Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me get right to the point and then I will detail what I experienced. I got a lightened flywheel for my 2007 Redline when I got my clutch replaced and it caused a cel and gave me a headache for two months before I finally replaced it with an oe replacement.
Now the long story is back in March I had my clutch replaced because it was slipping. I got a South Bend stage 2 clutch kit, an upgraded LSJ throwout bearing, and all new bolts. I got the job done and picked the car up and the next day driving it around more the cel(check engine light) came on. But my gas cap also needed replacing so I did that and drove it more figuring it would shut off.
When it was still on a couple days later, I checked with my obd tool and it showed a P0300 which is a multi cylinder misfire. The fix is usually new spark plugs and checking your vacuum lines.
And there begins an odyssey during which I replaced my spark plugs, vacuum lines,O2 sensors, supercharger bypass valve, evap purge valve, evap canister purge valve, map sensor, and adding a zzp stage 2 kit after I was told that should take care of it. Thinking it was a performance part it made sense and I had been hedging on doing it anyway with a stimulus check. But none of that helped.
So I started checking online and finding articles where people detailed this issue when switching to a lightened flywheel. But I wanted to be certain so I took it into to a Chevy Dealer and got a case relearn for the crankshaft sensor because it was another thing to check and they also performed an inspection because if it was a bad cylinder or something else I wanted to be certain. $360 later the service advisor informed that there was a bulletin from Chevy about this engine and codes associated with the lightened flywheel. Thankfully my mechanic for the transmission work is a great guy and installed a replacement oe flywheel for half the cost of the original job. The car now runs very smooth and no more cels.

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
Geez. That sounds like a headache.
Ive seen people needing the ark dampner with them since the crank pulley/harmonic balancer counters tge flywheel or some weird science

·
Registered
29 Posts
oh god, I have a zzp aluminum flywheel waiting for when I replace my clutch with a gmp one... maybe I should opt for a stock flywheel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts