Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just figured maybe we need a comprehensive thread for a complete listing of products recommended for detailing our vehicles. I've found Meguiars Gold Wax to be a great product. Also the Mr. Clean Car wash kit works good if you don't mind your driveway getting soaked and don't mind using a wash mitt. As far as windows I've found most any cleaning solution but used with a new newspaper gives me a very brilliant shine. Interior I haven't had as much success with the dash or the door handles. It seems like everything I use leaves an oily residue even after vigorous wiping. On the wheels I've found Mother's wheel polish to be great and on the tires and trim Black Magic is good as well as some other products. The one major area I have trouble cleaning is inside the wheel wells. I've tried most cleaners but wind up scrubbing more than I feel necessary. Anyone have any luck out there with that area?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Meguiars Gold and Mr Clean Auto Wash here too. For removing bugs (it's love bug season here in FL), I use a sponge that has a mesh covering over it. Works really great with minimal effort.

I haven't cleaned the windows on this car yet. I had picked up something a few weeks back, I think Black Magic windshield cleaner, and also one of those blue window cloths and used it on my 93 SL2 and it worked great. The windshield was sparkling.

For the inside I use this orangish looking sponge that I picked up somewhere many years ago, can't remember the brand but it cleans up the inside without any residue left behind.

I'm new to having any sort of wheels so I haven't got a suggestion for those. I got quite a bit of the brake dust out of the inside by sliding my hand in there. Luckily my hands are small enough that they fit. I do have some strange looking black spots on one of the back ones that will not come off. Eventually we'll take them off and do a complete clean.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I use the Meguir's 3 Step System-thingy. Paint cleaner, polish, wax. I finally got around to using it on the Redline. I substituted the Mother's Clay Bar system in place of the polish this time. I'm not sure if it worked better, but it worked as good, and took ALOT less effort.

I had been using chrome polish on the wheels, but I read in the manual for the car not to use it on our wheels. I figured if it was safe for chrome it would be safe for the aluminum. Guess not.

The Mr. Clean thingy works pretty damn good too...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Here is what I have been using so far...
Wash: Mr. Clean works awesome - I hate having to dry a car by hand. Also that bug scrubbing sponge that loreg was talking about it does work really good at getting the bugs off

Tires: Sometimes Black Magic wet shine for really shiny black tires and sometimes Turtle Wax professional tire dressing for more of a subtle black (no drips, runs or spinoff)

Inside: Armor All - I love the shine it gives

Wax: Finishing up some Turtle wax I have but I just bought some "Nanowax" from Eagle one. Its supposed to be a polisher/wax all in one but haven't had a chance to try it yet

Wheels: Turtle wax F2000 foaming tire cleaner. It works great. I barely have to scrub and it really disolves the break dust.

Windows: Basic window cleaner for now. Going to get some RainX wipes soon

I know there are better products out there but I really like the results with most Turtle Wax products I have tried...I just don't have the $$ right now for more expensive brands. And I figure if I detail the car once a week it will stay in pretty good condition ;)

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I use what ever my dad has laying around, now it ain't cheap stuff but it isn't the best either. But I found that none of products took the brake dust off the wheels, so I went out and bought some Simoniz (spelling?) Rim(maybe Wheel) Cleaner..it was on-sale..lol. I must say, you spray it on, let it sit for about a minute, and wash it off. It does a real good job for being 9 bucks. 2 coats of the stuff and they look new (cept for some minor scratches).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Meguiars NXT Tech Wax.......definitely.

my car is a rolling detailing company. at any one time i have at least 30 bottles of detailing stuff and at least 20-25 towels of different sizes, and a few assorted brushes.

i stole 3 walmart carrying baskets and have em all full of crap for my car.....its nuts. people at car shows love me :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
TXRLU said:
As far as windows I've found most any cleaning solution but used with a new newspaper gives me a very brilliant shine.
Okay, I have heard this before. Just clean using a newspaper? The print sections?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kirtsky said:
Okay, I have heard this before. Just clean using a newspaper? The print sections?

Black and white section. I find the Sports Section works well, I wouldn't recommend using the Funnies because no telling what Garfield or Ziggy have gotten into :p

Seriously though, use the Black and White print newspaper (the newer the better for whatever reason, maybe something to do with fresh ink?) and just any regular window cleaner. You'll be amazed at how streak-free and brilliant you can get the windows.

Oh and I was waxing my car yesterday with Meguiar's Gold and I've noticed that the Wax has turned an off yellow-cream color. Anyone else experience this? It used to be a white cream color but has turned yellow for some reason. Maybe it saw me use that bottle of Turtle Wax the other day and got pissed?!?! :confused:

·
Registered
155 Posts
TXRLU said:
Just figured maybe we need a comprehensive thread for a complete listing of products recommended for detailing our vehicles. I've found Meguiars Gold Wax to be a great product. Also the Mr. Clean Car wash kit works good if you don't mind your driveway getting soaked and don't mind using a wash mitt. As far as windows I've found most any cleaning solution but used with a new newspaper gives me a very brilliant shine. Interior I haven't had as much success with the dash or the door handles. It seems like everything I use leaves an oily residue even after vigorous wiping. On the wheels I've found Mother's wheel polish to be great and on the tires and trim Black Magic is good as well as some other products. The one major area I have trouble cleaning is inside the wheel wells. I've tried most cleaners but wind up scrubbing more than I feel necessary. Anyone have any luck out there with that area?
I pretty much use the same products as you. One thing I use that you don't is the meguiars Hot shine tire spray. The can with the adjustable spray pattern for low pro tires. That stuff is the best!! It will keep my tires looking wet for a good week or 2 and it doesn't collect dust like others do. Just don't use it on 35" tires because not only does it take forever, it takes a whole can to do 4 tires! haha

josh

·
Registered
302 Posts
a good thing to use on the inside of the wheels is degreaser, spray it good on the inside of the rim, and pressure wash it out, and it will all come out, that is what i do.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I just want shoppin the other day. For the inside Armoral Orange Wipers, THESE THINGS ARE GREAT. They did an excelent job on the interior I must say. Outside just like everyone else I went out and got the Mr. Clean Auto Dry it is aweseome! However before I used it I used a power washer for rinsing it since its the same thing. For the rims, I took them off completely and pressure washed the whole thing and then degreeser again and then let it see for a little and then pressure washed again WORKED GREAT. I also used the Turtle Wax Tire Wet. Makes the tires shine really nice I loved the look it gave. For the windwos I just coated them all with RainX I love what it does to the windows. For cleaning the windows though I had a foamy type professional glass cleaner I got from wal-mart that worked really great. Almost out though was thinkin of trying something else. Well yea theres my list!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a question guys, When i put my hydraulics on the bottom of the cylinder rubbed on my CV boots and the grease went everywhere inside my wheels and my wheel well. My wife tried cleaning it up once while I was washing the car with engine cleaner but it was too much and she gave up. Anyone know what to use that will make this easier?

Josh

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
if you pull the wheel of you could try a few different things. fist a good wheel cleaner will cut through most of anything, just dont get it on the paint. second gasoline. i know it doesnt sound good but usually works well. again not on the paint. the black paint under there should be fine as long as you are not letting it sit there for a long time and rinse very well when done.

i prefer mothers for over the counter products. also the new eagle1 nanowax is some great stuff i was very impressed by how easy it came off and the job it did was awsome. for in between waxings i use slick stuff spray on wax works really good. but i usually use pro stuff some the body shop suplly stores, like 3m or mst (local company right here) and theres nothing better than stuff like this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
zfactor said:
if you pull the wheel of you could try a few different things. fist a good wheel cleaner will cut through most of anything, just dont get it on the paint. second gasoline. i know it doesnt sound good but usually works well. again not on the paint. the black paint under there should be fine as long as you are not letting it sit there for a long time and rinse very well when done.
Hmmm.. I'll try the wheel cleaner. I'm not worried about the paint, it's getting painted in a couple months anyways. I have no fenderwells so that nasty grease is all up in my door jams and everything! What a mess!!!!

Josh

·
Registered
762 Posts
when you let the stuff sit on spray it off with a pressure washer :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not to sound red-necky or anything (I'm not by the way :D) but WD-40 should take the stubborn stains off shouldn't it? I would spray it in an inconspicuous spot first thought to check for markings. I would recommend most anything oil-based to help clean the grease off. I've even considered some WD-40 to get the nasty tar and other stuff off of my painted areas but I know that's not really wise. Anyone else heard of WD-40 working for this type of application?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts