those questions can be answered with a positive response. There hasn't been much aftermarket support to this point with our cars, because many companies see us as "just saturns" and don't believe there is a big enough performance market to target, but this is all probably going to change with the release of the Cobalt SS/SC. I think the only advantage to the bigger rims would be for appearance. Our rims are forged aluminum, not chrome. So each rim only weighs about 16.XX pounds, and with tire, only 20.XX pounds. So, there isn't much out there that is going to be better, without spending a small fortune. For lowering the car, it does not seem like a neccesity to do because our car was tuned at the Nurburgring(sp?) in Germany, so for a stock econo-box, it has an awesome suspension. Some have lowered the car and reported some better cornering. And as far as adjusting the pedals, I have not heard about being able to at all yet. Check aroung though, the search engine is a wonderful thing. And welcome to the club.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Still very little aftermarket support. The car is drive by wire, so you could put a spring on the gas pedal to make it more stiff, but it will not change the gas pedal to throttle body control one bit. The 17s on the car are VERY light, going to any 18 (and there are VERY FEW avail) would be more unsprung weight, so I'd say nix the bigger wheels for track time.

The clutch is not too adjustable for what you are looking for as far as I've seen posted on the forums. GM already moved the gas/brake for heel/toe as compared to regular IONs. Dead Pedal - find a good one and post it here. There are a few of us that are looking to get one installed. a few of the members here have lowered their cars and say that theey handle better, but none of them that I can remember have taken the cars autocrossing or to a road track. I have read several comments by owners that have high praises for the way the Red Line ION handles with the stock suspension in the curves and turns of autocross/track racing. I know personally, I have pushed mine hard into turns and the understeer is minimal for a FWD car and the body roll is less than most factory stock cars. The Dunlops that come on them are very good for the street, but a set of Kuhmo race tires of the likes are needed for the best performance. Oh, and lets not forget the LSD, or lack thereof. A limited slip should be installed if racing on a track is planned. A heavy mash of the gas coming out of a turn in 2nd will light up the inside tire in smoke every time. (see my video )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your comments.
The dealer folks neglected to mention that a LSD is offered in the performance package. They probably didn't even know. The RL was on the lot less than 24 hours when we got it. I would have wanted the LSD, but my lovely wife doesn't really care one way or the other.

Based on your collective comments, I think we are going to focus on the clutch play and a dead pedal. There is an adjustable clutch-stop available for the BMW, so I'm thinking of seeing if I can modify it (it's floor mounted).

I watched the AutoX vid clip. It does look like fun, but I just don't do well in cones. My BMW club does a small one at every Novice School and it makes me look really bad. What can I say, I'm just a road course guy.

We were at Pacific Raceways for 2 days. One day with the Porsches and one day with the BMW's. Between run groups, there was a steady stream of Porsche guys wanting to check out the car, the engine, and the seats (Recarro's in a Saturn!?). At the BMW day (we're both members), only the instructors were interested.

Even with no LSD, the car is very manageable in high-g cornering. I haven't yet picked it up, but my wife sure has. Granted, I only drive it occasionally and on the streets. It corners impressively, the front wheel drive just takes a little getting used to. We're back at Pacific Raceways on 7/10, so I'm going to both drive and right seat to get a better feel for the car.

Anyone in the Pacific NW who wants to High Perf drive on a closed road course in their RL, we'd love to have you come out with us. Send me an email off-list.

[email protected]

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have it both lowered and 18's on. The lowering reduced body roll and the 18's are a bit wider (225) giving a better grip around turns.

btw, stock rims are more around 20lb. The 18's were 23lb and not forged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mase said:
I have it both lowered and 18's on. The lowering reduced body roll and the 18's are a bit wider (225) giving a better grip around turns.

btw, stock rims are more around 20lb. The 18's were 23lb and not forged.

Which springs and rims did you use?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok guys, I'm a newb when it comes to tuning and racing, so help me out if you don't mind...

1) What exactly is the power band and what is it for the 04 redline? I have the general idea but don't know exactly.
2) I know there isn't much out there for body kits and the like, but is there any good sites I can visit for our redlines?
3)I'm picking up my redline on Mon. 6/20/05 and I'm wondering what the best wallet-friendly performance upgrades are.

Thanks for your help in advance, great forums.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Raizer Redline said:
Ok guys, I'm a newb...
1) What exactly is the power band and what is it for the 04 redline?...
The power band is an elastic band between two gears in the transmission, seperate from your 1st-5th gears, it's electronically controlled. It winds in one direction, until the "power band" starts, at which time it releases, and the energy stored in the band runs the gears, aiding the engine, giving you a little "boost" of acceleration. After that it winds back up between shifts.

It was developed by Ric Banderhol in 1936. I think he worked for Ford.

You'll know when the power band breaks... Oh you'll know.

Same concept on those little toy prop planes.

Power band is that area where the motor makes the most power. Where it sings. The Redline always climbs, so... Wherever you want to start it, up to... redline... :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Louis said:
Which springs and rims did you use?
I put in the Sprint springs and Katana Passions (look in the gallery).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts