Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Before & After Ported M62

9K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Luca Manni 
#1 ·
#5 ·
how long did that take to port?

#12 ·
While it is beneficial to have these holes closed, by welding you will distort the rotor bores and change the heat treat on the aluminum.

Air Leakage Ports:

The two oval slots on the output plate are air leakage ports. Their only purpose is to decrease operational noise from the blower.

#16 ·
If you close those ports on your blower you are a fucktard. There's no other way to put it, that's just how it is.

I'm not sure why this "mod" keeps coming up but I have to assume it's guys that just buy these cars and want a free mod. It's not a mod and at the end of the day, you can ask guys that have done it and suffered the consequences, you'll end up paying for a new motor to replace the one you just pumped full of qiksteel.

No one on here is qualified to say what those ports do or not do and how they'll effect the airflow characteristics of the supercharger. Just because they reduce noise from the blower doesn't mean they don't serve some ancillary purpose.

Don't believe everything you read on the internets. Contrary to popular belief, everything you see on it is not fact - including this rant by myself which actually holds some objective details and not some subjective hysterics about increase in boost and lowering of IAT2 temps.

#21 ·
Your a fucktard.

People can put the evidence right in your face and your are too fucken stupid to read it...Or understand it.

This information is directly from Eaton taken from a Sticky on CSS.net.

http://www.lsjforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95307

Air Leakage Ports:

The two oval slots on the output plate are air leakage ports. Their only purpose is to decrease operational noise from the blower. Arnie, from Eaton Corp., explains their function like this, "When you stomp on the gas, the boost shoots up and the air flow goes supersonic. The air then slams back into the output plate and through the leakage slots, which reduces the hammering of the air into the housing causing less noise. The OEM can not have such loud NVH, that’s why we put them in the housing. The 2 small ports are not there to feed air, only to reduce noise." Basically, for the best flow and most efficiency, these ports can be blocked off, making the outlet port (triangle slot) the only port on the outlet plate of the housing. Closing these ports will not increase IAT's; however, it will make the supercharger much louder when in boost. As an example, aftermarket supercharger companies, such as Harrop, Roush and Magnuson do not use these slots in their blowers. It should be re-stated, that you should consult professionals regarding closing these ports; and do not, for any reason, plug them with JB Weld. Improper closure could eventually lead to pieces coming apart and loose debris destroying the rotors and housing. Opening up these ports will only have a negative effect on efficiency. Do not port them.

Geezzz

Here is another idea for blocking off the silencer holes on a M90.

#18 ·
he used jb weld.... but regardless it's getting ported. hahaha! "fucktard" awesome. crap, now i need S/C oil!

#19 ·
Italian joe was making aluminum plugs that fit in the holes, but had a flange so they could not physically fit through the hole. Some plugs like them, sealed in place with automix aluminum bonding adhesive would be fail proof. The automix stuff is stronger than the metal itself!

#20 ·
Porting the intake side and exhaust port only took me 6 hrs or so from SC removal to SC install. While you have the SC apart its not a bad idea to repack the bearings in the housing as well. The SC oil is available at most stealerships for 4 buck.

#25 ·
ya, buddy sounded really sure of himself, but i whet out and bought quicksteel right after work anyways.... I'm going to rough up or carve grooves the middle of the silencer holes just so the quick steel has somethng extra to bond to. Porting will be finished in the morning. Plus i did a little bit of buffing on all four ports of I/M, now it's flush with gasket.

#26 ·
in my findings on the dyno, i have yet to see a "ported" m62 car do anything over the numbers a stock m62 will do. actually less in my findings.

{disclaimer. these are my findings on a dynojet 424x between 4 cars with similar setups}

#27 ·
hmm, maybe they ported a little too much... i dunno.

#31 ·
OK, so I've decided not to plug the holes with my quicksteel.... When i do plug them it will be with a modified plate to put under there. Ported Blower should be back on in an hour, just gotta buy some grease for bearings first. I ported about 2mm all the way around the triangle, then smoothed it out.

#32 ·
good choice on not doing quicksteel. i had a ported motor on another car that needed some areas welded on the heads to seal properly with the lower intake manifold. i couldn't find anyone to weld the heads so a speedshop said to use quicksteel, they said they use it in a bind on some their race cars and it works great. well, not so much. it failed after about 5k miles of driving and destroyed a motor i spent $3k on to build and countless hours on building it. if you can't do it properly, don't do it. w/that being said, i need to talk to my buddy that own's a cnc machine and see if he can make me a plate like the one on that m90 pic.

#33 ·
The two oval slots on the output plate are air leakage ports. Their only purpose is to decrease operational noise from the blower. Arnie, from Eaton Corp., explains their function like this, "When you stomp on the gas, the boost shoots up and the air flow goes supersonic. The air then slams back into the output plate and through the leakage slots, which reduces the hammering of the air into the housing causing less noise. The OEM can not have such loud NVH, that’s why we put them in the housing. The 2 small ports are not there to feed air, only to reduce noise." Basically, for the best flow and most efficiency, these ports can be blocked off, making the outlet port (triangle slot) the only port on the outlet plate of the housing. Closing these ports will not increase IAT's; however, it will make the supercharger much louder when in boost. As an example, aftermarket supercharger companies, such as Harrop, Roush and Magnuson do not use these slots in their blowers. It should be re-stated, that you should consult professionals regarding closing these ports; and do not, for any reason, plug them with JB Weld. Improper closure could eventually lead to pieces coming apart and loose debris destroying the rotors and housing. Opening up these ports will only have a negative effect on efficiency. Do not port them.[/I]

Geezzz

Here is another idea for blocking off the silencer holes on a M90.

look here my upgrade:

search on youtube:

Eaton M112 supercharger upgrade

(it still does not allow me to insert links here)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.