Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am thinking of getting a new battery.

Are the oem batteries still available? If so any info would be great.

How long can these last ... My last one was 10 years old but was not used much -28500 miles

The current one is 8 --

perhaps I can stop by chevy and ask ....not knowing I just want to understand when they say we can't help

Super Moderator
You can get an acdelco battery at any parts store. I usually go oem or optimum is good as well

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks goaliemo with the events of the last 2+ years, I have only been to Chevy and a few auto/tire stores. With unpleasant results due to the events.
But Chevy got some things right.

And I have done some maintenance myself - avoiding the auto stores

I forget how the auto parts stores work.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get an acdelco battery at any parts store. I usually go oem or optimum is good as well
I have never changed one - is it difficult?

first buy battery

1. I guess remove the negative first - wrap in towel (according to GM power book)

2. Then positive - not sure - probably wrap in towel

3. unbolt support screws bolts and remove

4. install battery

5. positive first

6. negative last

7. dispose battery - need to take it the town recycle center - I guess

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will probably have the professionals do it but I guess it is relatively easy

Super Moderator
You're pretty spot on. Easy to do with basic hand tools. If you can get a Delco battery at a parts store, they will change it for free. GM will charge a half hour labor

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You're pretty spot on. Easy to do with basic hand tools. If you can get a Delco battery at a parts store, they will change it for free. GM will charge a half hour labor
Thanks I did not know that -

I will probably go chevy and do it there - it costs more but having a battery whipped together in a parking lot could cause issues.

Our cars need extra protection considering what 15-18 years after manufacturing

Super Moderator
I'd pay the half hour labor as well. At least if anything happens, you know they will take responsibility

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your local mom and pop will know just as much as your local dealer unless you licked put like me and found an ex master saturn tech
I get the free selections of various beverages at chevy - coffee, cappaccinos , lattes , juice etc. And they have the new gm line up while you wait.

The chevy manager said they have an old saturn tech on staff where I go but interestingly the techs have recommended zzp which to me indicates that they are up to date with car technology.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Zzp started when the redline came out so and old tech who was into his ecotec might have know of them
I did not know that about zzp - I learned through redlineforums about them

When I go to chevy, I feel like I have a chevy in a way and perhaps would buy in the future

I also have a chevy symbol on my exhaust tip - does everyone have this?
When I had my resonator replaced - the service tech must have installed it 180 degrees rotated from it's original position

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the new GM acdelco battery

I was getting worried after forgetting that it was almost 9 years old

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The saturn had not parts with the chevy logo on it. The cobalt ss is the same platform and came out a year after the redline so we share lots of parts so you might have a performance exhaust for the cobalt.
You know I find my exhaust sounds a little different then some of the other OEM redlines online you tube videos etc.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am willing to bet it is the GMPP cobalt exhaust. It was not uncommon for people to buy that and extend it a few inches to work on the redline
I think I remember that there were 3 previous owners and one that did not own the car and probably took it to the shop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts